Little League starting

Be it FUMBBL, PBeM, the Cyanide Computer Game, VASSAL or whatever - talk about online play here.

This is also the place for discussing the various tools for managing leagues, teams and so on.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Acerak
Rulz Guru

Post by Acerak »

Great comparison and I'd have to agree it makes a lot of sense. Can we then have that added to the LRB please.

No. This is a great example of something that 99% of coaches would never assume. In all the years since 3E has been on the shelf, I've never heard of this argument. And neither has anyone else, from the sound of it.

Adding common-sense measures like this would simply serve to bloat the rulebook. And for whom, exactly? Most coaches can understand this with a quick read. It takes some very creative rigging to arrive at your erroneous conclusion, but that doesn't mean you have to change the rulebook. Glaring errors are one matter. This is another.

-Chet

Reason: ''
BigD
Star Player
Star Player

SPPs and Tournament

Post by BigD »

Chet, agreed. But it was never one I'd actually thought about until Resurrection and then only when it was used against me. We didn't bother checking for clarification as it was legally (technically) valid so didn't argue. Did speak to a couple of other coaches who agreed it was legal etc and didn't see any problem with doing it. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one having done it in a BBPBEM but one of the first to raise it in a forum.

Most people never would use it but think about it. It's a great way to wear a player down and pick up SPPs. I never said it made a fun game. But in saying that one of the games at Amsterdam I was played was the worst ever as I had to play it safe and draw it out. All 8 turns of it for a single TDD. And we have seen similar things with NFL. Kills the game but its perfectly legal.

BigD

Deathwing
The Voice of Reason

Post by Deathwing »

An opponent of mine at Res. chose to push my ball carrier into his own EZ in order to deny me the opportunity to hang it out a turn and leave himself 2 turns to score instead of 1.

"Deathwing treats newcomers like sh*t"
"...the brain dead Mod.."
McDeth
Legend
Legend

Post by McDeth »

^^m^^00^^m^^

McDeth
Legend
Legend

Post by McDeth »

Deathwing wrote:An opponent of mine at Res. chose to push my ball carrier into his own EZ in order to deny me the opportunity to hang it out a turn and leave himself 2 turns to score instead of 1.
That i consider exceptionally good play.

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Re: TDDs and PBBEM etc...

Post by GalakStarscraper »

BigD wrote: The catcher has run into the End Zone and waiting for the handoff/throw. Another player, a blitzer say has the ball is only 3 from the endzone runs up so he's next to the catcher and hands it to him. Should the Blitzer have run the ball in himself as he had the movement? This may happen as the catcher needs another 2 SPPs for his next skillroll. What should he/she do? And would it be considered commish?
I think EVERYONE on the board would agree that this is fine. I've done this many many times myself and by next to I assume you mean NOT in the endzone.

But its an entirely different scenario then the one described in the one scenario you are strategically getting the TD to the right person ... in the other you have SCORED and then try a play which would mean you could not score in order to get 1 more SPP .... in America we BANNED end zone celebrations because they were considered in poor spirit and sportmanship ... this is no different.
I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one having done it in a BBPBEM but one of the first to raise it in a forum.
I've reviewed almost 600 PBeM matches in the last year ... no one has every tried this before in PBeM that I've seen. I've been playing the tabletop version game for 6 years, no one has ever tried to do this before in all my games played there either.
Did speak to a couple of other coaches who agreed it was legal etc and didn't see any problem with doing it.
Not sure who you talked to but in my opinion they were wrong. It was a TD as soon as you walked into the endzone ... the wording is there for failed Dodges, GFIs, and Landing attempts by Halflings. No reasonable commish would agree that what you did was a legal play. If you don't believe us, post it as a question under a differnent forum and see if any experienced coaches agree that the play is legal.

Not busting your chops here. Just flat out in my opinion what you did was an illegal play. Your defending it by saying that someone did it at Resurrection and that other coaches agreed just tells me that this is a complex game and that its easy to make mistakes ... but I already knew that.

Galak

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

McDeth wrote:
Deathwing wrote:An opponent of mine at Res. chose to push my ball carrier into his own EZ in order to deny me the opportunity to hang it out a turn and leave himself 2 turns to score instead of 1.
That i consider exceptionally good play.
Agreed 100%.

Galak

Norse
Da Organiza

Post by Norse »

Agreed, handing off the ball to a player in the end zone in preference to running it in yourself can be a bit risky maybe, but for some players who are shy of SPPs it is a perfectly legitimate tactic (as would be stopping short and going for a quick pass for the completion as well!)..

Never thought of helping my opponents to score so I would get more chance to score back though... that's an evil cunning which I admire with some fear.. :o

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
BigD
Star Player
Star Player

SPPs and Tournament

Post by BigD »

Chet, that wasn't my point at all. I'm saying I'd never come across it until Resurrection and didn't have any reason to say it wasn't a illegal move due to rules etc.

I'll just step back and say 'I won't do it again'. Sorry I brought this up in the first place. I'll accept it shouldn't and won't be done in future on the comparison with NFL etc but I also believe it shows there is intepretation of the rules and I'll accept this forum as clarification on this.

Time to crawl back into my hole again before the next fist flies. I'd still like to be able to see. The black and blue marks are starting to show

BigD

Deathwing
The Voice of Reason

Post by Deathwing »

I wouldn't sweat it big guy. Somebody did it to you, you thought it was legit...these things happen.
Do you want me to paint some bruises on these Bitches? :P

"Deathwing treats newcomers like sh*t"
"...the brain dead Mod.."
McDeth
Legend
Legend

Post by McDeth »

Change of subject:

I assume that each coach gets to play once the others in his conference. If so, is it possible to get the schedule posted if yet decided, as i cant wait to get to see who's coming next for the Slug to put the Hammer down

BigD
Star Player
Star Player

SPPs and Tournament

Post by BigD »

Cheers DW. I'm just going to take it easy me thinks.

BUT Before I go I'll have one last comment. I'm a Kiwi and we play Rugby, thats a real sport without the padding. We don't score on crossing the line but score when we wish to score i.e. placement of the ball if you can get it down. And yes there are times when the ball can't be placed and it isn't a Tri.

Thats my last word

BigD

Spyke
Experienced
Experienced

Re: SPPs and Tournament

Post by Spyke »

BigD wrote:Thats my last word
'Nuff Said.

====
Spyke

Vesticle
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Vesticle »

Spyke or Galak, did you guys ever figure out why the PBEM program uses cards for handicap instead of the handicap table?

David

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

I need clearance from Spyke here on this one ....

Are you planning on using the Handicap table???

Because if we are ... then you need to change to the handicap option in the ini file and draw the cards manually with the add card function after the pre-game stuff is finished.

If we will not use the handicap table then we need a custom handicap table in the ini file to handle this.

Bascially the ini setting need fixed one way or the other.

Galak