Send Off equivalent to Injury roll

Got a great idea and/or proposal for BloodBowl?

Moderator: TFF Mods

Joemanji
Power Gamer

Send Off equivalent to Injury roll

Post by Joemanji »

I think there was something like this in 2nd ed, and it seems like an elegant mechanism to me. You could introduce the notion of the "sin bin". How about when a player is sent off for fouling, instead of missing the rest of the game you roll for him on the Injury table? 2-7 Reserves, 8-9 KO'd, 10+ same as a normal sending off. The player would not actually be injured, this represents the time that elapses before the referee decides (or is bribed) to let the player back on the pitch. BB is a game where mayhem is encouraged after all, and the cabalvision executives always want popular players back on the pitch.

I think this adds a much more tactical flavour to fouling, which at the moment seems like a very poor risk/reward ratio. A sending off will always take a player off the pitch, but it won't remove him from the entire game necessarily, which always feel pretty harsh.

You could also extend this to Secret Weapons with the relevant price changes. Maybe say that they are sent off before the next drive, so they always miss at least one drive?

Possible problems might be that a player with Dirty Player would be took good. A possible solution might be to say that using DP adds +1 to your Injury roll if sent off.

Reason: ''
*This post may have been made without the use of a hat.
Rab
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Rab »

I don't normally go for 'additions' to the rules (so many seem to unbalance the game), but I like this one in principle. It seems fluffy in a good way :D

You could also have Sneaky Git be a -1 to the sending off roll instead of its usual effect...

[url=http://schwingaward.org/]SChWiNG[/url] Treasurer
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Nice idea - why didn't you think of it before the rules review? :wink:

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Rab
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Rab »

:D :D :roll:

[url=http://schwingaward.org/]SChWiNG[/url] Treasurer
Leipziger
Legend
Legend

Post by Leipziger »

Good call, Joe :)

Twitter:@wormito
Waterbowl fb group https://www.facebook.com/groups/WaterbowlMcr/

Stunty Slam 14 - 10/09/22
Waterbowl Weekend 2023, Feb 18/19, NWGC

Team England Committee Member
voyagers_uk
Da Cynic
Location: Nice Red Uniforms and Fanatical devotion to the Pope!

Post by voyagers_uk »

maybe Martin could add this flavour into the field position play testing.

Ikterus wrote: But for the record, play Voyagers_UK if you have the chance. He's cursed! :P
SillySod
Eternal Rookie
Eternal Rookie

Post by SillySod »

If you implement this then have the ref actually injure the players. Give them the option of going quietly (being sent off) or having the ref have to punch them in the face to get them off the pitch :)

Victim of the Colonel's car boot smash. First person to use Glynn's bath.
Update: the Hartlepool family Glynn now has a virgin bath.

Barney is a clever dog.
DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

I'd be very wary of that, unless you combined it with weakening the effectiveness of fouls. Basically you are making 50%+ of foulers come back into the game

Ian 'Double Skulls' Williams
MadLordAnarchy
Legend
Legend

Post by MadLordAnarchy »

SillySod wrote:If you implement this then have the ref actually injure the players. Give them the option of going quietly (being sent off) or having the ref have to punch them in the face to get them off the pitch :)
Refs with personality are the way forward.

[size=75][b][url=http://bbowl.pendragonknights.co.uk]AD Blood Bowl[/url]
[url=http://adcorppublishing.co.uk]Publisher[/url]
[/b][/size]
sumbloke
Experienced
Experienced

Post by sumbloke »

ianwilliams wrote:I'd be very wary of that, unless you combined it with weakening the effectiveness of fouls. Basically you are making 50%+ of foulers come back into the game
I agree. I think this would work better as a single die roll with 4+ being off for the rest of the match and 3- being "KO'd" (rolling to get back into the game after each drive), with abilities adjusting these rolls.

Run away! It's an... um... run away!
-Nomad sentry
Glowworm

Post by Glowworm »

Refs with personality are the way forward.

...Like the ones in the "Compendium" (Pg 21). I think they where originally published in Citadel journal (No12) for those not old enough to remember!

I definately like the Fouling idea, makes my endless double 1/2/3 on the armour roll more palatable!!

MadLordAnarchy
Legend
Legend

Post by MadLordAnarchy »

I'm surprisingly with doubleskulls against the majority here - the problem with fouling is always that it is a risk of getting a player you don't care about that much sent off set against the reward of damaging the opposition's star player. I'm much more used to resisting calls for suspensions for players who get sent off than getting them back onto the field earlier.
glowworm wrote:Refs with personality are the way forward.

...Like the ones in the "Compendium" (Pg 21). I think they where originally published in Citadel journal (No12) for those not old enough to remember!
That's what I used as the basis for refs in my league. I do actually have refs now who retaliate physically against foulers.

[size=75][b][url=http://bbowl.pendragonknights.co.uk]AD Blood Bowl[/url]
[url=http://adcorppublishing.co.uk]Publisher[/url]
[/b][/size]
SillySod
Eternal Rookie
Eternal Rookie

Post by SillySod »

Well, this isnt the way forawrd for LRB fouling.... but then the current fouling system really dosent have a great risk/reward unless you can afford to focus on it as a strategy (undead/necro/khemri

Victim of the Colonel's car boot smash. First person to use Glynn's bath.
Update: the Hartlepool family Glynn now has a virgin bath.

Barney is a clever dog.
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

ianwilliams wrote:I'd be very wary of that, unless you combined it with weakening the effectiveness of fouls. Basically you are making 50%+ of foulers come back into the game
Why weaken it anymore? If we were talking about LRB4 fouling with the old DP, then I'd agree, but with the current weak version...

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Der_Doodle
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Der_Doodle »

Well the basic idea is nice. but it would just lead to a simple 1 Foul each turn philosophy cause the risk of getting sent of for more then a drive is minimal.

The only way I could see this work would be if instead of a sent of at a double at each foul you have to roll an injury roll for the fouler.
On a stunned result the foul didnt got spotted.
On a KO the ref thinks he might have seen something and banns the player for this drive (moved to reserve)
On a Cas result the player gets ejected. Make an Casulty roll.
11-38 BH = Miss this Game
41-58 SI = Miss next game
61-68 RIP = Permanent Record, Miss next game and a note on the refs list.
This works like a Niggling Injury for the send off roll adding +1 on the roll.

And ofcourse Sneaky Git would reduce the initial Injury Roll to see if you get spotted by -1

So all in all Chances to get sent of for a game or more is 1/6 with an extra Chance to get removed for a drive.