Results, Pictures From The Bloodbowl (updated 17 March)

Moderators: lunchmoney, Jimjimjimany, Boneless, deeferdan, TFF Mods

Ancalagon
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Ancalagon »

Sputnik wrote: It was nice to see another interesting Lizzie tactic!
You should tell that tactic to me, I only runned as much as I could!!!
Sputnik wrote:I might incorporate one or two brilliant moves in my personal playbook. Especially how to score under heavy pressure :lol: :lol: :wink:
If you're talking about that last TD with ball between luthor and sideline, was the only I could do, and had luck!!!

-next time I'll use a dice cup too, maybe this was the key-

Reason: ''
If you love something, let it go. If it doesn’t come back to you, hunt it down and kill it.
Sputnik
Loretta

Post by Sputnik »

Anca wrote:
If you're talking about that last TD with ball between luthor and sideline, was the only I could do, and had luck!!!
Yes, this was luck. But seriously, there were some very nice moves with which you surprised me. I will try them in my next game with the Sun Devilzzzzzzz... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Marcus wrote:
If I recall our last match sputnik, your play for scoring under heavy pressure is to make 4 consecutive dodge rolls through my players and run in for the touchdown
And did it work?? If I remember that attempt from the first half, I failed the second dodge miserably, right??? :cry: :cry:

There is always next time.... :wink:

Sputnik

I won some impressive titles in 198X, some more in 199X, even more impressive titles in 200X, some of them REALLY impressive, and a few even MORE impressive! Not to mention a lot of less impressive ones.
Ancalagon

Post by Ancalagon »

Sputnik wrote:Yes, this was luck. But seriously, there were some very nice moves with which you surprised me. I will try them in my next game with the Sun Devilzzzzzzz... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:roll: I cannot remember, I was a bit sleepy, I think you were more awake than me, but at the end seems I played well although lost... and did good things without notice :lol: :lol: :lol:

In fact the only good move at tournament I remember was against one german guy (I didn't remember his name but was one of the best human players ever met)

If you love something, let it go. If it doesn’t come back to you, hunt it down and kill it.
Longshot
Da Capt'ain

Post by Longshot »

well, all i have to say is thx to everybody!
Fondu77 ans l_dauguet, dutch companie, DW, LF, Grumble, Zy-nox,richard, ian, All the germans that i ve met (and not only sputnik!)
Spainish squad!!! John, Ant, Brian, Andy, Jervis, and all of the guys i ve met this WE, it was like everytime: Superbe

c ya soon
#92 Miniere Yohann (2W3D1L)
My loss was after 1 turn, got my 2 Wardancers injured...

Lightning' bugs for the win

http://teamfrancebb.positifforum.com/
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Princelucianus wrote: And ''if you didn't play Griff the whole weekend, you weren't in Nottingham'' :P :P :P
Knew I'd got lost. :lol:

Didn't get "Griffed", but did get "Varaged" 3 times, "Morged", "Grashnaked" and "HThaked" twice, and someone tried to "Luthor" me, but my rats weren't afraid of no vampire.

Goblins though, that's a different matter :lol:

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Information for Mocaiv

Post by Smeborg »

Hi guys -

Mocaiv - if you would care to update the list, Paul Deacon (8th place) is also known as Smeborg on the net. Team: The Spikeheads (Chaos Dwarf).

I also won the "Furthest Travelled Away Coach" award (bit of a mouthful, but that's what it says). I live in Singapore - just got back.

It was great meeting guys that I only knew on the net, such as Lucy, Longfang, Grumbledook and Deathwing. Played against Longfang and Lucy, sadly lost to Lucy and Luthor in my second match. But the Hobgoblins did well - four of them took the ball off Luthor at one point, before he scrambled in the winner. This was the only time in the tournament that my opponent scored on his receive (might as well blow my trumpet), confirming that Lucy was the strongest opponent I faced - certainly what I felt at the time. Lucy did well, being one of only 3 players to win his first 5 games, playing his last game at the second board.

Managed to win my other 5 games - certainly made the travelling worthwhile. 3 of the games I played (first against Longfang's Humans, second against Lucy's Undead, last against Emyr Mortimer-Roberts' Chaos Dwarfs) were among the closest, hardest fought and most satisfying games of BB that I have ever played. The other games were far from pushovers too. Had a bit of help from Nuffle along the way.

Cheers

Smeborg the Fleshless
Marcus
Da Tulip Champ I

Post by Marcus »

Did you have Hthark on your roster? If so I'm going to take a small measure of pride in being the highest place coach without a Star Player ;)

Probably shows I was stupid not to take one....

Marcus - [url=http://www.talkbloodbowl.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=42448#42448]Hall of Famer[/url] - [url=http://www.irwilliams.com/ecbbl/index.php]Edinboro Castle Blood Bowl League[/url]
Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

yes he did, funny how everyone looks for their own way of how they came top isn't it ;]

Marcus
Da Tulip Champ I

Post by Marcus »

:D

I'm just kicking myself I didn't take one.

Marcus - [url=http://www.talkbloodbowl.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=42448#42448]Hall of Famer[/url] - [url=http://www.irwilliams.com/ecbbl/index.php]Edinboro Castle Blood Bowl League[/url]
Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

I think if the rules stay as they are next year we will see rather different rosters and alot of star heavy ones.

Think I will stick with the same roster, seemed pretty sound and I know where i went wrong in the game i lost.

Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Hthark and a correction

Post by Smeborg »

Hi Marcus -

Yes, I had Hthark in my roster. I don't like playing BB with Star Players, but I like to compete well in tournaments - that's part of the fun. For a Chaos Dwarf player, taking Hthark is a no brainer - he costs the same as a rookie Bull Centaur plus a Re-roll. Rookie Bull Centaurs, even with one skill, are of questionable value in a tournament (they need 2 or 3 skill advances to become awesome).

I'd never played with Hthark before, apart from in 3 practice games before the tournament. So using him in Nottingham was a learning experience for me. Despite a policy of using Hthark as the ball carrier, he only scored 3 out of my 9 TDs (I think).

I was pleased with my roster in practice: Hthark, 6 Chaos Dwarfs, 6 Hobgoblins, 3 Re-rolls, 1 Fan Factor. The roster worked well against other Chaos Dwarfs (my last 2 games) when no Htharks were allowed on the pitch. Suddenly it was real Blood Bowl, with 820,000 g.p. rosters!

There was also a game with a Blizzard right through, reducing Hthark's effectiveness (difficulty going for it). And late in another game, Hthark became a casualty (my opponent's Krox followed one turn later). So overall, albeit by chance, Hthark turned out to have far less influence on the proceedings than I was expecting.

As usual, and as in the heady days of 3rd Edition (before Bull Centaurs), the Hobgoblins won my games. As the saying goes, if pawns are the soul of chess, Hobgoblins are the soul of Blood Bowl...

In my last post, I said that Lucy was the only opponent to score against the Spikeheads when receiving. I tell a lie - I think Lorne Brown (Chaos Dwarfs) also did it. Even on this occasion, however, as with the Luthor incident, my Hobgoblins had retrieved the ball before coughing it up again (they're obviously good at both!).

Overall, I was very pleased with my defensive record: only 4 TDs conceded, of which just 2 were on my opponent's receive. My offensive record was relatively poor, however: only 9 TDs scored, of which just 3 TDs (I think) were scored on my receive (looks like I received 8 times in the tournament). So that's as many as 5 TDs that went begging. And come to think about it, what does it say about my playing style if I conceded as many TDs when receiving as when kicking?

Ah well, back to the drawing board again...

Cheers

Smeborg the Fleshless
Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Grubledook's roster

Post by Smeborg »

Hi Grumbledook -

May I know your roster?

And, if the same format is maintained for next year's tournament, would you be tempted to go OTT like this year's winner and take 2 Star Players (i.e. Hthark and Granshnak)?

Cheers

Smeborg the Fleshless
Thadrin
Moaning Git

Post by Thadrin »

He DID take both! :lol: Got him 4th place.

(if they have the same rules next year I'll be playing Skaven. I'll also be wondering what the hell they're thinking.)

I know a bear that you don't know. * ICEPELT IS MY HERO.
Master bleater. * Not in the clique.
Member of the "3 digit" club.
Deathwing
The Voice of Reason

Post by Deathwing »

Thadrin wrote:
Norse wrote: I'll always use Dwarves if there's NAF points for grabs. Period. :pissed:
Yeah. What he said.
Thadrin wrote:
(if they have the same rules next year I'll be playing Skaven. I'll also be wondering what the hell they're thinking.)
Now what did I say pre-BB about the useless boring little bastards being capable of winning SFA, particularly under that format? :wink:
Oh foolish Dwarven pride.... :lol:

"Deathwing treats newcomers like sh*t"
"...the brain dead Mod.."
firebreather
Champion Muppet

Post by firebreather »

id be interested to know how many used rookie teams, its had been years since id played around star players i forgot how good they were, if star players are in it next year then i wont be. Made a few of my games really dull :zzz: