Impact! announces $35 plastic team sets

A forum for football mini's talk.......painting, converting etc. etc. or showing off great accessories that make playing the game easier, cooler or more fun.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Chris
Legend
Legend

Re: Impact! announces $35 plastic team sets

Post by Chris »

Just seen this - amasing stuff. Truely great, really a price point that for such a niche product is incredible. I will not be able to resist picking up the teams I haven't got (and had no intention of getting!) as they are converted!

My only remaining hope is the other BB companies can find a way to work through you to offer the same value on their products!

Reason: ''
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

Chris wrote:My only remaining hope is the other BB companies can find a way to work through you to offer the same value on their products!
We are definitely open to it and Chris and I have even discussed how such a license would work. Right now our plastic caster is backlogged with work for us. We have 75 new miniatures we are releasing in April that he still needs to create moulds for (not FF related). So he is working as quickly as possible to get those finished and working in our pewter conversion moulds at the same time.

It is our hope to have a good 20 different teams in plastic at $35 by the end of 2013.

We are very hopeful for the new line of plastic figures. We've sold more plastic Sarcos and Scotling teams in the last 6 weeks than we did for the teams in pewter in last 6 months. Heck I was able to actually get a profit distribution from Impact! in January and February to help pay down the credit cards (something I didn't get in November and December of last year). So like I said ... high hopes.

I "believe" that the 3 different Ape teams will hit our store by March 15th. Like I said we've literally packed the plastic caster with work both from our new lines and our orders for plastic conversions, so deadlines are flimsy things right now. Our Kickstarter for new figures last year is requiring us to cast up 27,000 miniatures to fullfill so he is trying to have them completely finished in the next 30 days while trying to fit in pewter to plastic conversions for us as well.

Tom

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
Magictobe
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Magictobe »

GalakStarscraper wrote: It is our hope to have a good 20 different teams in plastic at $35 by the end of 2013.

That is some great news. There is an overall good response to the fact that you can get the price so low for the plastic teams. It makes the beginning step for new bloodbowl players less expensive so easier to take.

On one hand you see metal team prices going up and up towards 100$ and more. It was a good time to go plastic!!!!

Norse
Da Organiza

Post by Norse »

Tom sent me some plastic samples as a surprise gift - must say I am hugely impressed..

the quality of the moulds is phenomenal - no difference at all vs the same model in metal. Overall I'm blown away. Gnome contraptions are definitely on my list now, along with all kinds of other stuff too...

later today I'll assemble a plastic Sarcos and compare side by side with a metal one.. I'll also try a few drop tests to see if they can bounce off tiles..

so far though, wow!

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Mine turned up today (thanks Tom), and they're fantastic.
I had thought I'd just take Norse and Underworld to NAF tourneys after the ARBBL, but that plan may now have changed.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Norse
Da Organiza

Post by Norse »

so, as promised, I quickly assembled and undercoated two identical Sarcos in the last hour. I normally take quite some time to prep a mini before assembly, but on this occassion I decided to just do a quick a dirty assembly like I did when I was a kid - each mini was glued together with super glue after the worst flash was clipped off.. 1 minute per mini.. the results before and after undercoat - I deliberately did not resize the images because I want you guys to be able to zoom in and compare the two minis...

in general, I'm blown away. if anything, the detail on the plastic is BETTER and crisper than it is on the pewter (though in fairness the pewter has been rolling around in my minis box for a couple of years). The quality of the finished mini is also better on the plastic - no visible mould lines, no real flash to speak of, very clean. Obviously, the plastic mini is lighter, but not fragile - I dropped the mini repeatedly on purpose (and at least once by accident :oops: ). The only tiny criticism I have is that I tried gluing it together with my normal plastic cement (you know, the kind that melts the surface, the same kind I use on GW plastics) and it didn't do anything. I rather prefer using plastic glue over superglue as it gives you a few seconds to smush the pieces together to fill all the tiny gaps. Other than that though, I'm completely sold.. cheaper, just as high quality if not higher quality, probably easier to convert too, though I ain't chopping these guys up!

Norse seal of approval!

edit: in the undercoated images, the plastic model is on the left (I think LOL)

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

Thanks for the review Norse!!! That's awesome.

My guess is that the extra chemicals that Ed needed to add to the plastic in order to make it spinable causes it to no longer react with normal plastics glue (which I've used on GW sprues for years as well).

I had not yet had a chance to try plastics glue on the material so I appreciate having that question answered.

Large scale mass production with this material is new to the caster and to us. So I hope everything will just get better as we keep going forward.

Tom

Steam Ball
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Steam Ball »

There are multiple plastic glues, some multipurpose some single target. The one for miniatures is targeted at polystyrene, the typical plastic in such kits. But you can try getting other glues (some safer than others) and try. People just insist in putting all the plastics, resins and metal alloys in the same bag and acting like if that was true.

Now, I am going to change the vynil, this is scratched a lot lot lot lot... :smoking:

the solitaire
Star Player
Star Player

Post by the solitaire »

Thnx for the comparison norse and thnx for making those available to the public Galak!

You mentionde these were resin based plastic which explains why the standard plastic glue doesn´t work on them.

I don´t see a problem there though. The standard plastic glue doesn´t work on the finecast or privateerpress plastics either.

If you can´t fix it with a hammer, you have an electric problem
Flytime1
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Flytime1 »

Good work. Then the other teams are released, I´m going to get at least one, for sure.

Norse
Da Organiza

Post by Norse »

@ the solitaire - good to know, I've never bought Privateer plastics, but I had already assumed my Revell cement would not work on finecast (not that I ever intend adding any to my collection!) :roll: ...

if this is a resin based plastic, it shares none of the brittle/bubble finish issues I have observed on other resins.. this is just like a GW styrene mini other than the fact it needs superglue to assemble..

oh yeah, and it's affordable and far, FAR better designed... :wink: :lol: :smoking:

velvet mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by velvet mark »

The plastics look really crisp, cheers for the pictures Norse. They are on this months' payday shopping list!

Olaf the Stout
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Olaf the Stout »

I just received some of the Sarcos and Scotlings plastic resin minis as sponsorship from a group order for the tournament I'm organising (AusBowl State Championship & SA Open). The details on both teams look nice and crisp, possibly even better than their metal counterparts.

Olaf the Stout

Gaixo

Post by Gaixo »

I received the generous gift of some Sarcos for my tournament, as well. I've always been a metal purist, but these really look terrific. I think these team sets could revolutionize the game to some extent, as it will be much easier to attract new coaches if you can steer them toward models that are both inexpensive and nice-looking.

ChenZhen
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by ChenZhen »

It already has attracted at least one coach. Our gaming group had been talking about trying blood bowl for a bit. The cost of teams and/or the challenge of extensive converting was a barrier for several people .

I suggested that one of the coaches try playing a fumbbl game with lizards to see if they liked it.

They liked the team. I showed them the impact lizards, and they were sold. Both on the minis and the hobby!

Well done impact! :orc: