Line outs!

Got a great idea and/or proposal for BloodBowl?

Moderator: TFF Mods

Magic Dave
Super Star
Super Star

Line outs!

Post by Magic Dave »

OK this isn't just lets have line outs in the game, i was thinking of a way of doing subs in the game but not after a td or the end of the half.

So i can up with line outs, it would make the game very different and more like rugby. If the ball ever went out, play would stop and the team that didn't kick the ball in to touch would line X numbers of guys in a line from the square that the ball went out of touch. the other player could then line up the same amount or less players. play would start again with the player on the square where the ball went out passing or handing off to a new player but not as the first action but the only action he could do. If the team that kicked the ball into touch has the ball bounce into touch then they have the line out.

Of course when the ball is out of play teams can make as many subs as they like.

Not saying it should be a rule just interested in your views of how a game using this would play. Some teams would like to keep the ball on the field some could use it very well, if they get the throw in. Woodelf could keep the catchers on the bench, kick down field get the throw in and bring on the catchers.

your thought please and remember it came from away to stop play to bring on subs.

Reason: ''
mattgslater
King of Comedy
Location: Far to the west, across the great desert, in the fabled Land of Comedy

Post by mattgslater »

I think I understand what you mean. If I don't it'll become obvious and you'll correct me. This would trigger whenever the ball goes out, right? So it would mostly happen off of sideline routes and deep cages, and a team with the ball could engineer it at end of turn. As for the specific mechanics, I need to think a little more and will come back soon with a better conception of what you're talking about and how it would apply.

Given just that, It's clever and sounds like it would be fun, or could be turned into something fun. If your fellow coaches are game, you should try it.

Generally, I think "subs" house rules should be restricted to stunties. Developed elves need no boost. Besides, keying reserves to sending the ball out-of-bounds (is this what you mean?) won't have an impact very often, as teams who really need to bring in players usually either can't get the ball or have no bench left.

You could probably get the right crowd to go for a special play card that did something like that. Special play cards that encourage odd gimmicks and play homage to the rules and traditions of the various football games around the world are always lots of fun, and you could use this concept to do both. The old "Burst Ball" card was lots of fun and pretty effective without ever seeming broken, and this would be a similar way to do the same thing.

If your concern is adding opportunities to bring in the bench, why not incentivize quick TDs? I'm not sure how to do that, but it would probably be a lot simpler. A change to SPP structure? 3rd-editiony score-stopper cards? Those had a big effect: if you had a bad drive and didn't think you could recover the ball, you wouldn't stop a TD if you thought you might have time to return fire, but if your opponent had a card you'd often score in turn 7 instead of turn 8.

What is Nuffle's view? Through a window, two-by-three. He peers through snake eyes.
What is Nuffle's lawn? Inches, squares, and tackle zones: Reddened blades of grass.
What is Nuffle's tree? Risk its trunk, space the branches. Touchdowns are its fruit.
Magic Dave
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Magic Dave »

i think some rules for kicking and poss some new lines on the board, to stop kicks right on the goal line and the other team have to setup in just 2 deep squares. Also the KO and bigger squads rules might be needed.

but i'll try and write up some thing and poss it here.