JBB 5.8 Bugs (PBEM Team Creator)

However you play online - Java, Vassal, Email, Cyanide etc - talk about it here.
This is also the place for discussing the various tools for managing leagues, teams and so on.

Moderator: TFF Mods

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

Toby wrote:Ski, with so many people on this board and others I am surprised that JBB is still done by you alone. Aren't there more people who have the skill to help you? However, by all means keep up your superb efford everybody i showed JBB was amazed that this is done "as a hobby". Its really really good.
Creative control. I bugged Ronald for a year before he agreed to let me help on a trial basis. I'm sure I took the program in some directions he had not planned on, but on the whole it worked, but Ronald and I were the exception to a working team. However, I'll be honest, I don't see us adding a 3rd member at any point soon. I can very much understand Ski's wanting to maintain control and ownership of his source code.

Especially when folks like Ronald and Christer are willing to make add-ons for certain other features.

Galak

Reason: ''
tchatter
Super Star
Super Star

Post by tchatter »

Its almost as much work trying to coordinate what people are working on and putting it all back together, as it is to create the program alone.

I can't wait to see the improvements that Ronald has in store for the Team Creator, it already has saved me a TON of time. People just seem to have a problem adding players, and handling the post game... I don't why?

FUMBBL Coach name: tchatter
Ex-Commish of REBBL
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

tchatter wrote:Its almost as much work trying to coordinate what people are working on and putting it all back together, as it is to create the program alone.

I can't wait to see the improvements that Ronald has in store for the Team Creator, it already has saved me a TON of time. People just seem to have a problem adding players, and handling the post game... I don't why?
The in-game ability now in any 2.4beta version to do full Stats Changes on anything should help you also Tim with this task.

Ronald and I use a checkout system. The game is written over a series of about 50 seperate code modules. So we check out a module if we are going to work on something. Most changes only effect 1 to 3 modules, so this works fairly well.

Galak

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

The other thing that Ronald and I are going to try to add is an ability to record match history in the Team Creator (like the old TeamTracker used to do).

Once that is finished ... then the next task we'll undertake is making the PBeM tool automatically update this match history when you export the new file.

We're getting the system pretty good folks ... just give us time.

Galak

mattski
Star Player
Star Player

Post by mattski »

GalakStarscraper wrote:The other thing that Ronald and I are going to try to add is an ability to record match history in the Team Creator (like the old TeamTracker used to do).

Once that is finished ... then the next task we'll undertake is making the PBeM tool automatically update this match history when you export the new file.

Galak
ah yes, the holy grail of what i would like the html editor to be!

Toby

Post by Toby »

Cool.

That would resolve the need to have exel installed to keep track of match records;

SkiJunkie
Veteran
Veteran

Post by SkiJunkie »

Creative control. I bugged Ronald for a year before he agreed to let me help on a trial basis. I'm sure I took the program in some directions he had not planned on, but on the whole it worked, but Ronald and I were the exception to a working team. However, I'll be honest, I don't see us adding a 3rd member at any point soon. I can very much understand Ski's wanting to maintain control and ownership of his source code.
Yes. Plus I know all the code right now like the back of my hand. If I let other people add code I lose that. I won't have the time or energy to look at an understand another persons code. I have to do that as as part of my career, and I tell you it is one of the least favorite things a software engineer does. Ask almost any software engineer if they like to fix bugs in other peoples code and you will probably get a #%$ no. So if I have to start doing that, it stops being fun to work on it. If it stops being fun to work on, it stops getting worked on.

And some of it is not written very....err...clearly. :) Some parts are quite touchy. One little change in the wrong place could seriously break stuff, and many time the broken stuff is unrelated to what you changed.

So it isn't that I have not seen people that are more than capable and willing to help out, I'm just afraid I will lose interest once the issues that arise from working together on a project start to pop up.

So right now I am more that happy to let these talented people help me out in ways that don't really affect the main gameplay. Such as the Luck class, the proxy server, the replayer, the handling of key events in jre 1.4, ect.

One day I may rewrite the whole shootin' match. If I do that then I would solicit help. Christer and I have already talked about a good way to do it that would allow people to add plugins and replace certain elements. In that scheme if someone wanted to write a 3d field to replace the default field it would be possible.

P.S. Toby, there is a 4.8b out now that uses "1" and "0" in the apothecary fields.

--SkiJunkie
Toby

Post by Toby »

:D

8)

:smoking:

Thank you !

Toby

Post by Toby »

Ski, 5.8b fixes the broken teamrating as well... it seems...
What did you do? Treasuy/1000? did you add Fan Factor to Teamrating as well?

So the Apothecary is fixed and Team Rating is now calculated correctly. Nice work! The bold characteristics remain; No way JBB can read values inside the tags i guess?

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Toby wrote:Ski, 5.8b fixes the broken teamrating as well... it seems...

So the Apothecary is fixed and Team Rating is now calculated correctly. Nice work! The bold characteristics remain; No way JBB can read values inside the tags i guess?
I think Ronald is going to try to fix this for a JBB dump option that doesn't do the bolding when it saves the HTML. I think was a team creator fix and not a JBB fix.

Galak

Toby

Post by Toby »

Galak, when including a JBB Dump, make the produced file HTML. Because by default JBB does not show HTM Files. Not that it doesn't work its just... you know; Some people tend to fall over everything ;)

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Toby wrote:Galak, when including a JBB Dump, make the produced file HTML. Because by default JBB does not show HTM Files. Not that it doesn't work its just... you know; Some people tend to fall over everything ;)
Got it HTML and an ability to lose the bold tags.

Galak

SkiJunkie
Veteran
Veteran

Post by SkiJunkie »

Ski, 5.8b fixes the broken teamrating as well... it seems...

So the Apothecary is fixed and Team Rating is now calculated correctly. Nice work!
I didn't do anything with the treasury. Possible the PBEM-TC gave up calculating the team rating when it didn't recognize the apothecary field?
Anyway, glad to see it works now.

--SkiJunkie