Reason: ''
Stunty King of Lutèce Bowl 2006!:lol:

Owner of a "Deputy Dook Badge"
Stikki
Rookie
Rookie

World Cup

Post by Stikki »

I vote for Cambridge - it's close to Stansted with a very cheap rail link and easy road access both from the airport and from London itself. It would be cheaper than London. There should be plenty of available accommodation - especially if it happened to be over Easter as the University might offer cheap rooms out of term time.

Also, Indigo knows the place well which should help in finding a venue.

I think a World Cup is a great idea - and doing it outside Games Workshop is good, but their participation might be nice, even if it's unofficial (some specially designed minis/a talk from Jervis, etc)

But there definitely has to be a second tourney alongside - let's face it, most coaches will be from the UK and most won't be making it into the country team, so there has to be something for us to do apart from watch or play friendlies.

PS: Does anyone know how to get obscure country nationality? I'm thinking of trying for Team Vatican :D

CyberHare
Star Player
Star Player

Post by CyberHare »

Thanks to the graphically inclined Mr.Watts we have a new header for the World Cup web site. At least now it's actually a BB web site as opposed to a soccer web site :)

Check it out http://www.nafworldcup.com

Brian St.James

Death Bowl IV - Only the best will survive!
Find out more at www.TheDeathBowl.com
JaM
Legend
Legend

Post by JaM »

This sounds good !! If possible I'll be there, I have NO idea what kind of work I'll be doing then anyway...

Open format sounds good to me, so does wed-sat, for the "post-match sequence" (empty, refill, empty, refill, repeat ad nausea :D ).

DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

Well, since I'm one of those with furthest to travel (and at that stage a one year old to contend with) I'm pretty sure that I'd be including the event as part of a longer holiday so it doesn't make any difference at all to me personnally.

Wed -> Sat is at least 3 days off work for most of us.
Thurs -> Sun is at least 2 days off work for most of us. If you have to take Monday off too to travel back you are still no worse off. If you don't have to take a day off then you are better off. Therefore for the majority it probably won't make a difference. For those who it does make a difference there are many more who save a day off work.

So, IMO, you aren't helping the intentional crowd at all by having the event Wednesday-> Saturday and just penalising quite a few locals.

And if we do want to have a big night out we can always have it Saturday for the traditional "Sunday hangover" for gaming. TBH after 4 days & nights of gaming & drinking a big meal on the last night doesn't seem that appropriate. If anything I'd put it near the beginning (maybe the Thursday night?).

Ian 'Double Skulls' Williams
CyberHare
Star Player
Star Player

Post by CyberHare »

ianwilliams wrote:TBH after 4 days & nights of gaming & drinking a big meal on the last night doesn't seem that appropriate. If anything I'd put it near the beginning (maybe the Thursday night?).
Really? TBH that goes against everything I've ever learned about event management. I'm not saying it's absolutely wrong I've just never heard of an event being done that way. Normally here you begin an event with a "bang", something exciting to get everyone involved in the event and you end it with a "toast", an opportunity for everyone involved to say their thank's, shake a few hands and say their goodbye's. Having a dinner near the beginning of the event would be to me like putting the cart before the horse as the saying goes. It would also leave everyone with little closure at the end of the event other than a quick handing out of awards and scattered bar hops.

Brian St.James

grotuk
Super Star
Super Star

Post by grotuk »

CyberHare wrote:
ianwilliams wrote:TBH after 4 days & nights of gaming & drinking a big meal on the last night doesn't seem that appropriate. If anything I'd put it near the beginning (maybe the Thursday night?).
Really? TBH that goes against everything I've ever learned about event management. I'm not saying it's absolutely wrong I've just never heard of an event being done that way. Normally here you begin an event with a "bang", something exciting to get everyone involved in the event and you end it with a "toast", an opportunity for everyone involved to say their thank's, shake a few hands and say their goodbye's. Having a dinner near the beginning of the event would be to me like putting the cart before the horse as the saying goes. It would also leave everyone with little closure at the end of the event other than a quick handing out of awards and scattered bar hops.
Im agree with you

Podfrey
Bum Monkey

Post by Podfrey »

Don't know whether this is helpful, but the British Historical Games Society (BHGS) run a 4 day event in the UK every year (and for 2006, 2007 & 2008 it has already signed agreements to stay in the same place in the same venue in Manchester) - http://www.bhgs.co.uk/Nationals/IntroPage.htm

There may be scope to piggy back onto the venue and accommodation facilities there as I know the Mind Sports Olympiad also do - http://www.msoworld.com/Olympiad/

TalonBay
Star Player
Star Player

Post by TalonBay »

I play ancients at the BHGS tournament mentioned (Britcon) and it's a great weekend.

There is already a bloodbowl event as part of the whole thing I think, at least I'm sure I've seen plenty of games being played. It might be worth getting in touch with the organisers if you wanted to coordinate something (I can give you JD's email address if you want to PM me).

Cheers,
Gary.

CyberHare
Star Player
Star Player

Post by CyberHare »

It seems Team Canada is getting serious about the world cup ladies and gents. They've even got an official website in the works. www.bloodbowlcanada.com The biggest news by far is that they may include the one and only Zombie in their lineup.

So how about the rest of you?

Brian St.James

DaImp
Super Star
Super Star

Post by DaImp »

I would love to bring a Team South Africa to the World Cup. Unfortunatley I can't imagine getting more than 4 players (If I am extremely lucky) to part with the amount of money it would cost for us to get to the UK.

For my part the dates of the tournament make no difference, like ianwilliams said for those of us traveling that distance we will most likely include it as part of a longer holiday anyhow.

Plus if I am traveling all that way I want to be part of a team event where there is national pride at stake, rather than an individual tournament. I am thinking more of a football world cup versus the olympics type tournament - the olympics being a bunch of individual competitors running in national colours as opposed to a collective team whose success or downfall is linked.

Another suggestion - depending on the team size agreed apon - would be to form a Southern Hemisphere team of Aussies, Kiwis and Safricans.

Jonathan Merry
Da Leeg Commissioner, Shaka Shield and SA Open Organiser
DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

Tri nations? Maybe, probably best if you join in the discussion on the NAF site (under rest of the world)

Ian 'Double Skulls' Williams
grotuk
Super Star
Super Star

Post by grotuk »

Are you as good as in rugby? If so...the Tri-nations must be banned :p or let the Barbarians play as well :o

Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

How about having it on 4 consecutive mondays?

What ever the arrangements I can attend no matter what, full time gambling allows flexible working hours.

Certainly going to be interesting deciding who plays for their country.

Pipey
Rapdog - formally known as Pippy
Location: King John's Tavern, The Square Mile, West Hartlepool

Post by Pipey »

Yup, it definitely will be interesting! I'd certainly like to play if I can :D

Cyberhare, any early indications on NAF guidelines for the team selection?

UK Team Challenge IX — 24-25 August 2024

Go to: www.bbuktc.com