Maximum no. of players

Got a great idea and/or proposal for BloodBowl?

Moderator: TFF Mods

Shteve0
Legend
Legend

Maximum no. of players

Post by Shteve0 »

Under current rules, there are limits to how many players you can have on a team. For example, dwarves can have two slayers in a squad.

Occasionally, a team produces a top, top player, called a "Star Player". These players are positionals, much like any other. For example, when a dwarf team takes Grim Ironjaw, a star slayer, all three slayers in the squad can play in the first 11.

Why?

Surely it would make more sense that a team can have as many players as they like of the main "positionals", but can only field a restricted number at any given point? For example, one could have three runners in a dark elf squad, but no more than two could ever appear on the pitch at the same time. A Star dark elf runner, then would count as one of the two allowed and the third would need to be benched for that drive/game/whatever.

Obviously special weapons chaps may need to be handled differently.

Thoughts?

Reason: ''
League and tournament hosting, blogging and individual forums - all totally free. For the most immersive tabletop sports community experience around, check out theendzone.co
voyagers_uk
Da Cynic
Location: Nice Red Uniforms and Fanatical devotion to the Pope!

Post by voyagers_uk »

I was rereading the 2'ed rules on benchwarmers last night, this strikes a similar chord

Ikterus wrote: But for the record, play Voyagers_UK if you have the chance. He's cursed! :P
Gaixo
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Gaixo »

That's weird. I was just thinking about the same thing last night.

I don't know, though, it's probably for the best.

Right now I have a very competent dwarf runner/safety, with increased movement, block, tackle and a new skill that I forgot to roll for after the match (I always think it's 61 instead of 51 for the fourth). He also just sustained a -AV. If I was allowed to have a "reserve" runner, it would almost make things too easy for me. The guy with the head wound plays in my difficult matchups, while my newer guy skills up during easier games and hopes for doubles or a stat increase. If none is forthcoming, just sack him and start over.

With the current rules, it's a much more challenging decision whether to sack him and start over or wait and see if he's still useful (maybe the + MA doesn't seem like a big deal, but it's been very important to my team).

Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend
Location: Atlanta, GA., USA: Recruiting the Walking Dead for the Blood Bowl Zombie Nation

Post by Digger Goreman »

Star Players used to count as positionals... afaik... and recall....

They're all best placed in the rubbish bin with dwarves, elves, and khemri....

Another anachronism we're stuck with....

LRB6/Icepelt Edition: Ah!, when Blood Bowl made sense....
"1 in 36, my Nuffled arse!"
SillySod
Eternal Rookie
Eternal Rookie

Post by SillySod »

Digger Goreman wrote:Star Players used to count as positionals... afaik... and recall....

They're all best placed in the rubbish bin with dwarves, elves, and khemri....

Another anachronism we're stuck with....
?

Victim of the Colonel's car boot smash. First person to use Glynn's bath.
Update: the Hartlepool family Glynn now has a virgin bath.

Barney is a clever dog.
voyagers_uk
Da Cynic
Location: Nice Red Uniforms and Fanatical devotion to the Pope!

Post by voyagers_uk »

otherwise translated as "Wibble"

Ikterus wrote: But for the record, play Voyagers_UK if you have the chance. He's cursed! :P
Jural
Legend
Legend

Post by Jural »

This idea is very interesting. If you developed 4 wardancers, 2 offensive, 2 defensive, for example, you could still only field 2 at a time... but would carry enormous TV extra. When your 14 man squad took 3 casualties, you might also be stuck with 9 on the pitch!

The biggest drawback I can see would be these:

1) For Secret Weapon players, it really takes the bite out if you can always field 1.

2) Some players are balanced by their rarity, and an opponent who concentratres on taking one out should be rewarded...

I think in practice, the system would be used on Big Men for some teams, and on the occassional orc or human or dwarf team with money to burn.

I'd love to hear the results if you play some seasons this way. I think it could be fun.

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Didn't all Stars have positions removed?

That said, it's an interesting idea (like Voyagers, I'd had thought about the old 2nd ed Benchwarmers).

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.