First-hand feedback on this year's BB tourney rules

Moderators: lunchmoney, Jimjimjimany, Boneless, deeferdan, TFF Mods

Indigo
Not Grumpy in the slightest

First-hand feedback on this year's BB tourney rules

Post by Indigo »

Having played in an 3 match "official" GW tourney at WW using this year's rules I thought I'd give some feedback.

As expected, there were a huge number of wood elf and skaven teams in attendance. Out of 24 coaches, 18 were either wood elf or skaven.

The average result was 2-1, but there were a sizeable number of 2 TD victories too - to be expected given the number of welf/skaven teams. (Highest win margin was 5 TDs, and it was by me ;))

The scoring system seemed to work OK but I think this was because of the general quality of coaches playing which, to be fair, wasn't all that high. No coach won all their games, and those that were in the lead after game 2 were beaten in round 3. Since good coaches at the BB are likely to win more it's uncertain as to whether it'll be this close on the day.

Bear in mind this tourney was a "cell" tournament for just 4 stores, so there were people there using Chaos pact teams (wtf?? ), despite them not being allowed, and more than one person "forgot" the price of a treeman so their welf team weighed in at about TR115 - 120. And the tourney management was pretty crap. But in terms of the scoring system, it worked a bit better than I expected. Still, if they wanted a system that rewards large victories and one that will generate a good spread of points they should still use the Spiky one.

Reason: ''
Tim
Da Tulip Champ II

Post by Tim »

How was the quiz? :wink: :P

"In NUFFLE we trust!" - Retired Inquisitor of Nuffle.
Father of the Halfling Scribe
Admin of the Kurpfalz Cup
Indigo

Post by Indigo »

Tim wrote:How was the quiz? :wink: :P
lol they didn't do one.
I took your spreadsheet, altered to handle a win by 3 TDs (getting better with this excel thing ;)) and despite showing them it could handle everything effortlessly he said "no I want to do it all on paper" :roll:

Tim
Da Tulip Champ II

Post by Tim »

Oh, the i did a new version that does that and more.

It can now handle bonuses like the TKC does or the "1 bonus point for 3 CAS caused" of the Dutch Open.

It's basicly ready for release now.

DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

I've started working on my tournament manager program again (to get it ready for PK&Qs) and will probably have a beta release in a couple of weeks.

Ian 'Double Skulls' Williams
Old_Man_Monkey
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Old_Man_Monkey »

Tim/Ian - why don't you guys lock heads and develop the definitive tournament software package? Rather than two good ones, or two great ones, for that matter, how about a single superlative version?

Speak TRUTH to power.
DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

Old_Man_Monkey wrote:Tim/Ian - why don't you guys lock heads and develop the definitive tournament software package? Rather than two good ones, or two great ones, for that matter, how about a single superlative version?
AFAIK Tim is producing an Excel system, while mine is a Java program.

Also competition is good - it helps both of us develop a better system - and this way people have choice too.

Indigo

Post by Indigo »

It can be argued that you're both essentially developing the same thing though. Besides there's no need for choice if there is one system that does everything people want.

take windows for example

[ducks] ;)

Tim
Da Tulip Champ II

Post by Tim »

I think both solutions should coexist. Excel allows the non-programmer to play around and tweak the sheet. Java has better possiblities to do complicated things and allows better web presentation/integration.

Actually there already is a web-based tournament management software, done by Niels (?) and used in all Amsterdam tournaments (T5, Dutch Open, Euro Bowl) and the ABBA league (?):

http://bloodbowl.denes.nl/dutch.open.20 ... l/index.pl
http://bloodbowl.denes.nl/

So as usual we (as a community) do things unefficiently and with multiple effort, but as long as we enjoy it (it's related to our hobby), who cares? :wink:

DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

Tim wrote:So as usual we (as a community) do things unefficiently and with multiple effort, but as long as we enjoy it (it's related to our hobby), who cares? :wink:
:oops: Probably my boss if he realised I was doing it while I'm supposed to be working - but one java program looks pretty much like any other :D

Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

i have already made a system that does all that anyone who wants it can go and buy it

just pop into a stationers and ask for "pen and paper" they should know what you mean its a big seller these days

Indigo

Post by Indigo »

"everything changes" dook, and I think that computerised tourney trackers like this are "back for good"...

Tim
Da Tulip Champ II

Post by Tim »

Grumbledook wrote:just pop into a stationers and ask for "pen and paper" they should know what you mean its a big seller these days
I want to see you organizing a 70-100 player tournament with bonus points systems and swiss system just with pen and paper. Then we speak again ...

hoomin_erra
Leek chewing thread Necromancer

Post by hoomin_erra »

You gotta remember, to Grum, this writing thing is still pretty new. As far as he is concerned, it's modern technology. And even then, he's only mastered the crude picture drawing stage

A weirdo in a Bowler hat and a Kilt!!!!!
[url=http://www.createforum.com/teamscotlandbb/index.php?mforum=teamscotlandbb/]Scotland's BB Forum[/url]

Lucifer is Broken!!!!
Max Horseman
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Max Horseman »

With Crayons.....

Used to play abit