Translators (all languages but French) requested/needed

However you play online - Java, Vassal, Email, Cyanide etc - talk about it here.
This is also the place for discussing the various tools for managing leagues, teams and so on.

Moderator: TFF Mods

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Translators (all languages but French) requested/needed

Post by GalakStarscraper »

I am going to start work soon on making it so that the PBeM tool can play in the native language of the two players. Now the Hungarian version will not be able to play with the Italian version. I thought it would be a big improvement if two non-English speaking Italian coaches could throw down via PBeM.

To this extent I am creating a fairly large text file with phrase and words from the game that will need translated.

If I do this I would really love to be about to release the program with at least 5 languages finished and ready to go as part of the new version.

I already have a French translator lined by (thanks Dain).

What I need is folks fluent in written English and another language to reliably and timely translate the final PBeM translation file when I finish it (it will take me 2 to 3 months to finish writting it).

I'd love to be able to premiere this new version with at a minimum if possible:

French (thanks Dain)
Spanish
Italian
German
Dutch (Norse/Lucy? if not I'm thinking Ronald Lokers could do it)

I'm going to try for Hungarian also as I have a Hungarian person I've dealt with for small translation before.

If you are bi-lingual with English and another language and are a reliable resource to assist with this please post and let me know. The more languages the better.

Thanks to ton,
Galak

Reason: ''
Thadrin
Moaning Git

Post by Thadrin »

I'm sure I could give you a Swedish version if none of the natives want the job.

I know a bear that you don't know. * ICEPELT IS MY HERO.
Master bleater. * Not in the clique.
Member of the "3 digit" club.
veron
Veteran
Veteran

Post by veron »

I could do the Finnish translation, but I'm not sure if it's a good idea or not... Because I think most Finnish players would want to use the original english version even if there was a translated version. This is because we have used to play all GW's games in English anyway. For example, none of the Blood Bowl editions have even been translated into Finnish (as far as I know anyway).

But, if you'd still want it done, I can do it.

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Thank you both very much.

Okay, I got 3 languages for the premiere ... yah ... I was hoping it wasn't going to be just French and Canadian (adding -eh? to everything ... Dodge-eh?, Dauntless-eh?) in the new release, glad to see I have some takers

sorry to all my buddies in Canada ... just kidding. .. :D

Galak

Harleqin
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Harleqin »

I'll do the Danish version if you need someone. Time to show that it wasn't a mistake that I got that degree in English :lol:

The game is about GLORY. Doing things in STYLE.
Lucien Swift
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Lucien Swift »

my degree in english, however, will remain a huge mistake forever...

iron chef kosher
manusate
Veteran
Veteran

Post by manusate »

I can do the Spanish translation for you, Galak. I´ve done this sort of things before. :smoking:

Joaquim

Post by Joaquim »

Well, I know you won't believe... but actually I can READ english - and write portuguese.... if you want...

Just don't ask me to SPEAK english.... because speaking... even portuguese.....

Marcus
Da Tulip Champ I

Post by Marcus »

Could possibly sort a japanese version if there's any real need for it.

Marcus - [url=http://www.talkbloodbowl.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=42448#42448]Hall of Famer[/url] - [url=http://www.irwilliams.com/ecbbl/index.php]Edinboro Castle Blood Bowl League[/url]
horekim
Super Star
Super Star

Post by horekim »

Harleqin wrote:I'll do the Danish version if you need someone.
It's kind of funny, but I think I would be very confused if I was to play a danish version of this game. Many of the terms you use while playing are english anyway. If you want to put in the hours of work then by all means do so, but I think a lot of danes would use the english version.

Lead Under The Bed - My painting blog
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Marcus wrote:Could possibly sort a japanese version if there's any real need for it.
Just because its a different alphabet .. this would be cool.

As for everyone else who has posted thanks very much. Given the number of folks that are willing to assist. I will definitely proceed forward with this project. I'll let you know when the master translation file is ready to be emailed to each of you.

Thanks again,

Galak

Mr. Sanity
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Mr. Sanity »

Galak, why will the different language versions be incompatible for gameplay? If you perform i18n corrently, there should be no conflicts between the different language versions. I.E. a Spanish player should be able to play a Japanese player, since all of the text differs only in the string table.

Is this an issue due to log files? If so, then maybe you should consider creating a string table for the log message types as well.

It would be unfortunate if making the tool multi-lingual ended up dividing the playing communites by language, or force multilingual players to have to constantly update multiple versions of the tool upon each new release. If you could explain the reason for breaking compatibility between the languages, I would be glad to try to help you and Ronald come up with a solution.

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

horekim wrote:
Harleqin wrote:I'll do the Danish version if you need someone.
It's kind of funny, but I think I would be very confused if I was to play a danish version of this game. Many of the terms you use while playing are english anyway. If you want to put in the hours of work then by all means do so, but I think a lot of danes would use the english version.
Forgive my stupidity here ... but I thought Denmark spoke Flemish ... or is the Belgium ... oh man ... memory is the first thing to go. No offense meant here at all. All languages are equally welcome.

My ex-wife used to think it was cool to talk in Flemish which she knew I didn't know a single word of ... I have a feeling I was insulted a lot more than I knew in that time.

Galak

horekim
Super Star
Super Star

Post by horekim »

GalakStarscraper wrote:... but I thought Denmark spoke Flemish
well I certainly don't :wink:

Lead Under The Bed - My painting blog
Harleqin
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Harleqin »

horekim wrote:
Agreed, but there are also a lot of younger people in Denmark whose mastery of English is less than perfect. The same goes for older people. While most might be able to communicate and understand most things they read then it's not the same as getting the right nuance. I've had some pretty intense rules discussions with friends because a rule has been misread or misunderstood. Our personal differences between trying to play in the spirit like I do or trying to use the rules to one's own advantage is also a difference that can cause a few heated arguments. I think there are plenty of reasons to do a proper translation.

And Galak. We're Danes and thus we speak Danish :wink: That other thing is in Belgium if I'm not mistaken.

The game is about GLORY. Doing things in STYLE.