New Handicap Table ... right idea?

Got a great idea and/or proposal for BloodBowl?

Moderator: TFF Mods

Simplified Scaled Handicap Table

Good improvement from the current table
38%
Better but needs a lot more work
31%
Not the right idea
30%

Total votes: 227

Teabag
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Teabag »

It's an improvement to be sure, but a soiled piece of toilet tissue would be an improvement over the LRB handicap table, so that's not saying very much.

If we're judging this new version on it's own merits, then it is most definitely not the right idea. We need a souped-up handicap table and preferably one that is points-based (more accurately than this messy version) and that allows coaches to pick and choose the handicaps.

Terri

Reason: ''
Sticky Wicket
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Sticky Wicket »

Teabag wrote:It's an improvement to be sure, but a soiled piece of toilet tissue would be an improvement over the LRB handicap table, so that's not saying very much.

If we're judging this new version on it's own merits, then it is most definitely not the right idea. We need a souped-up handicap table and preferably one that is points-based (more accurately than this messy version) and that allows coaches to pick and choose the handicaps.

Terri
Well, I wouldn't put it quite a strongly as that but your basically right. :D Sorry everyone but I can not stand this new table. LRB or something else please!

Breadwinner
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Breadwinner »

This handicap table stinks! It's unfair, badly unbalanced, and needs to be scrapped! :evil:

Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

ok your opinions are all well and good but do you care to go on and explain why its bad?

or are we to keep guessing?

plasmoid
Legend
Legend

Post by plasmoid »

Hi all,
while I disagree on a few results, this is basically the right idea.
With this system you don't get handicaps that are way too big or way too weak.

Also, a purchase system will never be fair. It will just be hell to design. Different results will be worth different things for different teams, so I'd rather have the randomness of this table.

Go Galak :D
Martin :)

Havoc
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Havoc »

I havent read all the posts in this tread but here is my comments.

In the original 3:d ed. handicap table you advanced more quickly when you played againts a better team. I liked that. New teams had a hard time in the beginning but could close the gap quite quick. Why not combine the table (modified) with giving the underdog extra SPP and money? I suppose the BBRC has something against this. Could someone explain?

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

Havoc wrote:I suppose the BBRC has something against this. Could someone explain?
Current belief is that your team should improve from the pitch not artifically through challenges to higher TR teams.

The optimum result is for an environment where the better team plays on a more level field not one that accelerates the weaker team.

Galak

Havoc
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Havoc »

I understand. Sounds like good reasons, but I still miss the 3:d ed. table.

Pardus
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Pardus »

"in the bag" really needs something in it for cases where there are less than 11 players

what about "may only field linemen" (yes i know some people are idiots and don't understand how the 0-12 position is linemen no matter what they are called)

I FEEL THE NEED... THE NEED FOR WEED!!!

It's called BloodBOWL!!!

---------------------
Cusi 1975-2004
We'll miss ya dude
---------------------
duff
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by duff »

We've been using it for a while, as a general rule the higher rated team wins still. I think it could be a little stronger and still have the higher rated team have the edge.

I don't have to be faster than the Ogre, just faster than you!
Skummy
Legend
Legend

Post by Skummy »

Pardus wrote:"in the bag" really needs something in it for cases where there are less than 11 players

what about "may only field linemen" (yes i know some people are idiots and don't understand how the 0-12 position is linemen no matter what they are called)
A bit too good, IMO - especially against any of the Undead or the Lizardmen.

I do think it is vital to be able to pick the 5th handicap. I've seen teams be very concerned about having niggles on their roster over TR 200 becasue they knew that the players could be taken out by a targeted virus.

[url=http://www.bloodbowl.net/naf.php?page=tournamentinfo&uname=skummy]Skummy's Tourney History[/url]
DarkHorse
Rookie
Rookie

Post by DarkHorse »

Here's another in my emerging tradition of probably stupid ideas:

DarkHorse's Patented Handicap System of Dubious Value
1. Take the difference between TRs, and divide by two
2. Multiply that by 1,000 (gold)
3. The result is what the lower rated team can spend to freeboot a player, buy an apothecary or coaches or cheerleaders or whatever, but just for the duration of that game.

So, a TR 100 team playing a TR 200 team gets 50,000 gold to spend for the game. You would have to have a difference of 20TR to get enough to buy something. (10,000 g)

If that is not enough, or too much, then you can always change what you divide the TR difference by.

It's simple, at least.

reservoirelves
Experienced
Experienced

Post by reservoirelves »

What do the playtesters have to say about this? I've proposed this to my league and some data would really help us make a decision.

TheDudester
Rookie
Rookie

Post by TheDudester »

Pardus wrote:"in the bag" really needs something in it for cases where there are less than 11 players

Why not let the opponent choose the weakest 11?

Circular_Logic
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Circular_Logic »

True.. I know, that my last opponent wanted my 4 Blackorcs and the Troll to stay out, but 2 throwers, 2 blitzers a gobbo and a lino had the most spp...

Früher hasste ich es zu Hochzeiten zu gehen. Tanten und großmütterliche Bekannte kamen zu mir, pieksten mich in die Seite, lachten und sagten:"Du bist der Nächste." Sie haben mit dem Scheiss aufgehört als ich anfing, auf Beerdigungen das gleiche zu tun.