Death Bowl 2003 - Tomorrow's the day

Post your announcement for your tournament. You many only have ONE thread per a tournament in this area. The dates of your event with the year should be included in the subject header.

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

Melifaxis
Legend
Legend

Post by Melifaxis »

Thanks! I just booked there as well $69 for one person. See you at the tourney. 8)

Reason: ''

NAF Rankings
Commissioner: HBBL & GSBBL (7's)
Tournament Organizer: The Beantown Brouhaha & the Draughthouse Massacre & The Tricorn Cup
NBA Heretic & Proud Beer-Drinker of the NFL
CyberHare
Star Player
Star Player

Post by CyberHare »

narkotic wrote:Obviously this time Fanatic has invested even less money into their "limited tourney attendance miniature" than the 5 Pence for the copper coin at BB: namely nothing, they just pulled out some old limited edition mini from the attic they already used three years ago. :roll:
Well considering that the Death Bowl is not an official GW tourney and that I've no where near towed the line when it comes to GW tourney standards (painted teams, gw only figs, etc) I think it's pretty cool of them to be supporting the event in any way they can. Yes the fig may be a rerelease of a fig that was already used at a tournament but that was a tournament 5000 kilometers away that only a handfull of people here in North America will ever attend. I may be biased in the fact that I'm the guy running the tournament but I'm pretty damn gratefull that Andy is bringing the figs and allowing a non-GW tourney to be the place to get this fig in North America. That might mean squat to you but let me tell you the locals here on this side of the pond are mighty happy that Andy is coming no matter what he brings.
narkotic wrote:Maybe somebody could ask Andy to shell out some more Res. GR for the second year NAF membership price. After all, they don't seem to be so rare. Probably they even got cast new for the Death Bowl. :evil:
How many are in existance now? 80 maybe 100? and 95% of them overseas. Is it such a bad thing if Fanatic did recast a few of them to give a chance to those coaches who can't travel across the pond to get one? There will not be a sudden flood of this fig showing up on ebay as Blood Bowl figs over here are only starting to hit the shelves in any quantities. Limtied edition figs are pretty rare around here, next to non existant so there won't be too many people giving up that fig.

Was it late in the game to announce this, yes and I'm sorry for that but it couldn't be helped. But how many people would have traveled overseas to the Death bowl even with this news? I've yet to hear one complaint from someone on this side of the pond.

Brian St.James

Death Bowl IV - Only the best will survive!
Find out more at www.TheDeathBowl.com
Twist
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Twist »

Brian, I'd be there even if I get nothing for it other than a spanking in every game I play. But that won't happen, I'm bound to play someone from Quebec. :lol:

Oh, and send me your cell #, willya? :wink:

Twist.

BKBBL
http://bkbbl.com/
CyberHare
Star Player
Star Player

Post by CyberHare »

Twist wrote:It was only $79 a night for two people! :o The woman I spoke to wasn't the most polite, but she did mention that I could have got the room with a whirlpool/spa! So it can't be too bad! So at least 2 people will be there.
What you didn't get the whirlpool? :o :D

Don't worry about here not being polite, I'm sure it was nothing against you. I've rented a room there often (with a whirlpool 8) ) and that's her normal charming self.

Brian St.James

Death Bowl IV - Only the best will survive!
Find out more at www.TheDeathBowl.com
Twist
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Twist »

Her normal charming self?!? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I was just surprised at the cost! Fits right into my budget! :)

Twist.

BKBBL
neoliminal
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by neoliminal »

I once has a ressurection skaven. Then I sold it on ebay for $104USD!!!!!!

:smoking:

[b]NAF Founder[/b]
Twist
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Twist »

Man, someone musta wanted it bad! :lol:

You coming to Montreal this weekend, John?

Cam.

Twist.

BKBBL
narkotic
Da Collector

Post by narkotic »

CyberHare wrote:How many are in existance now? 80 maybe 100? and 95% of them overseas. Is it such a bad thing if Fanatic did recast a few of them to give a chance to those coaches who can't travel across the pond to get one? There will not be a sudden flood of this fig showing up on ebay as Blood Bowl figs over here are only starting to hit the shelves in any quantities. Limtied edition figs are pretty rare around here, next to non existant so there won't be too many people giving up that fig.
No, it's nice that Fanatic supports your tourney and it's fine that they contribute something rare. What I criticize is an obvious inconsistent policy: the limited event bound gutter runner is recast (or just resurfaced from the cellar), the BB-coin is destroyed bc there has been 1 auction at ebay, 2nd ed. Skaven teams go for 80+US$ and they removed the entire BB archive. So what is that? Does limited means limited anymore? Limited ed. figs are here rare as well and most of these figs are beind traded via the internet, so it doesn't matter on which side of the pond you live.

Sorry, I feel like threadjacking and that was not my intention, I just said that such an action p* off collectors and as Tim pointed out if I had spent 100US$ for that mini I would be quite enraged now and write Andy an angry email. Anyway, have fun at the tourney and it's good that you get support from Fanatic.

Indigo
Not Grumpy in the slightest

Post by Indigo »

to be honest though, it's not Fanatic's problem that this mini goes for $100 on ebay. some people will always be willing to pay that much for it, and let's face it - an extra 30-40 of these figures in the hands of BB collectors is hardly going to cut it's price in half... that's ooh 110 or so on the market now? Still more rare than pretty much anything else out there....

narkotic
Da Collector

Post by narkotic »

You're right, it's not their problem, but they seem to care as Jarvis ordered the BB coins to be destroyed after he saw them appear on ebay.
Anything you label as rare and limited and whose overall distribution is kept low has an significant increase in value, that starts at Block Dices and goes up the ladder to the Spike trophy and res. gutter runner.

The best would have been to keep the archive (in order not to let the fans of this game suffer at ebay) and make limited minis available through fan clubs or the NAF membership. So everyone had a calculated chance to get all the minis and enjoy this game without paying a fortune which not even flows into the purse of Fanatic. If you say now, "hey then those minis stop being limited", that's what actually happening when out of the blue long gone minis appear again from an official source.

P.S. anyway I'm happy for those attending the DB :smoking:

Tim
Da Tulip Champ II

Post by Tim »

I don't think that the mini is being recast ...

If this post is correct, there should be around 300 GRs. Around 100 were given out at resurrection, that's 200 left ... several were given out for BBMag articles, some other tournament prizes (GenCon, e.g.). So it's likely that there are still 100+ in some drawer, so no need to start a recast.

"In NUFFLE we trust!" - Retired Inquisitor of Nuffle.
Father of the Halfling Scribe
Admin of the Kurpfalz Cup
Xtreme
Mr. Zlurpee

Post by Xtreme »

Is there anyway to cofirm how many were made? The only problem I see with it is that the people who went to Resurcition we promised this "Limited" figure if they recast it then it isn't so limited any more. But if these are just left over from the original casting then I have no problem. Just wish I had the money to go to the DB. With or without the Gutter Runner I would love to be there. But hope everyone has fun I'm sure CyberHare will put on a great tourny.

ImageImage
Melifaxis
Legend
Legend

Post by Melifaxis »

Xtreme wrote:Just wish I had the money to go to the DB.
$98 USD Busfare
$69 Canadian Hotel (less if you split a room)
$35 Canadian Tournament Fees (includes 2 lunches)
$100 Canadian Spending Cash
------
<$200 USD

Ressurection Gutterrunner, playing in a fantastic tournament, being the 3rd US player to attend...priceless 8)

Tempted?

NAF Rankings
Commissioner: HBBL & GSBBL (7's)
Tournament Organizer: The Beantown Brouhaha & the Draughthouse Massacre & The Tricorn Cup
NBA Heretic & Proud Beer-Drinker of the NFL
Twist
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Twist »

I highly doubt they were recast for one North American tournament with an attendance expected around 20-40 people. Andy probably had some in his drawer. Their worth won't change a bit, it's unlikely anyone will want to part with theirs.

The Gutter Runner is limited either way you look at it. 99% of us who are attending the DB will NEVER get a chance to go to the BB in Nottingham. Andy is doing us a great service by giving out a few dozen, and Brian is as well, by putting a lot of hard work into organising this event. If the cash value of the Gutter Runner is what is important to you, then I have a hard time feeling bad on your part. Stocks rise and fall. Think of what my comic collection should be worth! :lol: If they are not on the shelves, then they are rare. I'd rather see one on someones team on the pitch than in a glass case on the shelf.

Perhaps further comments on figures should be religated to the miniatures section, as not to rain on the parade of Brian and his tournament, and all of the future attendees. I'd rather be talking about how I'm going to make Mel's Chaos Dwarfs look like pylons! I'll run by you so fast, your hats will spin!!! :lol:

Whats more important is the hobby. My hotel room is booked, my friend's car is getting a tune up, I'm going to get games in, I'm going to meet old friends and make new ones (and hopefully drink a few pints with them), all because of a game I love. What could be better than that? :D

Oh ya, one more thing. YER ALL DEAD MEAT IN MONTREAL!!! :evil: 8)

Twist.

BKBBL
Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

its not the cash value thats the issue its the fact i want one of those minis and if i had known in advance i could have probably gone out to canada and gotten one

and going to the blood bowl has nothing to do with it, we got a skabby badly made coin for going to that

i also have reservations that he refused to give any prize what so ever for the beach bowl tournament

if he has theses spare gutter runners he could send some out all over the place as prizes instead of giving them all out to one tournament

though i never know he might have sent some to ace as a prize at spiky, i hope he did and i will try my best to win one (well i gonna try and win regardless)

i don't begrudge anyone going to the deathbowl for getting one, I just hope they appreciate having one, I would love one for my skaven team, but well sh*t happens

if there were 300 that still leaves quite a lot of them not accounted for, so there is still a chance yet, fingers crossed