Should Brettonians be in Bloodbowl?

Got a great idea and/or proposal for BloodBowl?

Moderator: TFF Mods

Should there be a seperate Brettonian team in BB?

Yes, the team listed
25%
Yes, but this team sucks, use...
15%
No, just use the human roster (without the Ogre for fluff)
35%
No, no, NO! And NO!!!!!!!
24%

Total votes: 274

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

*Sigh* This place gets more and more like Wikipedia every day.
Where's everyone's sense of humour gone?

Reason: ''
Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Jural
Legend
Legend

Post by Jural »

I think coming up with rules for a team which will never be used, which has no interest in it from even within a limited base of hobbyists, for a game which is not supported, impossible to find, and ignored by it's own developers, all the while being unable to find a consensus on whether MA 6 AV 6 or MA 5 AV 7 requires a pretty insane sense of humor. Meh, or a humerous sense of insanity, whatever ya got.

Actually, I don't know anything about Wikipedia... Maybe I should look up Blood Bowl there and begin to post about the Blood Bowl Bretonnians there? naah, I bet Martin has beat me to the punch...

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

By why try to develop it on a thread where (approx) 2/3rd of respondents have said they don't want one.
It's not like martin hasn't got one or two other threads he could be directing this one.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Marlow
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Marlow »

Darkson wrote:By why try to develop it on a thread where (approx) 2/3rd of respondents have said they don't want one.
Because someone (like Galek) might read it one day and say "I really like that" and put it to JJ who could say the same thing.

It might take another six years, but if you do not try then there is no chance.

Ne cede melia, Marlow.
Trophies: MBBL Dungeon Bowl Season Nine; Boudica Bowl IV Stunty Cup
Leicester Blood Bowl League - http://www.leicesterbbleague.com/
Jural
Legend
Legend

Post by Jural »

Darkson wrote:By why try to develop it on a thread where (approx) 2/3rd of respondents have said they don't want one.
It's not like martin hasn't got one or two other threads he could be directing this one.
Fair enough, there may be a better thread somewhere.

Or maybe someone will start a new one in the Playtest Vault, JJ will see it and fall in love, design 4th Edition Platinum around it, and we'll all be sorry we had any part in it :( Hmm, should be more careful here...

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Marlow wrote:Because someone (like Galek) might read it one day and say "I really like that" and put it to JJ who could say the same thing.
And Galak won't see one of the 6 threads Martin has?
If Galak takes anything from this thread, it's that 2/3 of BB coaches don't want ANY Brett roster.

Blammaham
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Blammaham »

Darkson wrote:
Marlow wrote:Because someone (like Galek) might read it one day and say "I really like that" and put it to JJ who could say the same thing.
And Galak won't see one of the 6 threads Martin has?
If Galak takes anything from this thread, it's that 2/3 of BB coaches don't want ANY Brett roster.
And that is why this is the funniest thead ever!S.

Outstanding painting. Spike 2009!
PubBowler
Legend
Legend

Post by PubBowler »

I actually find Wikipedia kinda amusing (and it's gormless younger brother Conservapedia) but I don't have a problem with Brets being discussed.

At least this discussion is a good example of the debate & concern for balance etc which should come before large changes in a largely fixed ruleset.

Team Scotland Record:
EuroBowl 2009: 3-2-1

Gimmicks>Shennanigans>Everything Else
plasmoid
Legend
Legend

Post by plasmoid »

Hi all - especially Darkson,

>Where's everyone's sense of humour gone?
[snip]
>By why try to develop it on a thread where (approx) 2/3rd of respondents have said they don't want one.

Well, if it's any consolation, I thought it was hilarious.

But seriously. I don't think JJ or Galak are gonna swing by and fall in love. This is just some people bouncing around ideas. I don't see how that's hurting anyone - nor do I see a thread title like "thread for complaining about Bretonnians".

Cheers
Martin

plasmoid
Legend
Legend

Post by plasmoid »

Hi Jural and all,

Jural - thanks for your comments about the rosters.
Like you, I prefer option 2 and 3 over option 1.
I like sticking to the 3 positions, and I think they both have a pretty clear and different playing style.

Team 2 is about board control. Team 3 is the bashy team that can't really 2-1 cagegrind.

On team 2 I can see your point that GAS is too much. If the knights all become blodge guard stand firm, then they'll be truly terrible. As for their out of the box power, I think they're quite beatable. But it would be interesting to playtest.

On team 3 - you're probably right that 8338 is dead in the water. I just think that's so conservative though :-?. It may be canned for looking broken, but I don't think that it is.... As for the 4 block, 4 wrestle - I see the risk mitigation there. But the risk comes with the lowish AV and lowish ST. There will be risk íf they start a blockwar. And if they start anything else, lack of ballhandling skills will bring risk too.

Now - anyone else still reading and thinking:
I love the fend idea that has come from this thread.
AV6 may be a bit non-human though.
Perhaps AV7 and a niggling injury would be an equally vulnerable solution. :D
I also still like AG2 peasants. I think it is cool when playing against Bretonnians that you don't have to worry about the peasants coming up with sneaky plays.

And I do see the allure of a 6339 knight. AV9 is just a bit too orcish for my liking.
But I may be alone on that.

Either way.
This was inspiring :)

plasmoid
Legend
Legend

Post by plasmoid »

Hi all,
inspired by this discussion, I decided to change my home leagues Bretonnian team immidiately before the start of our round 2 (each round consists of 5 games).

I changed it to:
0-16 40K linemen 6327 fend G
0-4 70K Yeomen 6338 wrestle GS
0-4 120K Blitzers 8338 block, juggernaut, pro
60K rerolls. No big guy.

The team has now played 2 games in our round 2.

First one against another homemade team (we have 3 homemades in our 27 teams): A Tilea mixed race team, including the star of the league - an elf catcher with AG+ and blodge.
Tilea (TV144) vs Bretonnians (TV130).
The game ended with a 3-0 win for the Tileans. But it was much closer than it looked. By the end of first half, the Bretonnians failed a GFI, that would have allowed them to sack the superelf, and equalized instead of going down 0-2. Second half was hard fought, but in the end, superelf slipped through for a third score.

Chaos (134) vs Bretonnians (127)
Harsh first half for the Bretonnians, when the chaos team managed to quickly kill 2 linemen, and proceed to grind all 8 turns off the clock. But the Bretonnians took heart in the fact that it is a game of 2 halves. 2nd half started with a kick-off that landed on the LOS, in the TZ of 2 unmarked chaos players..... and then rolled over the line for a touchback! The Bretonnians capitalized in 2 turns - and it looked a lot like a classic 2-1 grind from chaos. But it was not to be. The kick was deep, and the last chaos warrior on the first turn rolled a double skull. The coach declined to use one of his sparse rerolls, and got an AG- for his troubles! On his 2nd turn, the chaos coach failed a dodge, resulting in a KO. Suddenly, chaos was outnumbered 9-10. The Bretonnians used their great speed to surge forward trying to crush the chaos ball carrier through sheer weight of numbers. He tried to dodge free, but rolled a 1-1, and dropped the ball very close to his own EZ - so close that the Bretonnians could score to 2-1. Big surprise.
Chaos had just 3 turns to equalize, the pushed forward real hard, but the ball carrier was knocked down on a 2-dice against blitz. That left just 1 beastman in scoring range, and he used the last team reroll to catch the ball, run it over the line, and end the game in a 2-2 tie.

Cheers
Martin

plasmoid
Legend
Legend

Post by plasmoid »

The test team played a third game - against chaos dwarfs.
The Bretonnians managed a draw.
Afterwards I talked to the coach, and he likes playing the team - and the fast pro blitzers end up trying a lot of heroics. As it should be.

We did talk about ditching juggernaut tho' - like Jural said.
I thought it would be Blitzy and knightly, but in reality it doesn't do much.
So 8338 block, pro is the way I'm leaning, and 2 skills rather than 3 might be more paletable anyway :D

Cheers
Martin

BloodBowlGuy
Experienced
Experienced

Post by BloodBowlGuy »

0-16 40K linemen 6327 fend G
0-4 70K Yeomen 6338 wrestle GS
0-4 120K Blitzers 8338 block, juggernaut, pro
60K rerolls. No big guy.
(minus juggernaut on the blitzers? do they cost 10k less now)

so this is your new roster?

I might have to try it out for fun.

There is no "I" in "TEAM", but there is an "M" and an "E", and that spells "ME"
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

plasmoid wrote:But seriously. I don't think JJ or Galak are gonna swing by and fall in love.
There is about the snowball in hell chance of JJ swinging by to read TBB.

Now me .. who says I don't swing by? I swing by a LOT of things that I just don't comment on.

Martin and I have long talked about this ... I allow the team in the MBBL as a thank you to Martin and a few guys on MBBL who really want to play it. But there is no chance I'll present a Bret team to the BBRC for a vote.

The final 3 teams I think deserve to be in BB have already been unaniomosly voted on and approved by the BBRC ... 24 is plenty to me.

Galak

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
Jural
Legend
Legend

Post by Jural »

GalakStarscraper wrote: The final 3 teams I think deserve to be in BB have already been unaniomosly voted on and approved by the BBRC ... 24 is plenty to me.
That's a major blow to the guys who want the Slaanesh, Khorne, and Tzeentch teams in Blood Bowl :) And the guys who wants space marines... Or the players who want the "good" Pact teams...

Hmm, I guess it's for the best after all :wink: