Is Blackpool a nice enough place to play Blood Bowl?

Discuss teams, ride/hotel sharing, trash talk, and event results here

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

Redfang
Legend
Legend
Location: With the wife, watching Zara and the Hasslefree chick from behind their bedroom curtain...

Post by Redfang »

I've been to Blackpool once; I wasn't really looking forward to ever going there again. Something about a McDonalds filled with ten-year old kids chain-smoking cigarettes made me figure it wasn't really a High-Class town...

Reason: ''
Ik wou dat ik twee blondjes was,
Dan kon ik samen spelen.

[size=67][url=http://www.talkbloodbowl.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=14334]Bragging[/url][/size]

What keeps me busy nowadays: [url=http://www.bruchius.com/]Fun with violence.[/url]
Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

that sounds like every mcdonalds ;]

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Or every English town. :-?

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Norse
Da Organiza

Post by Norse »

I'm with me grumpy old buddies DW and LF on this one... you guys have effectively retained the trophy by holding the thing in Chernobyl so that no other self respecting nation can attend...

I wash my hands with the lot of you...

get proper jobs and then hold it somewhere nice you sick f*cks! :evil:

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
Old Man Draco
Monkey Spanker

Post by Old Man Draco »

Make it a night program on the ferry between Amsterdam and Newcastle! during daytime you can visit Newcastle and walk through the streets like zombies! :lol:

Stunty King of Lutèce Bowl 2006!:lol:

Owner of a "Deputy Dook Badge"
Podfrey
Bum Monkey

Post by Podfrey »

Norse wrote:I'm with me grumpy old buddies DW and LF on this one... you guys have effectively retained the trophy by holding the thing in Chernobyl so that no other self respecting nation can attend...

Norse wrote:I officially withdraw from this year's tourney... I'm not sure which special needs inbred chose Blackpool, but they need their god-damned head examined...

why not Bognor Regis FFS?

morons! :evil:
The northern inbreds wanted it in Hartlepool!

I think this is an over-reaction and speaking personally I hope you'll reconsider. The venue is a school in a quieter area of Blackpool (next to a load of nursing homes, so Norse you can come along and have a good old moan with the biddies there ;-) ). You'll be spending all day in the school (or nursing home), and the evening in a bar or restaurant. I don't know when you'll have the time to see "Chernobyl" :-?

Blackpool was selected as a location due to:
a) 1 hour by train from 2 major international airports
b) an abundance of accommodation from £15 per night upwards within walking distance of the event
c) low cost venue

We are catering for ALL comers, and don't wish to exclude anyone on the basis of cost. If you don't like it then you can always stay in Liverpool (capital of culture 2008), Manchester or anywhere else nearby and drive in each day (about 1 hour travel).

Apologies, but to all the nay-sayers I think you're being petty.

Deathwing
The Voice of Reason

Post by Deathwing »

lucifer wrote: The venue is a school in a quieter area of Blackpool (next to a load of nursing homes...
Where? Not off the Lytham Rd by any chance is it...?

"Deathwing treats newcomers like sh*t"
"...the brain dead Mod.."
Norse
Da Organiza

Post by Norse »

lucifer wrote:
Norse wrote:I'm with me grumpy old buddies DW and LF on this one... you guys have effectively retained the trophy by holding the thing in Chernobyl so that no other self respecting nation can attend...

Norse wrote:I officially withdraw from this year's tourney... I'm not sure which special needs inbred chose Blackpool, but they need their god-damned head examined...

why not Bognor Regis FFS?

morons! :evil:
The northern inbreds wanted it in Hartlepool!

I think this is an over-reaction and speaking personally I hope you'll reconsider. The venue is a school in a quieter area of Blackpool (next to a load of nursing homes, so Norse you can come along and have a good old moan with the biddies there ;-) ). You'll be spending all day in the school (or nursing home), and the evening in a bar or restaurant. I don't know when you'll have the time to see "Chernobyl" :-?

Blackpool was selected as a location due to:
a) 1 hour by train from 2 major international airports
b) an abundance of accommodation from £15 per night upwards within walking distance of the event
c) low cost venue

We are catering for ALL comers, and don't wish to exclude anyone on the basis of cost. If you don't like it then you can always stay in Liverpool (capital of culture 2008), Manchester or anywhere else nearby and drive in each day (about 1 hour travel).

Apologies, but to all the nay-sayers I think you're being petty.
OK, England fail to show at the first Eurobowl and now think we're being petty... :roll:

1) Isn't London about 30 minutes away from 4 major airports?
2) Give me a break.. if I wanted a cheap hobby I wouldn't play GW games
3) shouldn't matter remotely... we pay 40 EUR a head at Lutece and play in one of the nicest venues around... why does everyone always try to do things on the cheap...

sorry, I probably did over-react a bit yesterday, but I still maintain this is a dreadful decision compared to alternative locations like London, Reading, Oxford... did you guys actually think of anyone except yourselves?? :evil:

perhaps we should hold the DO in Gouda from now on and see what that does for attendance.... :roll:

Norse, officially withdrawn from the 2005 Eurobowl.. I wish any European team success if they promise to hold the 2006 tourney in a decent location.. go Spain! I have never been to Barcelona.. :lol:

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
Old Man Draco
Monkey Spanker

Post by Old Man Draco »

Norse wrote:perhaps we should hold the DO in Gouda from now on and see what that does for attendance.... :roll:
I would pick Lelystad in that case. Gouda is a nice town you know! :D

Norse
Da Organiza

Post by Norse »

fair enough.. be glad I didn't chose Almere.. :P

Old Man Draco
Monkey Spanker

Post by Old Man Draco »

Absolutly true! We can always try and rent the castle we have stopped building three years ago! Nicely located and no distractions! Too bad it has no windows rood etc! :lol:

But this is getting to far off topic. I'll tiptoe away and leave you guys to it! :D

lowsman2
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by lowsman2 »

I must admit that Blackpool would not be my first choice, but I do think some of the reactions are ott. London, although far better for transport links (Eurotunnel, ferries, as well as more accesible airports) is far harder to find a suitable venue in, never mind accomodation costs. And in November Blackpool will be fine for BB, as all you need is somewhere to eat and drink!

Deathwing
The Voice of Reason

Post by Deathwing »

Bloody hell, I was only taking the piss.

'I'm not going because of the location?' F**kin hell Ramz, get a grip...

But while we're on the subject, here's something I read on another forum today.....

"I had to go to Blackpool on business yesterday, after our meeting my colleague and myself went for a pint or two in one of the seafront pubs. We left the pub, and as it was a sunny and pleasant afternoon we decided to walk along the promenade. After a few minutes we heard a a right old commotion going on just ahead of us, there were lots a people gathered round with kids, dogs just the usual Holiday type crowd, what surprised us was that they were all watching this bloke beating his girlfriend up, then the girlfriend starting fighting back, lashing out, kicking punching the works, kids were watching this, then the bloke grabbed his girlfriend and we assumed, his....kid and threw the kid against a wall, people were going mad, the two of them are really laying into each other, the kid was screaming it`s head off and then the Police arrived. The policeman was trying to calm the bloke down when the girlfriend whacks the copper one, the copper the bloke and the woman are all scrapping like mad, the crowd were going crazy..........."

Thadrin
Moaning Git

Post by Thadrin »

I'm pretty sure Blackpool made it into one of the "Crap towns" books.
(the second of which named Luton as the worst place in Britain :) . Screw the Hatters!)

I'll have a look when I get home, and post any interesting quotes I find.

I know a bear that you don't know. * ICEPELT IS MY HERO.
Master bleater. * Not in the clique.
Member of the "3 digit" club.
Deathwing
The Voice of Reason

Post by Deathwing »

....and then a crocodile ate all the sausages.