BLoodbowl Java games on mobile phones

However you play online - Java, Vassal, Email, Cyanide etc - talk about it here.
This is also the place for discussing the various tools for managing leagues, teams and so on.

Moderator: TFF Mods

c9805222
Rookie
Rookie

BLoodbowl Java games on mobile phones

Post by c9805222 »

Hello

Now that mobile phones can play java games, is it possible to play a java bloodgame from a mobile phone or PDA?

I'm asking because my only PC access is at work and I can't play BB java games at work...

Reason: ''
Hello!
Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

no not yet

i do know christer was messing about trying to get javabowl to work on his pda though, not sure if he managed it

Toby

Post by Toby »

I think this would be a waste of time right now.

Because in two more years from now or so, when Java Blood Bowl is 5 Versions higher and Blood Bowl is two rules reviews better, by that time mobile devices will have improved a great deal.

I think then PDA/Mobile Phone/Laptop/Pocket PC/Tablet PC will be pretty much capable of the same things a Desktop PC is right now.

Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

laptop and tablet pcs are capable of what desktops are now

Toby

Post by Toby »

Not really in terms of internet connection.
It's simply to expensive to surf the web with a Laptop, using your Mobile Phone as a Modem.

But in the future I think internet access will be everywhere via Wireless Lan Hotspots.

Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

you don't have to connect to the internet over a modem because you are using a laptop

i could quite easily plug it into my network or even set up a wireless connection

c9805222
Rookie
Rookie

Post by c9805222 »

Mobile access to the web isn't all that bad, if you connect a laptop to the web using a mobile phone and GPRS access then you get a 56k connection.

You can get the same connection just going through the mobile phone or PDA. With GPRS cost may / may not be a factor since you only pay for download and not time spent connected.

The problem I have is I'm not sure how to a get the application onto the phone and even if I could how to configure it, I was just wondering if anyone had tried / thought of doing this?

Thanks for any help

Hello!
SkiJunkie
Veteran
Veteran

Post by SkiJunkie »

Grumbledook wrote:no not yet

i do know christer was messing about trying to get javabowl to work on his pda though, not sure if he managed it
I don't think this will happen. I have pretty much the same pda Christer has, and I've played with the java runtime it has. Unfortunately it only supports java 1.2. Java bbowl is written for java 1.3 or higher. So it would take quite a bit of rewrite to get it working on the pda (not including redesigning the interface so that you don't have to scroll a 320x200 screen around to view the 1024x768 jbb window). :D

The java runtime on most phones (not the pocket pc phones) is a completely different beast. So that would be nigh impossible to convert. It would probably be easier to start over for those.

As for internet connection it is very simple. I have a wireless lan card on my pda. I can get on the internet at many local restaurants around town that offer free wireless internet to customers. And it is usually faster than using a cell phone as a modem.

--SkiJunkie