KO-rolls during play?

Got a great idea and/or proposal for BloodBowl?

Moderator: TFF Mods

El Hombre
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

KO-rolls during play?

Post by El Hombre »

Some time ago I had this idea, been thinking about it for a while, was wondering what you guys should think of it.

How about making a "KO-recovery-roll" every turn on an unmodified 6 on a D6 instead of only when you set up for a drive on a 4+? (of course, returning players go to the reserves box, not straight onto the field)

I'm no math-scolar, but it seems to me that this equals a 3-turn-drive. It would encourage people to keep playing and scoring, because if they wait too long, you give your enemy more chances to recover players.

Maybe the dice-roll should be tweaked a bit, but it's the mechanism I'd like to postpone here: make KO-recovery-rolls dependant on the duration of the drive (as also in reality, players have more time to recover if they are knocked out in turn 1 and can only come back in, say, turn 7)

Reason: ''
Those who will not follow are doomed to lead.
--*--Founder League of Rodents--*--
--*--Commissioner BBBF Online League--*--
mattgslater
King of Comedy
Location: Far to the west, across the great desert, in the fabled Land of Comedy

Post by mattgslater »

If you're going to do that, I say get rid of the KO and D/I boxes entirely. Leave dead/injured players on the field until the drive ends, and only roll Apothecary after each drive, rather than immediately after the Cas result. KO'ed players are flipped over and turned backwards, stay on the field until the end of the drive, rolling 1d at the start of their turn. On a 4+, the player is only stunned. If a 4+ is not rolled before a score or half, the player must miss the next drive.

What is Nuffle's view? Through a window, two-by-three. He peers through snake eyes.
What is Nuffle's lawn? Inches, squares, and tackle zones: Reddened blades of grass.
What is Nuffle's tree? Risk its trunk, space the branches. Touchdowns are its fruit.
PubBowler
Legend
Legend

Post by PubBowler »

mattgslater wrote:If you're going to do that, I say get rid of the KO and D/I boxes entirely. Leave dead/injured players on the field until the drive ends, and only roll Apothecary after each drive, rather than immediately after the Cas result. KO'ed players are flipped over and turned backwards, stay on the field until the end of the drive, rolling 1d at the start of their turn. On a 4+, the player is only stunned. If a 4+ is not rolled before a score or half, the player must miss the next drive.
Quite a lot of clutter on the pitch.
Especially when you're playing a stunty team.

And where would crowd push CAS or KO go?

Team Scotland Record:
EuroBowl 2009: 3-2-1

Gimmicks>Shennanigans>Everything Else
El Hombre
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by El Hombre »

that's why I opted to let that aspect as it is, with them leaving the pitch when they should. Players that make their 6+ KO-roll go to the reserves box, not back onto the pitch.

Those who will not follow are doomed to lead.
--*--Founder League of Rodents--*--
--*--Commissioner BBBF Online League--*--
mattgslater
King of Comedy
Location: Far to the west, across the great desert, in the fabled Land of Comedy

Post by mattgslater »

But then you have to let them back on the pitch. Unless you specify a square from which the player must return (say, center of their end zone), it could yield a lot of trouble.

What is Nuffle's view? Through a window, two-by-three. He peers through snake eyes.
What is Nuffle's lawn? Inches, squares, and tackle zones: Reddened blades of grass.
What is Nuffle's tree? Risk its trunk, space the branches. Touchdowns are its fruit.
plasmoid
Legend
Legend

Post by plasmoid »

Why mattg?
In any team with more than 11 players, some players stay in the dug-out until the next drive.
Why would recovered KOs get to enter the pitch in mid-play.

I for one can see an advantage to el Hombres house rule (not that I'll be switching to it).
Cheers
Martin

mattgslater
King of Comedy

Post by mattgslater »

Ah. I misunderstood the original post. Just reread. Never mind.

mubo
Star Player
Star Player

Post by mubo »

Good idea,

Makes sense game-wise.

Only problem will be remembering to roll a D6 each player, each turn.
Sometimes you may be rolling for 4 players. Might become a bit of a pain.

Alternative may be player is knocked out for D6 turns? Thick skull means you are KOed for D6-2 turns. This would require some notekeeping so might not work brilliantly.

tenwit
Star Player
Star Player

Re: KO-rolls during play?

Post by tenwit »

El Hombre wrote:I'm no math-scolar, but it seems to me that this equals a 3-turn-drive.
Just FYI: after 3 turns, you'd have a 42% chance of getting a player back on the pitch. After 4 turns, you'd have a 52% chance. After you factor in the extra effects of fouling, that'd probably drop to about a 99% chance of D&I.