Skill Idea Archive: General

Got a great idea and/or proposal for BloodBowl?

Moderator: TFF Mods

Chris
Legend
Legend

Post by Chris »

DoomDiver

Agility.
If the player already has 'the right stuff' it may now be thrown to either an occupied or unoccupied square following all the rules listed in the thrown team mate section of the rulebook.

Reason: ''
juck101
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by juck101 »

odd skill but 'Last Chance' could be a general skill, enables a player to pick a square for the ball to scatter into if they have posession of the ball and lose it. works on a roll of 4+.

...the pope said to his aid...
Joemanji
Power Gamer

New skillo...

Post by Joemanji »

How about:

"Dive" (AG)

A prone player may, instead of standing up, writhe theatrically on the ground in an attempt to get one adjacent player sent off. This counts as his entire action. Roll to see if the opposing player is sent off, just as if he had commited a foul action; though no armour roll is made.

"Hand-Off" (PA)

This allows a player to collect a hand-off during his own action, rather than at the end of the handing-off player's action. The ball-carrier must still declare a "hand-off" action. A player using this skill must still attempt to catch the ball, and must still be in an adjacent square to the ball-carrier when he does so. He does not, however, have to be in a square adjacent to the ball carrier at the start or end of his own action.

Shadow Monkey
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Shadow Monkey »

Daring Duo (General Trait)
When a player is elgible to recieve a trait (rolls doubles on a Star Player Roll), he may take this trait, but he must also choose a team mate for the trait to corrospond with. The corrosponding team mate doesn't need to have the trait yet, but should take the trait as soon as possible to take full advantage of the trait. Write down which team mate the trait corrospnds with on the player's skills & traits (i.e. Daring Duo (Bob)).

Whenever these players are taking an action together (passing/catching, assisting, Throw Team Mate/Landing, ect.) the player with the trait (or both players if they both have the trait) can take either a re-roll OR add a +1 bonus to the action.

Eaxample 1: Jim (thrower) has the daring Duo trait corrosponding with Bob (catcher), but Bob does not have the trait yet. Jim is attempting to throw the ball to Bob. Since Jim has the pass skill already, he doesn't need to use the trait for a re-roll when passing the ball, so he uses the trait to gain a +1 bonus to the roll. Jim rolls a 3, but since he added the +1 from the Daring Duo trait, his roll becomes a 4. A successful pass. Now Bob has to catch the ball. Bob rolls a 2. Bob fails the roll, but he has the catch skill, so he may re-roll to catch the ball.

Example 2: Jim (thrower) has the daring Duo trait corrosponding with Bob (catcher), but Bob also has the trait yet. Jim is attempting to throw the ball to Bob. Since Jim has the pass skill already, he doesn't need to use the trait for a re-roll when passing the ball, so he uses the trait to gain a +1 bonus to the roll. Jim rolls a 3, but since he added the +1 from the Daring Duo trait, his roll becomes a 4. A successful pass. Now Bob has to catch the ball. Since Bob also has the Daring Duo trait, and the catch skill, Bob goes for the +1 bonus as well. Bob rolls a 2, but because of the Daring Duo trait, the roll becomes a 3. Also, because the throw was accurate, Bob gets another +1 to his roll making his total roll a 4. A successful catch.

There is a down side to this trait. These two players have worked together so well that they won't enter the field without their buddy. Even if one of the players doesn't have the trait, they must both be set up on the field or neither can be set up on the field. Also, if one of them is taken out of the game (injured or caught fouling by the ref, etc.) the corrosponding player will also leave the field immediately. If one of them is killed, the corrosponding player will leave the team in grief.

No more than one daring duo can be on a team.

Two wrongs don't make a right. So why stop at just two?
Munkey

Re: New skillo...

Post by Munkey »

Nazgit wrote:How about:

"Dive" (AG)

A prone player may, instead of standing up, writhe theatrically on the ground in an attempt to get one adjacent player sent off. This counts as his entire action. Roll to see if the opposing player is sent off, just as if he had commited a foul action; though no armour roll is made.
I would add, on a roll of 1, the ref sees through the ruse and sends of the 'Diving' player instead.

I like this skill but i'm not keen on actions in Bloodbowl not offering an element of risk.

As a side point, could be useful at keeping the opponents Dirty Players at bay - he may not want to risk the extra chance of a sending off while the refs lokking at him.

[size=75]The short answer is "no", but it is a qualified "no" because there are odd ways of interpreting the question which could justify the answer "yes".[/size]
Joemanji
Power Gamer

Post by Joemanji »

Munkey wrote:I like this skill but i'm not keen on actions in Bloodbowl not offering an element of risk.
I agree with this in principle. But you have to look at the benefits v. risks. The Diver has a 6+ or 4+ (depending on IGMEOY) chance of getting a player sent off. This costs him his entire action, and he is still vulnerable to a foul in the following turn.

How about if a failed Dive resulting in the IGMEOY counter being "reset", so that the referee doesn't have his eye on anyone in particular?

Or a successful argue the call resulting in the Diver being sent off instead?

*This post may have been made without the use of a hat.
Munkey

Post by Munkey »

Nazgit wrote:
Munkey wrote:I like this skill but i'm not keen on actions in Bloodbowl not offering an element of risk.
I agree with this in principle. But you have to look at the benefits v. risks. The Diver has a 6+ or 4+ (depending on IGMEOY) chance of getting a player sent off. This costs him his entire action, and he is still vulnerable to a foul in the following turn.

How about if a failed Dive resulting in the IGMEOY counter being "reset", so that the referee doesn't have his eye on anyone in particular?

Or a successful argue the call resulting in the Diver being sent off instead?
I like the idea of a Dive resetting the IGMEOY counter, as this allows the other team to continue fouling, although this may only be a real problem for the 'divers' team if the opponent has a Dirty Player.

On consideration, I don't think dive would be taken often enough over other skills, or be reliable enough to need a more harsh effect than this though.

[size=75]The short answer is "no", but it is a qualified "no" because there are odd ways of interpreting the question which could justify the answer "yes".[/size]
Joemanji
Power Gamer

Post by Joemanji »

I don't think many people would take it; agreed. I saw it more as a nice little choice for Goblins, for whom no skill is particularly useful.

Munkey

Post by Munkey »

Just to be clear, I wasn't dissing the skill, I just think it would rank alongside Pro as one that looks nice but isn't taken all that often.

I was thinking though that as a Skaven team it might make a nice skill for the unlucky three on the front line, if they survive the initial onslaught.

plasmoid
Legend
Legend

Post by plasmoid »

I think that Dive looks extremely powerful!
So, your opponent has thrown a single foul. Now your prone player can take an action with a 50% chance of knocking down, penetrating armor and scoring a "badly hurt".
Pretty good action for someone who was prone. :o

Martin

plasmoid
Legend
Legend

Post by plasmoid »

There was recently a discussion about having the ball land at the end of the turn at kick-offs. This could be a skill or a kick-off result. Check it out here:
viewtopic.php?t=8809

As a high impact skill it should be hard to get, so I suggest:

Rocket Leg. (General trait).
Only a player with the kick skill may take this trait.

This skill may be used at any kick off by a player on the kicking team who has not been set up in the wide-zone or on the LOS. Roll for scatter as normal, but do not roll for catch/bounce. No player may attempt to pick up the ball until after the receiving team's turn following the kickoff, though they may enter the square where the ball will land. At the end of that turn, a standing player in the same square as the ball may attempt to either pick up or catch the ball; if the ball isn't caught or lands in an empty square bounce the ball and attempt catch rolls as usual.
A touchback prevents this skill from working.

Joemanji
Power Gamer

Post by Joemanji »

Sounds cool. Wasn't there a 3e special play that did the same thing - it was called High Punt or something?

Munkey

Post by Munkey »

Up and Under

Pardus
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Pardus »

Sneaky (i'd love to see this if they bring in the secret weapon rules)
Skill or Trait *shrugs*

-1 or -2 on the roll to detect secret weapons used by this character

I FEEL THE NEED... THE NEED FOR WEED!!!

It's called BloodBOWL!!!

---------------------
Cusi 1975-2004
We'll miss ya dude
---------------------
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Going back to the old 2nd ed

Distract - Player forces a -2 to pass/catch/pick up if in the players TZ. NoS negates this back to a -1.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.