Underworld Cup, Ann Arbor MI USA, 15-16 November 2003

Post your announcement for your tournament. You many only have ONE thread per a tournament in this area. The dates of your event with the year should be included in the subject header.

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

neoliminal
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by neoliminal »

Heh, I was looking over the numbers and you certainly got a ton of painting points and a fair amount of sportsmanship.

Strangely, the first 5 positions would have come out the same with or without the painting and sportsmanship... so no real change there.

Where the numbers really shifted was in the middle of the pack.

I have an idea (given to me by a good friend from Ann Arbor) for next year. It would use Trianary scoring system where you would give your opponent either two thumbs up, one thumb up or no thumbs up for both painting and sportsmanship. These would translate into 2, 1, or 0 points added and would keep the numbers from shifting around quite so much with the higher number of rounds. Have to see what this year would have looked like with such a system in place.

Reason: ''
[b]NAF Founder[/b]
Anthony_TBBF
Da Painta

Post by Anthony_TBBF »

Hrmmm... I like that idea! It would be great for sportsmanship indeed. For painting I still think the criteria based points system is best.

I might steal that points system for the Canadian Open.

The TBBf is back! http://tbbf.obblm.com/
honeycomb kid
Experienced
Experienced

Post by honeycomb kid »

Gah! Tim you're going down next time. 9 pts! I didn't know it was that close.

The Rusted Spikes of Wu.

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

The 'Flings last great hurrah. 3 loses to Undead, Skaven, and Dwarves ... the score of all 3 of those games where 2 to 1, and I came really close to a tie in the Dwarf game on 3 different occassions (1 failed Throw TeamMate 3+ rolls, 1 failed 3+ landing, and a failed 3+ Dodge roll with the Dodge skill to get away for the score ... 3 turns worth of tries to get that 2nd TD ... rolled 2s for all 3 turns ... ah well).

Made a mistake in my game against Neo. All his figures looked identical to me (I could have asked but I thought I understood the system). Made me mistake a Gutter Runner for a Storm Vermin which allowed him to get a blitz (because of the extra 2 MA) on my runaway Halfling in one of the games I lost. (painted base rings John ... :D )

The one thing I was happy about ... faced some of the best coaches in Germany, Canada, and the US and scored 8 TDs with the Flings in 5 games while only allowing my opponents 6 games (including a game 5 against Dwarves after they had 4 skills).

Already got my team picked out for next year .... but I'll talk more about that in 3 weeks.

Galak

Tim
Da Tulip Champ II

Post by Tim »

Just quickly ... still in a meeting :)

Thanks to John, he put together a really good tournament. Although it was smaller in numbers it was certainly on level with the European ones both on fun and professionality.

I met a lot of new nice guys and all the games were very enjoyable for me, esp. the really close ones against Cam and Neil. Sorry for being so lucky again, i was very close to a loss or tie in some games (and i almost had settled with the loss against Neil at halftime, but NUFFLE turned it around for me).

btw, to add to the bragging John kept doing for me all weekend :wink: , with the Euro Cup results in i'm now actually #2 in the ranking and my 5 wins at Underworld will propably make me #1 at my last tournament with Chaos Dwarfs (propably) :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Hope to meet some of you in Europe soon!

"In NUFFLE we trust!" - Retired Inquisitor of Nuffle.
Father of the Halfling Scribe
Admin of the Kurpfalz Cup
Tim
Da Tulip Champ II

Post by Tim »

honeycomb kid wrote:Gah! Tim you're going down next time. 9 pts! I didn't know it was that close.
:wink: It certainly was. We got about the same points on painting and sportsmanship, so that the blowout i scored on Mike and Cam denied you in the last game really made the difference.

Khankill
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Khankill »

Tim wrote: so that the blowout i scored on Mike and Cam denied you in the last game really made the difference.
Yes indeed :) , your early elimination of my Ogre gave you the leg up. Your coach seemed to really intimidate the refs, Throwing 2 lineman out and my coach :o ! Even in defeat it was a very good time, and a pleasure to meet you. It also gave me the idea for my new sig 8) .

The unofficial stepping stone of champions.
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Khankill wrote:It also gave me the idea for my new sig 8) .
I think my new one is going to be ...

I only need a 3+ to win ... 2 ... ARGH!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

tchatter
Super Star
Super Star

Post by tchatter »

Wish I coulda gone... as I am only about 5-6 hours away... :( Oh well, I will plan on attending next year!

Would be interesting to see the rosters that won the tourney...

FUMBBL Coach name: tchatter
Ex-Commish of REBBL
Tojurub
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Tojurub »

I have to give Galak an enormous credit for keeping his calm even after one of his Ogres (the one with dark cape) rolled his 10th Bonehead. I have never seen an Ogre roll so many ones. I think that was the reason why you didn't tie or even win against my dwarves. Hats off to an absolutely great Halfling team.

At the end of the game I was actually wondering if it would't have been better for you to take one Treeman and one Ogre...I mean even if the Treeman would have taken root he would have had more actions in the second half than you Ogre all game long. :o

Anyway...Overall I had an absolute blast playing at a well organized tournament with a great crowd to play and have fun.

Thanks to Tim for the candy and my thanks go also to OMM who made the free beer come true :D (we have to work on the extra re-rolls)

Hope to see you soon at any future tournament (whereever that might be)

Tojurub
(Coach of the passing and dodging Dwarves)

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Tojurub wrote:At the end of the game I was actually wondering if it would't have been better for you to take one Treeman and one Ogre...I mean even if the Treeman would have taken root he would have had more actions in the second half than you Ogre all game long. :o
There is that ... but my experience with Trees is that when even one misses the 1st half I don't have enough of a team to play the 2nd. Given the fact that we finished the 1st half even for CAS, if I had a Treeman and he failed the Take Root ... I'm pretty sure the 2nd half would not have been a nailbiter between us as my Fling struggled on the 3 turns to score that TD to tie it up.

When/If OnPitch Take Root becomes official ... the Iron Chefs and their McMurty's dugout will return to the pitch at the Underworld Cup.

Galak

Twist
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Twist »

This is the first time I've been able to get into TBB, so I'd just like to say thanks to all the guys for a great weekend, on and off the pitch! Hope to see you all at many more tourneys around the world! :wink:

Does Ashleys sell franchises? I want one locally... :lol:

Twist.

BKBBL
http://bkbbl.com/
neoliminal

Post by neoliminal »

Results are entered. Rankings updated.

[b]NAF Founder[/b]
Tim
Da Tulip Champ II

Post by Tim »

tchatter wrote: Would be interesting to see the rosters that won the tourney...
That's no problem:

Doomville Titans, Chaos Dwarfs, TR100

2 BC
6 CD
4 HG
3 RR
1 FF

4th tournament this year with that roster and i'm now 17-1-1 with it :)

You can find pictures of the team under my [www] button.