New Skills

Got a great idea and/or proposal for BloodBowl?

Moderator: TFF Mods

SillySod
Eternal Rookie
Eternal Rookie

New Skills

Post by SillySod »

Man Mark - general skill

I thought about tackle a bit recently, then thought about dwarfs vs amazons... and somewhere along the way I got an idea, please please please someone think of a better name for it :) The idea is that against some players you arent just going to turn and run... a good defender will make that hard for you to do, maybe you'll have to slow down a little, dodge from side to side to throw him off etc.

Man Mark - it costs two movement points to dodge out of the tacklezone of a player with Man Mark.

I think this would actually be a pretty interesting skill, it dosent shut down players but you can use it to reduce their options. I also think it might be a good skill for dwarf longbeards, replacing tackle with Man Mark would remove the dodge vs tackle problem while still giving the dwarfs proper options to try and shut down agility plays. It might be too good for longbeards to have without re-balancing the team though, I havent seen anything like this in action so I'm not entirely sure.

Brutal - strength skill

This skill is a fouling skill. I think that the current fouling system is less than desirable, the initial chance of sendoffs being too high and later chances of send offs being too low makes fouling desirable for only a few teams but quite powerful on those teams (one reason undead got better). I'm not sure how to fix this without bringing back the much hated eye and hence destroying the sneaky git skill. Possibly the way to bring back the balance would be to say that a foul that breaks armour that isnt the first foul (by that team) will result in a send off. then to make the initial foul more desirable than it is currently put that +1 to the armour roll for making a foul back in.
However, whether that is changed or not I would like a fouling skill for big guys - it feels wrong that a troll stepping on you dosent really hurt. A brutal player has been taught "if at first you dont succede, boot him again". A vigilant ref would of course stop the beast after they've had one good try but often the unfortunate victim will get attacked repeatedly before anyone has noticed.

Brutal - a brutal player may re-roll either the armour or injury roll when commiting a foul provided they havent already been spotted by the ref. If the new roll is a double then they will be sent off as normal.

Notice that this skill combines very well with sneaky git but being a strength skill means that very few players have access to the combo without doubles.

Reason: ''
Victim of the Colonel's car boot smash. First person to use Glynn's bath.
Update: the Hartlepool family Glynn now has a virgin bath.

Barney is a clever dog.
Magictobe
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Magictobe »

I like the dynamics of your first skill. The fact that a player cannot just dodge away but that he first have to make some "fake movements" (do not know the correct english) to release him from the opponent.

In that case you can call it hug 8) (hope it is spelled correct). That player is hugging you and you have to out manouvre him and therefor it cost you some movement. I know it does not sound very bloodbowlish but you get the picture. :smoking: But this name would change the dynamics of what you intent to represent.
But then again, it looks similar to tentacles. OK, tentacles is a mutation so not many players can have the skill. Maybe, players should be given the choice with tentacles (-1 on the dodge, or -2 on movement)

Another name could be "focused tacklezone". This player is so focused on his tackle zone that you have to make fake movements to outmanouver him and to be able to dodge away. I like this name more.

The second skill I do not like so much. It swings the fouling play to the other side again. Maybe you should make it function like pro and let them roll a +4 to be able to reroll the armour or injury.

But as you can read from my reply, I like your first skill more.

Khar-peth
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Khar-peth »

Man Mark - it costs two movement points to dodge out of the tacklezone of a player with Man Mark.
what if the dodging player has MA 2 ?

Vain
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Vain »

Khar-peth wrote:
Then your treeman/severely crippled BoB or Tomb Guardian will need to GFI. Though why you are dodging with any of them I have no idea.

SillySod
Eternal Rookie
Eternal Rookie

Post by SillySod »

Khar-peth wrote:
Then they will move a single square... sorry if its poorly worded but the 2 squares cost to dodge out is instead of the single square cost that is normally the case.

Victim of the Colonel's car boot smash. First person to use Glynn's bath.
Update: the Hartlepool family Glynn now has a virgin bath.

Barney is a clever dog.
Thordallim
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Thordallim »

stutter step (spelling)
shake n' bake ^^

Eurobowl 2003 & 2004 Team Belgium Member

Nuffle Sucks!
Apprentice Blasphemer
Nuffle Blasphemer's Association
Khar-peth
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Khar-peth »

Then they will move a single square... sorry if its poorly worded but the 2 squares cost to dodge out is instead of the single square cost that is normally the case.
then its a bit weak imo

what if you dodge out of the tacklezones of 2 players with Man Mark ? does it stack ?

i still like the idea :wink:

lerchey
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by lerchey »

Seems that the first skill is more an issue of the guy being dodged from than the guy dodging, so things like "stutter step" don't really make that much sense to me.

What about something like "Sticky" or "Coverage"...

Sticky (General)
This player excels at sticking to the player he's watching making it more difficult for them to cleanly dodge away. Any player dodging out of this players tackle zone pays 2 Movement to leave the square.

Coverage (General)
This player excels at covering their man, making it... see above. :)

?