Pub League Trash Talk

Be it FUMBBL, PBeM, the Cyanide Computer Game, VASSAL or whatever - talk about online play here.

This is also the place for discussing the various tools for managing leagues, teams and so on.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Ghost of Pariah
Legend
Legend

Post by Ghost of Pariah »

I don't think a mandatory retirement is necessary.

What's wrong with this board? Do you all hate skills? Why use them if you don't want to gain them?

Do you know how you deal with a ST4 blitzer in Pub League? You take your blitzer (didn't buy one...well you're dumb.) then you get a couple friends of his and you blitz him. If that doesn't work you foul him.
I didn't think this was that hard to figure out.

Reason: ''
Traitor of the NBA!

I hate you all!
Deathwing
The Voice of Reason

Post by Deathwing »

Pariah wrote:I don't think a mandatory retirement is necessary.

What's wrong with this board? Do you all hate skills? Why use them if you don't want to gain them?

Do you know how you deal with a ST4 blitzer in Pub League? You take your blitzer (didn't buy one...well you're dumb.) then you get a couple friends of his and you blitz him. If that doesn't work you foul him.
I didn't think this was that hard to figure out.
Dude, you're missing the point. There are no deaths in pub leagues. That means they're around forever. A stat decrease ain't gonna hurt too much (unless it happens to be ST). There's no aging either.
ST4 players that don't age and can't be killed? You don't see anything wrong with that?

"Deathwing treats newcomers like sh*t"
"...the brain dead Mod.."
sean newboy
Legend
Legend

Post by sean newboy »

Well as my ST4 thrower has already ploughed his way through your team i suppose we'll have to wait until next season before he can do it again
Well as i could not roll to save anything at all that game, yes we will see. I havent seen that much bad luck in a long time.

Hermit Monk of the RCN
Honourary Member of the NBA!
NAF Member #4329
Vault = putting in a 4 barrel Holley because the spark plugs need gapping.
Ghost of Pariah
Legend
Legend

No I don't really see anything wrong with it. It's kinda what I like about Blood Bowl. I enjoy building my players up.

If they guy with ST 4 bothers you then try taing him out of the game or getting your own ST 4 guy. If you had one too then you could stop him. Or you could always try to block him with an assist.
How do you deal with high ST in normal Blood Bowl? It just seems like a good number of people on this board want to play 100 point teams forever. If it bothers you that other teams have good players then why don't you spend more time earning SPP's and less time trying force them to retire.

Traitor of the NBA!

I hate you all!
Deathwing
The Voice of Reason

Post by Deathwing »

Hey! I have got a ST4 Blitzer. Vesticle's got 2, both with MB, and at least one lineman with Guard. The last guy he played quit in the first-half.
I've got him next round, and I sure as hell will be doing as much damage as possible and won't be quitting come what may. Looks ugly on paper though...
"Just another story...Death or Glory!"

Major League players are unbalancing in Minor Leagues, whatever the sport. They'd be snapped up by the Pros in short order. You wouldn't get Lawrence Taylor and Mark Gastineau playing in some hick team comprised of pissed-up bozos in front of 27 people.

Ah, what the hell, it's only a fun league..

TEAM WUP, YOU'RE GOING DOWN!

Ghost of Pariah
Legend
Legend

L.T didn't play his first football game in the Blue and White. He played little league, high school, college etc. He was good everywhere he went.
Bottom line is that the guy who quit was perfectly able to to get a ST 4 blitzer. He didn't. Why? Because it's not balanced? No, because he sucks. He fouled up. It's only unbalancd if he is incapable of earning what you did through the same effort. What was his record? I'd guess not good if he quit.

Play me. Attack my players. I won't quit. Anthony is knocking out everything that moves on my Pact team. Guess what. I'm gonna let him score, hold the ball and give him some of that back in the second half. Hell, I may even let him have the win if I get a good shot to hurt his gutter runner.

Traitor of the NBA!

I hate you all!
Vesticle
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Vesticle »

Since when is there no aging?

Deathwing
The Voice of Reason

Post by Deathwing »

Is there aging? My bad... :oops:

Vesticle
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Vesticle »

There's also an AG4 catcher in the league who's pretty hard to stop with a bunch of human linemen, but I haven't heard anyone complain about him yet. I played against him just this past game, and I dealt with him. And the ST4 thrower is a bigger threat than a ST4 Blitzer, in my mind, because he's more of a ball carrier, but other teams have gone ahead and dealt with that as well.

David

McDeth
Legend
Legend

Post by McDeth »

Vesticle wrote: And the ST4 thrower is a bigger threat than a ST4 Blitzer, in my mind, because he's more of a ball carrier, but other teams have gone ahead and dealt with that as well.

David
Hope they continue dealing with him as they have done so far, as i'm 4 wins to the good. :P :P

Deathwing
The Voice of Reason

Post by Deathwing »

Vesticle wrote:There's also an AG4 catcher in the league who's pretty hard to stop with a bunch of human linemen, but I haven't heard anyone complain about him yet. I played against him just this past game, and I dealt with him. And the ST4 thrower is a bigger threat than a ST4 Blitzer, in my mind, because he's more of a ball carrier, but other teams have gone ahead and dealt with that as well.

David
Hey David, I'm talking about all stat increases, but ST is the biggie in a player sparse enviroment. What's an AG4 Catcher gonna do? Score on your ass? So what? Same with a ST4 Thrower, sure he'll rack up the TDs, but he ain't got access to those strength skills that make the +1 so nasty.
It's nothing personal. You got lucky with your rolls, fair play and good luck to you. I'd honestly feel the same if it was my team. 2 ST4 Blitzers on a human team is pretty awesome in a normal League, complete with Big Guys, Black Orcs, Trollslayers, Mummies, Saurus etc.
It's very rare that people turn down ST, but in normal BB there are ways and means of dealing with it that just ain't there in a pub environment.
I'm not advocating a mid-season change or anything, and it's really not sour grapes, it's just that I believe stat increases have no place in a pub league because they are simply too unbalancing.

Vesticle
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Vesticle »

Fair enough, what does everyone else think?

Maybe we should limit the pub team to normal skill rolls only, then that would make each team's choice of position players even more important?

I also know that Tim Chatterton is trying to start a Goblin Tribe league, so maybe that'd be something to take into consideration there too. Though I think the rules are a lot different there, though I have no idea what they actually are, where did they come from in the first place, by the way?

David

Ghost of Pariah
Legend
Legend

God, I wish I could be in a league that doesn't change its rules. lol My league hardly changed anything for about 7 years.

Traitor of the NBA!

I hate you all!
Vesticle
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Vesticle »

I thought the kicking rules and the experimental pact teams were your babies, Pariah? ;)

Diesel
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Diesel »

I think the Goobo League rules came from the 2002 Annual.
Tim may not use that league - he may go for a Skaven instead - although I quite like the fluff that goes with the Dwarf league in BB Mag #5...

Never step onto the pitch!
Absolutely Goddamn not!
- Unless you are prepared to go all the way....
---
NUFFLE SUCKS!
Heretic
Nuffle Blasphemers Association
Commisoner of www.TRUBBL.co.uk