Why are Human Catchers 70K?

Got some ideas for rules? Maybe a skill change or something completely different!!! Tell us here.

Moderator: TFF Mods

JJB
Honorary Asmodan

Post by JJB »

I understand that a key reason behind the high price of the catcher, and any other imposed limitations on the human team, is due to the human's ability to get four blitzers.

While high and pro elves and skavens only get 2 blitzers.

However, it's clear that the humans' benefit of the 4 blitzers influences long-term development, while the catchers' drawback of costing 70k is mainly a short-term hindrance.

Reason: ''
Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

There are quite a few teams that have 4 blitzers as well

katadder
Veteran
Veteran

Post by katadder »

thought catch would be a 20k skill anyway but could be worse, you could be a slann catcher with no defensive skills for 80k ;)

[quote="Panda"]I blame katadder for my inevitable downfall :wink:[/quote]
JJB
Honorary Asmodan

Post by JJB »

Grumbledook wrote:There are quite a few teams that have 4 blitzers as well
The orcs, whose access to agility and speed is far lower, and the dark elves who are slow, and a lot more expensive across the board anyway.

Norse and amazons are both slow-ish and don't have the balance of skills that the humans have (maybe more of a moot point for amazons).

JaM
Legend
Legend

Post by JaM »

Pro Elves have 2 blitzers with STR 3, and possibly 4 catchers with 3 also. Turning a PE cather into something more blitzy is quite easy.

STR3 isn the sollution, adding fend and/or AV 8 sounds better to me.

Grogmir
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Grogmir »

JJB wrote:.....However, it's clear that the humans' benefit of the 4 blitzers influences long-term development, while the catchers' drawback of costing 70k is mainly a short-term hindrance.
Cathers main draw back is ST2 and AV7 - and that doesn't matter short or long term.
purdinda wrote:.....I've said it before but I'll say it again. ST 2 and AV 7 is a recipe for disaster.
Too true Purdinda - too true.

Spike Cup Reading 07 -- Runner Up, DE's. Damn you Lycos!
Conflict south 07 - Winner, Dark Elves.
Brighton BB league runner up 07 - DE's.
Brighton BB league runner up 06 - Dwarves
JaM
Legend
Legend

Post by JaM »

However, 60K might be good, I dont think I would feel as robbed as I wold do now.

Still, fend or sidestep added would eb nice, too, as would be AV8. The last one would be my favorite, makes them a tad more durable.

Ironjaw
Crassest person in Blood Bowl

Post by Ironjaw »

Grogmir wrote:Too true Purdinda - too true.
It's Purdinas- as in Purdindas Crispy Pancakes...

Mr 1-in-20
JJB
Honorary Asmodan

Post by JJB »

Grogmir wrote:
JJB wrote:.....However, it's clear that the humans' benefit of the 4 blitzers influences long-term development, while the catchers' drawback of costing 70k is mainly a short-term hindrance.
Cathers main draw back is ST2 and AV7 - and that doesn't matter short or long term.
I believe the main point originally raised in that thread is the cost, i.e catchers are too expensive for what they are. Rather than "why aren't catchers better" (regardless of the price).
The former is what my answer is for.

With access to ag skills, ST2 + AV7 still works OK in the long run. Try dealing with a blodge side-step sure feet pass block catcher - you will suffer.

Joemanji
Power Gamer

Post by Joemanji »

JJB wrote:With access to ag skills, ST2 + AV7 still works OK in the long run. Try dealing with a blodge side-step sure feet pass block catcher - you will suffer.
And now compare that player to a 4-skill HE catcher or GR. Who wins? And those AG4 types skill up faster to get those 4 skills too.

HE Catcher _ 8 3 4 7 Catch, Block, Dodge, Side Step, Sure Feet. Yes please! He gets +1 ST and +1AG (but lose pass block - oh no) for a 10K increase.

The point is: Human Catchers are poor value as rookies and even worse value as they develop when compared to those other catcher types. Skills like Block, Dodge etc are better on a ST3, AG4 by huge factor, yet they add 20K to each player's TV just the same. The more skills you add to a Human Catcher, the worse value he becomes when compared to a similarly skilled player. And he has to work harder for those SPPs too: he is more likely to die in a block, twice as likely to fail a pickup and FOUR times more likely to fail a catch.

*This post may have been made without the use of a hat.
JJB
Honorary Asmodan

Post by JJB »

And the 4 human blitzers with block, MB, guard, SF and tackle will clear the pitch of high elves or skavens.

Joemanji
Power Gamer

Post by Joemanji »

Can we stay in reality please? :wink:

*This post may have been made without the use of a hat.
Ironjaw
Crassest person in Blood Bowl

Post by Ironjaw »

I hate that in LRB6, halflings are probably gonna do 'em

Mr 1-in-20
Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

having played a LRB5+ fling team in a league setting for a few games, the success of them in NAF tournaments is more down to bad tournament rules giving them an extra leg up which breaks the inducement rules

tzoscey
Veteran
Veteran

Post by tzoscey »

if you want to change the human catchers,
plis give the orc thrower a 9 AV or 6 MO, making them more expensive, of course :P more or less 10K xD

MO 8 is the very reason of their price, a very good Mo for human

One Orc, Two Orc , Another injury