Is this normal...?

Post your announcement for your tournament. You many only have ONE thread per a tournament in this area. The dates of your event with the year should be included in the subject header.

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

My tuppence.

The idea that you can buy/borrow tournament points because you can get your hands on a lovely team is absurb (and I do borrow/buy teams).

The idea you'll penalise someone for bringing their own work, that may not be of such a high standard, but does meet reasonable criteria, is ridiculous.

You can't tell someone that they must use their own minis - because its impossible to police.

Have minimum criteria for teams to be painted to a reasonable standard. Have a separate painting prize. Don't include painting in the same scores as game play.

As you can tell I really don't like GenCon's rules.

Reason: ''
Ian 'Double Skulls' Williams
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

ianwilliams wrote:The idea you'll penalise someone for bringing their own work, that may not be of such a high standard, but does meet reasonable criteria, is ridiculous.
Ian .. I'm actually switching to a system from last year where a coach who takes some time with his team will get full points. Heck, I can paint a figure to a full 15 point GenCon standard in 45 minutes.

So the whole point of the change was to give coaches like Xtreme who aren't the world's great painters but he took the time to base and detail his team ... so he gets full points.

One coach gets an extra 5 points for having the best painted team. But 5 points are pretty meaningless when there are 300 points available from game points.

Galak

Xtreme
Mr. Zlurpee

Post by Xtreme »

Exactly why I think the system GenCon will be using is near perfect. But i'm sure their will be others with diffrent opinons but that is mine. I can't imagine a more fair system then this. It judges on certain criteria wither you painted the team or not. If you want to bring a team you didn't paint that's fine you can get perfect paint points and I can't complain, cause all it takes for me to get the same points is for me to sit down and put effort into my team. I may not be the best painter in the world, but I do spend a good amount of time trying, I can't see why either side of this argument would have a problem with this scoring system.

ImageImage
gken1
Legend
Legend

Post by gken1 »

i in no way want a prize for a team i didn't paint. Just wouldn't want to be penalized for not painting it. I'm sure at GenCon the points for a win dwarf the points for painting but at the chaos cup 1 pt was huge and although it was fun the scoring system wasn't the best. After 3 games I was undefeated then played a person with a tie or a loss because he had more painting pts than me. First half he stopped me then 2nd half he never crossed the half way mark (Count Luthor surrounded by two mummies) and played for a tie. If painting pts weren't taking into consideration I probably woulda played another undefeated person.

Ken

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Agree with Ian here, I dislike any points system that can decide my position on my limited (and frankly sh*t painting skills). Don't get me wrong, I like nicely painted figures too, but I can produce them, and I manage to do a good enough job at keeping my score low, without having someone who may be a worse coach than me go ahead of me cos he can paint better.

As DW said, I'd rather painting was used as a tiebreaker after sportsmanship, TD's, cas etc.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Xtreme
Mr. Zlurpee

Post by Xtreme »

As DW said, I'd rather painting was used as a tiebreaker after sportsmanship, TD's, cas etc.
I completely agree. The Chaos Cup is the only tournament I know of that ever added painting points in before the last game. They should be added in with sportsmanship after your final game to help avoid ties.

ImageImage
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Actually, I'd like to see them used after sportsmanship, Td's and Cas, not with.

If someone with the same W/D/L record is placed above me, I'd rather it was because of how they played the games and on-field coaching, than on the fact they weild a paintbrush better than me.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
ORTHODUB
Experienced
Experienced

Post by ORTHODUB »

I do think painting should be at a certain standard (usualy three colours and a painted base works for me) but it should not give points that directly effect games. It should be added to your tourney total at the end, but not effect the games which are the core of the event.
I dont think teams not painted by the owner should be banned as that is stupid, just excluded from winning the painting prize.

gken1
Legend
Legend

Post by gken1 »

i think painting should be for "best painted team only" just give out more than 1 award...maybe 1st through 3rd.