How do you get people intersted in the game?

Moderator: TFF Mods

noodle
Star Player
Star Player

Post by noodle »

Be enthusiastic. I got moaned at because I was making everyone play Blood Bowl... :D

Get a few people together - do match reports, newspapers. Buy trophies - or make them

At the start, fuel people's competetive start - it helps if they are sports fans - then its in the blood....

Then after 7 years you will have an all time great list, excessive stats, season write ups, team write ups and people thinking you're insane :D

(If you don't believe me look at http://usitweb.shef.ac.uk/~wargamessoc/ ... ystats.xls )

Reason: ''
Melifaxis
Legend
Legend

Post by Melifaxis »

noodle wrote: At the start, fuel people's competetive start - it helps if they are sports fans - then its in the blood...
Tying into their competitive nature is key. Bragging rights are huge, but if everyone puts in a few bucks the winner of the 1st season could walk away with a new team.

Also, don't turn away people without teams the 1st season. I let a guy play with generic plastic army men as his mini's and he painted them different colors (solid base coat only) to reflect their position and then numbered them. He loves the game and is in the process of buying his first real set of mini's for our next season.

Also you can grab cheap plastic human/orc teams on eBay to allow others in the league to use.

NAF Rankings
Commissioner: HBBL & GSBBL (7's)
Tournament Organizer: The Beantown Brouhaha & the Draughthouse Massacre & The Tricorn Cup
NBA Heretic & Proud Beer-Drinker of the NFL
Melifaxis
Legend
Legend

Post by Melifaxis »

One more thing that seems to work...I usually describe it as a mix of kill the guy with the ball, fantasy football, and chess.

This seems to set a realistic expectation for folks up front.

NAF Rankings
Commissioner: HBBL & GSBBL (7's)
Tournament Organizer: The Beantown Brouhaha & the Draughthouse Massacre & The Tricorn Cup
NBA Heretic & Proud Beer-Drinker of the NFL
Weav
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Weav »

Do you know any NFL or NFL-Europe fans that like LOTR? Thats a great way to introduce people into Blood Bowl. I find that the average GW fan that already isn't into BB isn't likely to change. :(

Deathwing
The Voice of Reason

Post by Deathwing »

Mustaf Herod Apyur Poupr wrote:Do you know any NFL or NFL-Europe fans that like LOTR? Thats a great way to introduce people into Blood Bowl. I find that the average GW fan that already isn't into BB isn't likely to change. :(
Does anybody know any NFL-Europe fans..period? :)

"Deathwing treats newcomers like sh*t"
"...the brain dead Mod.."
Weav
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Weav »

Not a London Monarchs fan? Are they even still around? :lol: You get the point, I'm sure. I've added many new players from teh ranks of NFL fans...and the GW people usually don't like it becuase of the low-cheese level. In fact, most of us got involved from D&D, and began playing WFB and Necromunda because of Blood Bowl.

PS-off topic: Warmachine is a great game!!!

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Monarchs are gone.

I used to watch the NFL-E years ago. I've even emailed the NFL-E for info on why happened to the Monarchs, but got no response. Guess they just don't really care, hey :roll:

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Indigo
Not Grumpy in the slightest

Post by Indigo »

I think persistent enthusiasm is the key. However, sometimes you just have to let the current (Mordheim) cycle burn itself out - in my league everyone is now playing 40k for this eye of terror bollocks, so the league has stopped.

however, with this upcoming tournament in Cambridge I've already planted the seeds in their heads and when I showed them pictures of the trophy I actually had some people reserve on the spot.

wear 'em down ;)

noodle
Star Player
Star Player

Post by noodle »

Yup - and it doesn't matter if they're not into American football... 11 a side, violence with a ball is universal :D - hell we evn do it with 15 a side... :D

DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

Mustaf Herod Apyur Poupr wrote:Do you know any NFL or NFL-Europe fans that like LOTR? Thats a great way to introduce people into Blood Bowl. I find that the average GW fan that already isn't into BB isn't likely to change. :(
I don't think that's necessarily true. The American football "pull" isn't that big at all on this side of the pond, where a lot of GW gamers often want something that doesn't require lugging 100+ minis around and having a 6x4 playing area.

Ian 'Double Skulls' Williams
Weav
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Weav »

I supposed I should have preface my statement by saying, "from a yank's point of view..." :roll:

Here in the US, very few people that play Blood Bowl began playing other GW games. Overwhelmingly, the far majority of Blood Bowlers began the GW hobby with Blood Bowl as their first GW game.

Besides, this thread was about suggestions on how to attract new players. I've had a lot of success attracting American football fans. Now many of them also play Warhammer.

Snew
Legend
Legend

Post by Snew »

For me, the big draw of Blood Bowl is the fact that is fun, can be played in a few hours, doesn't take tons of concentration, and doesn't require a mortgage on the house to acquire enough minis to play. That's usually enough to get people to take a look. If you can get them to look long enough, they'll be hooked. That's my theory anyway. I'm having a hard time finding people who don't mock me for playing with little metal men, though.

Have fun!