Skill Idea Archive: General

Got a great idea and/or proposal for BloodBowl?

Moderator: TFF Mods

Angstgegner
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Angstgegner »

I like the idea of the Low Blow skill very much! :o

Reason: ''
Four minutes can be a hell of a time...
Yavatol
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Yavatol »

New General Skill Idea:

Pass interferance
A player with this skill can use it when instead trying to intercept a ball. To use the skill the player tests against Agility with a +1 modifier, but also with a -1 modifier for every enemy tackle zone he is in. When successful he manages to hit the ball and knock it out of its normal course. The passing player can no longer throw an acturate pass. Treat an accurate pass as an inaccurate one. Pass block and Safe Throw work as normal. A coach cannot try to interfere and intercept the same pass.

Vero
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Vero »

Under category, nice to have but won't take till 5th+ skill:

Adrenalist
An adrenalist is at his best under pressure and manages to jump into cage or throw that extra inch more often than his comates. Any target 6+ roll succeeds on 5+ (and any target 5+ roll succeeds on 4+).

Not playtested. The part in brackets might be too strong.

[size=67]Signatuuri.[/size]
da_crusher
Rookie
Rookie

Post by da_crusher »

New General (Passing?) Skill:

Slip Ball: The player is able to give the ball a small toss into a desired direction, when fumbling the ball due to either a block or a fumbled pass. If this player loses the ball for any reason (Fumble, Knocked down, Pushed Back by Strip Ball Player) he may choose a side which he wants the ball to land in and the Throw-In template is used instead of the Scatter-template.

Rituro
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Rituro »

Here's an idea for a General skill to be used in leagues:

Rivalry: A player on your team has developed a deep hatred for another player on an opposing team. Choose a player on an enemy team who has caused at least one casualty to your player -- this is now your player's "rival". Whenever the rival is on the pitch, your player must make every effort to either throw a block at or foul him. Because of the intense rivalry, all blocks made by this player against his or her rival count as having Frenzy and Mighty Blow and all fouls count as having Dirty Player and Mighty Blow. A player may only have one rival at any given time. Should the rival be fired or killed, the Rivalry skill ceases to have any affect. Acquiring the Rivalry skill does not automatically bestow it on your chosen rival.

The Nuln Bombers -- making amazing counter-attacks since 2507
~
Da Dead'Ard Sunz -- making orange cool again since 2510
Meradanis
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Meradanis »

Rituro wrote:Whenever the rival is on the pitch, your player must make every effort to either throw a block at or foul him.
Even dodging through 5 Tackle Zones and making 2 GFI's to reach the rival ? Well, I would put such an rivaled player into a solid cage and laugh at my opponent getting turn over after turn over.

I have some more problems with the skill: It totally sucks ! It can be uses only every X games, it has a very special prequesite, and it ceases to work after the Rival is gone. I would rather take Leap for my Beast of Nurgle than this skill. You could solve these problems by making this a free skill, but only 1 or your players of every team may take it (after receiving a CAS). It could also work bidirectional, meaning the Rival gains the Rivalry skill, too.

Rituro
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Rituro »

Meradanis wrote:I have some more problems with the skill: It totally sucks!
Back to the drawing board, then... :cry:

~
Amadan
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Amadan »

Meradanis wrote:Even dodging through 5 Tackle Zones and making 2 GFI's to reach the rival ? Well, I would put such an rivaled player into a solid cage and laugh at my opponent getting turn over after turn over.
well, "must" go for it, is a little excessive in some cases, it's a common sense kind of thing "if the player can reach his rival, then he Must throw the block or blitz" kind of thing. or even give him a skill like pro, but only when blocking / blitzing his rival. it would need to be a fluff upgrade, outside of normal skills, cause it just isn't entirely worth it to give it to a player, again because it has alot of prerequesits.
I have some more problems with the skill: It totally sucks !
and there's no need to be rude. it's an idea for a skill, i know this is the internet and we can all type what we want, with no real checks or balances. but come on man... both rituro and I have thought about this skill a little bit, and posting it on here, is asking for those people who have played this game alot more than us, to put their feedback, and their experience into it, to try and make it a viable skill.

the only reason it even came about, was because i suggested a skill for one of my chaos warriors, and one of his blitzers. who always seem to end up throwing blocks at eachother. so i thought it would be a neat idea to have a skill to emphasize a "spike magazine bad blood fight of the night" kind of thing. because those two players are on the field, maybe something like star player should come into it. i don't know, but that's why we placed this skill up here.

constructive critisism is definitly appreciated, but please keep it constructive :)[/i]

Meradanis
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Meradanis »

I'm very sorry if I appeared to be rude, I honestly didn't mean to be. After rereading "to suck" in my dictonary, I think I will take greater care of it's usage in the future (english is not my native tongue). I'm the least person that would missuse the Internet by offending other people.

But you should have quoted the whole paragraph of my answer, I think I explained why I think that skill isn't worth taking compared to those normal BB skills. I didn't mean to say that your ideas su... is bad, I just wanted to make clear that the skill is too weak compared to other general skills. Rituro did post it as a normal general skill, so I rated it with this standard in my mind.

Constructive critisism mode on: As I said, make it a free skill and bi-directional. Both coaches should have to agree with this kind of link formed between their players after a casuality happened. I wouldn't allow more than one link per team paring, meaning that you could get this skill multiple times against different teams, but only 1 against every single team. Why should both coaches have to agree ? Easy, just think about an Orc Blitzer and a Halfling. The Blitzer would gain much more from this Rivalry than the Halfling, that's why is should be skill based on mutual consent.
[...]and all fouls count as having Dirty Player and Mighty Blow
Mighty Blow doesn't give you any bonus while fouling. Either stay with Dirty Player only, or make it Dirty Player and Sneaky Git.
Whenever the rival is on the pitch, your player must make every effort to either throw a block at or foul him.
I still think it is absolutely necessary to make this part clear as crystal, the history of Blood Bowl has shown that skill descriptions shouldn't have the slightest room for interpretation, and yours is as big as the north pole. ;)
My solution: Skip this part entirely. I mean, those bonuses gained by Rivalry should encourage such an behaviour without any need to write it into the skill description. Especially if you make it bi-directional, because if player A doesn't follow his Rivalry, he would have to fear the opposing player B doing it the next turn.

Rituro
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Rituro »

Great suggestions, Meradanis! (...and thanks for the back-up, Amadan. :wink:)

Since the skill does have the danger of becoming useless should the rival vanish, making it bi-directional does make some sense.

Good catch on the Mighty Blow vs. Foul -- completely forgot that part. Definitely Sneaky Git instead.

And yes, since trying to encourage a rivalry via specific rules wording would lead to a whole host of loopholes and enforcement trouble, I should probably drop that from the description.

Since this skill depends on casualties, should it be Strength instead of General? How's this as a second draft:

Rivalry (Strength): A player on your team has developed a deep hatred for another player on an opposing team. Choose a player on an enemy team who has caused at least one casualty to your player -- this is now your player's "rival". Because of the bad blood between them, all blocks made by your player against his or her rival count as having Frenzy and Mighty Blow and all fouls count as having Dirty Player and Sneaky Git. A player may only have one rival at any given time. Should the rival be fired or killed, the Rivalry skill ceases to have any affect. Acquiring the Rivalry skill automatically bestows it on your chosen rival.

~
Amadan
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Amadan »

Meradanis wrote:
Whenever the rival is on the pitch, your player must make every effort to either throw a block at or foul him.
I still think it is absolutely necessary to make this part clear as crystal, the history of Blood Bowl has shown that skill descriptions shouldn't have the slightest room for interpretation, and yours is as big as the north pole. ;) My solution: Skip this part entirely. I mean, those bonuses gained by Rivalry should encourage such an behaviour without any need to write it into the skill description. Especially if you make it bi-directional, because if player A doesn't follow his Rivalry, he would have to fear the opposing player B doing it the next turn.
that's a good point... i never really thought about that... i go out of my way to throw a block at his blitzer with that one chaos warrior, so i suppose you are right... i like the idea of it being an agreed on upgrade, simply because on it's own, if taken as a skill, and the rival dies, or is fired, which i can see happening to his blitzer, thank you niggling injury ;)

also a point for it being a free stat, is that, say my guy has 29 star player points, and then develops a rivalry by causing a casulty on a guy with 34 points.

both players could get the rivalry skill, and it would eat up the skill for player A who just got to 31, but player B with 34 got the skill free, and is no where near his next skill up. assuming that's where the rivalry came in.

i do like the idea of a rivalry, it just seems to pop up in our league quite often, it's just a matter of how you could work it into the game.

maybe we could work an addition to winnings in somehow? in Canada at least, extra fights in the NHL always brings in extra people... that's why some people i know watch it... thus would bring in extra fans? but it would be the same for both players... maybe some food for thought?

Jural
Legend
Legend

Post by Jural »

Rivalry sounds less like a skill and more like a fun house rule. Just allow any player who has suffered a stat decrease or Niggling Injury (which was not apoth'd) gain this skill for free, with the person who injured him being the rival.

This idea is not my original idea, I believe it was in a dwarf ony league rule set and it was called a "grudge". But I don't remember where I read that now!

stormmaster1
Star Player
Star Player

Post by stormmaster1 »

Like the idea of a grudge/rivalry. i'd have it as: only if both coaches agree. (most important). I wouldn't limit it to cas-causing. Any event that the coaches agree on would do: e.g. sacking the star wardancer inches from the line. Twice with the same player. Easy to start a rivalry from that. Both players must have 16 spps or more (consider 31+), lets face it Griff Oberwald isn't going to start a rivalry with some rookie halfling.

Benifits would be: mighty blow, piling on OR dirty player, only used versus the opposite player. Alternatively they could simply play better and score more to show the other player up, e.g +1 to dodge when carrying the ball and +1 to catch.

Overall it's more of a roleplay-type house rule than a skill.

Rituro
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Rituro »

Jural wrote:Rivalry sounds less like a skill and more like a fun house rule.
stormmaster1 wrote:Overall it's more of a roleplay-type house rule than a skill.
Yeah, I'm beginning to think it deserves House Rule status more than a General skill. I'll talk it over with the league the next time we're all playing and see what we can agree to. Thanks for the ideas, everyone! :)

~
Joemanji
Power Gamer

Post by Joemanji »

Shoulder Charge (General Skill)
A player may use this technique to muscle a player out of the way on the move. The player may use this skill to throw a block during a Move action. The blocking player suffers a -1 ST penalty for the purposes of this block, and may not use any skills to effect the result (including compulsory ones such as Frenzy). A player's action ends immediately after making the shoulder charge.

Does this need any extra penalties? For example not allowing assists? Or is it too weak to be of any use?

*This post may have been made without the use of a hat.