No TD's, no WIN?

Got a great idea and/or proposal for BloodBowl?

Moderator: TFF Mods

Bludbowler
Experienced
Experienced

No TD's, no WIN?

Post by Bludbowler »

Rule Proposal:

FIGHTING SPIRIT RULE: If a coach refuses to concede a match to his opponent even though he has no players available to place on the field for the next kickoff, that match will be declared complete, and the score at that point in the match will be declared the final score of the match.

I know, I know, the game is called "Blood Bowl," blah, blah, blah. But In the rulebook, it clearly states that "the team with the most Touchdowns at the end of (the game) is the winner." I don't think it's fair for a coach who hasn't scored a single TD to win by forfeit just because he's completely destroyed the other coach's team.

Basically, if you can't score, you can't win.

Reason: ''
frogbear
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Re: No TD's, no WIN?

Post by frogbear »

Bludbowler wrote: I don't think it's fair for a coach who hasn't scored a single TD to win by forfeit just because he's completely destroyed the other coach's team.

Even since 2nd edition, I have never seen a team that could not feild at least 1 player.

Is this a real consistent issue or just a one time freak occurance? Is it appropriate to justify another rule?

*Beside Myself with Grief*
Jural
Legend
Legend

Post by Jural »

Well wait a minute. According to the current rules, a coach doesn't need to concede ever, even if he doesn't have a single model to field!

All your system does is allow a team to "quit while you are ahead."

Bludbowler
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Bludbowler »

The way I've always understood conceding a match, whether it's in BB or any other game/sport/contest, is that if you "concede" to your opponent, you're saying "I quit, you win." Unless you can show me in the rulebook where "conceding" does not mean "losing," I'll continue to fight for the coaches who actually try to win by scoring.

In every league or tournament I've been in, there have always been one or two coaches who try to destroy the other team as fast as possible without even trying to score TD's simply to force a win by forfeit. Yes, I know that winning by being "bashy" is allowed in the current game, and I accept the concept of bashing your opponent until they're weak enough to score against. However, I've also seen my share of coaches give up BB in disgust after having their team completely destroyed.

Granted, it's easier for unlucky teams to survive now with the new Journeyman inducement, but it still isn't fun once you start down that slippery slope of never having enough players from match to match.

Bludbowler
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Bludbowler »

Jural wrote:Well wait a minute. According to the current rules, a coach doesn't need to concede ever, even if he doesn't have a single model to field!

All your system does is allow a team to "quit while you are ahead."
Oops, sorry, you're right, my bad.

I completely forgot about the recently added rule on page 15 of LRB5 that allows the game to continue even if there are no players available to place on the field for either team.

Never mind! :roll:

Smurf
mattgslater's court jester

Re:

Post by Smurf »

Bludbowler wrote:The way I've always understood conceding a match, whether it's in BB or any other game/sport/contest, is that if you "concede" to your opponent, you're saying "I quit, you win." Unless you can show me in the rulebook where "conceding" does not mean "losing," I'll continue to fight for the coaches who actually try to win by scoring.

In every league or tournament I've been in, there have always been one or two coaches who try to destroy the other team as fast as possible without even trying to score TD's simply to force a win by forfeit. Yes, I know that winning by being "bashy" is allowed in the current game, and I accept the concept of bashing your opponent until they're weak enough to score against. However, I've also seen my share of coaches give up BB in disgust after having their team completely destroyed.

Granted, it's easier for unlucky teams to survive now with the new Journeyman inducement, but it still isn't fun once you start down that slippery slope of never having enough players from match to match.
I've seen stupid coaches. Don't go into a blocking game with a team that will rip you to shreds. Quick turnovers upsets the bashy team because they need to herd the players into box to pummel them. Other teams need to use selective blitzs. BTW if you go with a league like that, I changed the apoth rules.

My WE team ripped through an Orc team once. The orcs suffered 4 cas!
My Chaos team was ripped through by a skaven team. They had 6 in the dugout!

Rule of thumb if you have a low AV team expect to get ripped up.

The Scrumpers (Wood Elf)
Timog (Chaos Dwarves)
Cursed Crypt (Khemri)
Fur Fur Furious (Skaven)
Wanchor
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Wanchor »

I don't see a problem with it anyhow. If coaches want to shoot the moon by trying to completely annihiliate the other team, I say let them.

Duke Jan
Legend
Legend
Location: Watching the great unclean armpits of a Beast Of Nurgle

Post by Duke Jan »

frogbear wrote:Even since 2nd edition, I have never seen a team that could not feild at least 1 player.
Really? I have been playing since 3rd ed and seen the pitch cleared a few times. Once even with someone failing to score in the remaining two or three turns.

Nuffle Sucks!