Big Guys that are BIG!!

Got a great idea and/or proposal for BloodBowl?

Moderator: TFF Mods

Joemanji
Power Gamer

Big Guys that are BIG!!

Post by Joemanji »

I think it would be potentially cool to have Big Guys that actually behaved like the hulking great monstrosities they are in the fluff and were in 2nd ed.

So, maybe replace negatraits (and maybe Loner) with this:

Big Guy (Extraordinary)
This hulking behemoth of a player is so massive that he counts as 2 players occupying one square, except that they may only take one action per turn as normal. For example, he counts as 2 players when setting up for kickoff, including on the LoS or in a widezone, and he excerts 2 TZs on each adjacent square.

(rough wording)

Reason: ''
*This post may have been made without the use of a hat.
frogbear
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by frogbear »

How do you account for Ogre teams that want 6 ogres?

Maybe snotlings count as 'zero' players for purposes of setting up?

How about Gobbos and 2 trolls? A little harsh...

I like the idea in theory but it needs allot more thought on how it hampers the already non-competative teams.

*Beside Myself with Grief*
Daefaroth
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Daefaroth »

I vaguely recall form a long time ago that snotlings (perhaps other stunties?) only count as 1/2 a player. Probably a 2nd ed rule

-Daefaroth

This signature says something else when you are not looking at it.
Rab
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Rab »

Some of the guys in my group who have been playing forever occasionally mention that Big Guys took up four squares and counted as two on the roster (iirc) in, I think, 2nd Ed.

[url=http://schwingaward.org/]SChWiNG[/url] Treasurer
Der_Doodle
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Der_Doodle »

Yep thats 2nd Edition and it took you 1 movement point to turn your Big guy by 90° (and ofcourse you could only bash something in your front arc...)

And I will never forget the good old Snot teams with d6 extra snots on the pitch (12-17 players in a go) i mean they are small they are all green the Ref couldnt count them anyway when they run around on the pitch :)

fire olli
Super Star
Super Star

Post by fire olli »

Not sure i would like to go back to big guys counting as 2 on the team it mess up a whole lot of teams in the current rules which i think work well.

I do however like the old snotling rule and i think there should be some sort of inducement that could help the snotling with this.
Bribe the ref 100,000gc and you get an extra d6 snots on the pitch for that drive or something along those lines.

frogbear
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by frogbear »

fire olli wrote:I do however like the old snotling rule and i think there should be some sort of inducement that could help the snotling with this.
Bribe the ref 100,000gc and you get an extra d6 snots on the pitch for that drive or something along those lines.
I like this idea! It would bring a little more mayhem to an ogre team...

*Beside Myself with Grief*
Kyrel
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Kyrel »

Personally I liked the old 2nd ed. Big guy rules. The guys I play with and I have converted the 2nd rules into our ruleset, and it is a significant change to the present Big Buy rules. One IMO positive thing though, is that only very few teams actualy use Big Guys, rather than virtually everyone.

Enjoy your life. It might be your last...
Der_Doodle
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Der_Doodle »

And with that you successfully move all Stunty Teams from Tier 3 to Tier 4 i think if they can only field 2 Big Guys and 7 Stunties for a total of 9 players.

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

Der_Doodle wrote:And with that you successfully move all Stunty Teams from Tier 3 to Tier 4 i think if they can only field 2 Big Guys and 7 Stunties for a total of 9 players.
Not if you do it correctly.

During the Vault, this concept was considered before we swtiched to creating the Loner negatrait.

Here's the right way to make it work.

You have 11 allowances to field players on your team (however you are still limited to fielding no more than 11 players on the pitch as well). You have a skill now called Big Guy that you give to the players currently that have Loner and the Ogres on the Ogre team (and they lose the Loner skill).

Players with the Big Guy skill count as 2 allowances.
Players with the Stunty skill count as 1/2 allowances.
Players with the Titchy skill count as 1/4 allowances.

Now the only team to suffer from this chance at all was the Ogre team as they could at most field 5 Ogres and 4 Snotlings if they wanted to max out the Ogres and this was one of the main reasons it was ditched (that and it was considered complicated for new players to understand).

That said I think if you wanted to take Loner off the Big Guys and add in this rule to your league that it would work just fine.

Like I said ... we actually spent some time seriously thinking about making the above part of LRB 5.0 but it didn't make the final cut.

====

Now if you make this change ... I think you should also change Bribe to ALSO allow (in addition to what it does now) that you could use one Bribe to set up an additional 1 allowance for a drive (and ignore the 11 player limit). This would allow normal teams to field one more player, Stunties to field 2 more for a drive, and Ogre teams to field 4 extra Snotlings. That would be fun and I believe balanced for 100k (and 50k for Goblins).

Galak

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
fire olli
Super Star
Super Star

Post by fire olli »

why goblins at 50,000gc ?

PubBowler
Legend
Legend

Post by PubBowler »

fire olli wrote:why goblins at 50,000gc ?
A small boost for LRB6 to fit in with the fluff that goblins are dirty cheaters.

Paired with the chef to 50k for Halfings.

Team Scotland Record:
EuroBowl 2009: 3-2-1

Gimmicks>Shennanigans>Everything Else
Der_Doodle
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Der_Doodle »

fire olli wrote:why goblins at 50,000gc ?
Professional cheating means you have more connections to cheat and therefor lower costs in your cheatings :)

Jural
Legend
Legend

Post by Jural »

If Big Guys count as 2 players, they need to have Loner dropped, and probably drop the negatraits as well. Adding Multiple Block would be a nice touch as well, but I'm not sure it's needed.

In "The Vault" I played maybe 4 games this way, and we enjoyed it a lot. I was disappointed that this idea was cut so early, it had potential. I can't remember if we had multiple block standard on the Big Guys or not, however.

stashman
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by stashman »

I rather see Big Guys more expensive if they lost the Loner skill, than to take up 2 slots.

Goblin Troll [100K]
Other Troll [130K]

Halfling Treeman [110K]
Wood Elf Treeman [140K]

Kroxigor [170K]

Nurgle Beast [180K]

Snotling Ogre [120K]
Other Ogre [160K]

Snow Troll [160K]

Minotaur [160K]

Rat Ogre [160K]

Deathroller 4 7 1 10 [140K]