Skill for my gutter runner

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

Boss
Experienced
Experienced

Skill for my gutter runner

Post by Boss »

My defensive gutter runner just picked up enough points for his 3rd skill. The first two he got was Nerves of steel and pass block. As you can imagine he's a defensive minded gutter runner (has 2 interceptions in the last 3 games - both saving touchdowns). Anyway - the 3rd skill is a bit tricky as I have about 4 options and I dont know which to choose.

1)
Block - such an obvious choice.

2)
Shadowing - this would make him even more effective as a pass-blocker as he'd just have to get adjacent to the passer or catcher.

3)
Catch - again, this would make him a lot more effective as an intercepter. re-rolling a 5+ is not unrealistic making him even scarier for the opposition.

4)
Sidestep - nifty little skill ... one I usually hate playing against myself.

This rat was my MVP, despite making 5 consecutive 1's trying to catch/pick up the ball. MVP. Go figure.

Our league is coming to an end (starting over with new teams after this season) I've qualified for the semifinals and I will most likely face an orc team in the semifinal. The final if/when I make it that far will be against another orc team. I think.

Reason: ''
los_locos
Veteran
Veteran

Post by los_locos »

If you are lucky and throw a double then take dauntless, else take block or shadowing, block always come in handy, then it will be pretty irritating to get that gutter runner down even with two dices.

Shadowing is also pretty nifty, like you said
I wouldn't take catch because a gutter runner is good enough to make the interception and how many times does that happen in a match, maybe once or twice, so that would be wasting a skill.
Sidestepp is fun but more a skill of a offensive GR!!!!

I hope you can do something with this!!!

Boss
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Boss »

I should have mentioned that. I already did roll the dice ... no doubles. So it's plain old Agility or General skill.

The way I use this rat I do get quite a few chances to intercept - with pass block I've had about 4 or 5 attempts since he gained that skill. Has been effective with 2 important interceptions. Catch would increase the chance of succes greatly. But block helps him stay on his feet. A big dilemma here.

You're probably right about sidestep though. That wont be all that great for this rat.

Thadrin
Moaning Git

Post by Thadrin »

Shadowing (though I'm wondering why NoS happened instead of say - Horns or Dauntless).

I know a bear that you don't know. * ICEPELT IS MY HERO.
Master bleater. * Not in the clique.
Member of the "3 digit" club.
Fronko
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Fronko »

Block is first choice. Useful in any environment and especially against those orcs!

Sidestep comes second. It helps in not being pushed away from the receiver, so he still has to make a dodge. But I would rather rely on block than on sidestep in that case.

Shadowing can do the trick as well (especially against slow orcs), but consider that it will be easy to blitz the runner away from the enemy receiver, esp. without block/sidestep. So it is not my skill of choice.

Catch is not so good, see locos answer.

[img]http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p41/DesTroy1968/nba3-1.gif[/img]

Official wesleytj fan.
Boss
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Boss »

the reason why I chose NoS was that I was looking to make him a good pass-blocker, intercepter ... not to mention receiver when the pressure is on ... he's a nice sidekick for my dump-off thrower ... he's not a blitzer. I already have linerats, blitzers, strip-ballers and a ratogre to do that. Even with horns it would be a 1-dice block at best (without having block myself).

I am leaning towards block. though I still dont understand why Catch is such a bad idea ... it would greatly increase the chance of making a key super play like an interception is.

sean newboy
Legend
Legend

Post by sean newboy »

Block since this will be the last few games u play with this team. I would have picked shadow if u were keeping it after the end of the season.

Hermit Monk of the RCN
Honourary Member of the NBA!
NAF Member #4329
Vault = putting in a 4 barrel Holley because the spark plugs need gapping.
Kamikaze Rudy
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Kamikaze Rudy »

I have 2 Block, Strip Ball, Leap Gutter Runners who are dynomite!!!

You go in, 2 dice down on a ball carrier(preferably non Sure Hands) put the ball on the ground, dodge out, and scoop it up with another GR waiting patiently near by.

If the ball is on the ground, it belongs to me rats

Tim
Da Tulip Champ II

Post by Tim »

If you think about shadowing, what about diving tackle?

I think that would nicely add to the pass block, he could pin *all* catchers within 4 squares of your model (= half the width of the pitch) without even standing in their tacklezone.

Just wait for the pass, use passblock for getting to the nominated catcher and pin him with -1 on the catch and -2 on the dodge out.

Add shadowing as a 4th skill or VLL/additional arms on doubles (+1 Int) and he'll be a real pain in the ass.

Sidestep does not help much for theis player imo, Block is always useful, but not the special bite of the combo above.

DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

As you've already got NoS & Pass Block ( I would agree with Thadrin Dauntless/Horns is much better) I'd be very tempted by Catch. This makes him a very scarey interceptor, and even more valuable on offence.

However you will never regret taking Block. Makes him better on offence and keeps him alive a little bit longer.

Ian 'Double Skulls' Williams
Rogerg1979
Experienced
Experienced

I would go for

Post by Rogerg1979 »

There are only two games left in the season, and retired after that... correct?

Block: Blocks are going to be 2D to Orcs so just push the GR out the way and blitz off. No good.

Shadowing: Again, useless if pushed away.

Catch: Already good at catching, waste of a skill.

Sidestep: Requires the GR to be knocked down to stop being a pain on the dodge, so increases the chance of Orc failing.

I'd personally go for Side step 'cos it REQUIRES the Orc player to knock the GR down to stop him being a pain, with the other skills, 2/3 the dice results stop the GR doing his job, rather than 1/3 with Sidestep (1/6 if the orc doesn't have block).

Best defensive skill out of those 4 if your playing orcs (Combine this with Shadowing, and watch the Orc player scream in fustration!)

Gk.

Heeeyyyy sexy mamma.... Wanna kill all the humans? ;-)
DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

I just saw the bit about the team coming to an end and going up against Orcs.

Definitely take Block. They probably wont pass too much and will kill your GR's if given half a chance.

Ian 'Double Skulls' Williams
coldsteel
Experienced
Experienced

Post by coldsteel »

IMO, Gk's got it figured, Sidestep'll do you the most good and p!$$ your opponents off the most.

Red Orc
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Red Orc »

Leap would be good for an offensive or defensive Gutterrat.
I'm a big fan of the 4AG Leap player. Real annoying and useful.
Block would be nice and safe though.

Marcus
Da Tulip Champ I

Post by Marcus »

I'd take block. NoS and passblock are nice enough without having to develop that side of his game further. Passblockers get blitzed, and gutter runners are often the only player who can blitz a breakaway player; give him block. Think about Foul Appearance on a double.

Marcus - [url=http://www.talkbloodbowl.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=42448#42448]Hall of Famer[/url] - [url=http://www.irwilliams.com/ecbbl/index.php]Edinboro Castle Blood Bowl League[/url]