Looking for good Nurgle resources/advice

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

crimsonsun
Experienced
Experienced

Re: Looking for good Nurgle resources/advice

Post by crimsonsun »

Hi guys sorry I did not keep you updated but sadly I have been under going some serious computer issues, which have caused me to DC from a large No. of matches, as well as now withdrawing from most of my leagues (cutting down from 6 to 1) etc until I can make my system stable, so I think we ended up losing half of our matches of which 4 were DC, drawing most of the rest with only a couple of wins in there... Not great but not much I can do currently. I will post again once I am up and running again, my Nurgle shall return this the promise...

Crimsonsun

Reason: ''
SunDevil
Goblin Fancier

Post by SunDevil »

Lard wrote:I let him go. Its tough love.
Exactly. Now he gets to enjoy his well-earned retirement.

I would have kept him and then seen him killed the next game with a pow/pow, 10, 9 (niggle), 6, regen fail as the blitzer who killed him thunders into the endzone to beat me 1-0 on Turn 8 of overtime.

At least that's how bad niggles are in my mind. Hate 'em. :)

This is Chance from THREE DIE BLOCK - Your Blood Bowl Podcast! Stay off the sidelines!
THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO HELPED MAKE THE SIMYIN A REALITY!!!
Loin
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Loin »

Regeneration roll: "5". Success!

Hello, guys.

How about some fresh blood (me) in this thread? But first, summory of this very interesting topic:

- Beast/4 Warriors/1Pest/5 Rotters/2RR is commonly agreed as the best starting roster
- Beast is discussed in the first 20 pages. You should go either for Stand Firm to mark opponents (don't block!) or Break Tackle to make it mobile (useful as the drive goes on) It's your call.
- http://talkfantasyfootball.org/viewtopi ... &start=390 Page 27, the arrowhead defence layout. Also Oklahoma plan is discussed somewhere on pages 75-79, you can find it easily with the search.
- http://talkfantasyfootball.org/viewtopi ... &start=405 the next page, more layouts

Now, almost whole topic is about 2 main playstyles: Killer (Carnis, Jimmy) vs Stymie (Smeborg). The is also hybryd style.
- http://talkfantasyfootball.org/viewtopi ... &start=915 page 62, Carnis talks about Killer style and how he does it
- http://talkfantasyfootball.org/viewtopi ... start=1260 Carnis presents stats from 6 successful nurgle teams in FUMMBLE. Most use killer build, but there is stymie too.
- http://talkfantasyfootball.org/viewtopi ... &start=930 page 63, Smeborg talks about stymie style, how to play with them and why he uses Pests with Wrestle/Tackle/Fend

That were the highlights of this very interesting thread. Now, let me introduce myself. I play in Russian League (RuBBL, we play in the private league in Cyanide version) and after I got frustrated with AV7, I decided to play the toughest race in the game. You know what's funny? We have a nurgle thread on our forum too, it's not as big, only 5 pages, but there is a similar argument too. One coach insists that nurgle must be killers with clpomb and rotters must foul with DP. The other coach says that if you want to kill, play chaos, they do it better. He plays them as "stone wall" and gives utility skills, although he like MB too.

Now, about my team. Unfortunately, I can't say I play them well. First season was 5-1-4, second was awful with lots of deaths and 3-6-2. The current season is 4-1-2 (1 match was autowin). The two losses came from developed chaos and I absolutely don't know how to play against them. I scored 0 casualties, despite my claws and MB and they just killed everyone and stalled. If I mark his players with rotters, they don't last long. Basically it was a matter of luck, who will CAS more. They did. I know, fend helps, but my team skills so slowly, that players die before I can give them basic skills and then fend. Can you give any advise how to counter such MBPOCLawers?

By the way, this season is very "peacefull": I inflicted only 6 injuries thus far! I can understand Smeborg, who doesn't take killer skills, what's the use if they don't work anyway?

The roster: http://bbm.jcmag.fr/BloodBowlManager.We ... lang=en-US

I like hybrid build, but it gets smashed by killer teams, as I have said. Obviously, I need more Guard, my NW with guard died not so long ago.

That was said before, but I need to repeat it:

1) Nurgles are very expensive and you have to take it into accont
2) The roster is always unever as players die easily despite all that armor and regeneration
3) Nurgles depend heavily on positioning. I have been caught on flank changes countless times and I simply don't have movement or agility to counter it. Warriors are easily marked out of the game, I would give them Break Tackle if it wasn't MV4. The Beast is good and sometimes crucial, but it bloats TV as hell and sometimes fails to do anything useful or is marked forever.
4) The offence is awfull, the warriors can't keep up, so if you can't remove opponent players, you'll have a hard time scoring.

Next opponent is Dwarf with lots of Guard and star runner with str 5, blodge, fend.

As you can see, my STR pest got -AG and now is a fifths warrior. What do you suggest for him? Block, Guard? Or maybe just fire him...

Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Post by Smeborg »

Loin - the Pest will die soon enough anyway, especially if you put him on the line...

I would be inclined to keep him and just give him Block.

All the best.

Smeborg the Fleshless
mattgslater
King of Comedy
Location: Far to the west, across the great desert, in the fabled Land of Comedy

Post by mattgslater »

I think Chaos peak higher and Orcs are better at low TV, but for pure killy power, Nurgle are tops at peak, and for a positioning-oriented strength game, Nurgle are a fun alternative that gets some cute skills Orcs can't have.

What is Nuffle's view? Through a window, two-by-three. He peers through snake eyes.
What is Nuffle's lawn? Inches, squares, and tackle zones: Reddened blades of grass.
What is Nuffle's tree? Risk its trunk, space the branches. Touchdowns are its fruit.
Lunchab1es
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Lunchab1es »

I thought I would share an amusing anecdote concerning the miserable life of the lowly rotter from my gameplay this week. I played 4 games, each of which resulted in a seriously injured rotter.

3 of the injuries were BH/Dead, the final one was -St/-Ag. So from 4 games, 3 rotter deaths and a terribly mangled cut. :o

When rotters go down, they go down hard!

Looking for: 5th ed Human Thrower #2
mattgslater
King of Comedy
Location: Far to the west, across the great desert, in the fabled Land of Comedy

Post by mattgslater »

Yeah, I like to think of Rotter skills and SPP as very transient things.

What is Nuffle's view? Through a window, two-by-three. He peers through snake eyes.
What is Nuffle's lawn? Inches, squares, and tackle zones: Reddened blades of grass.
What is Nuffle's tree? Risk its trunk, space the branches. Touchdowns are its fruit.
Hasdru
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Hasdru »

I've started a Nurgle team, and have a few questions for you guys:
- on Defense, I typically leave 3 Rotters to man up the LoS, meaning that, once the 4 Warriors and the Beast are placed, I can place 3 Pestigors on the pitch (which typuically act as widezones / safety). Is it a sound plan, or should I try to place the Beast on the LoS to get hold more players and free up a place for the 4th Pestigor on the pitch?
- my carrier Pestigor only has Sure Hands so far. I am tempted not to give him Block for his 2nd skill, on the account that most dedicated ball hunters now use Wrestle, which renders Block useless anyway and doesn't prevent the sack. How would you feel about this choice?

Jimmy Fantastic
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Jimmy Fantastic »

Such questions cannot be answered in isolation.
What format do you play and what is your team roster?
These questions need to be answered first before any decent advice can be given.
When my teams have had all 9 positionals I have generally stuck the Beast on the line on defense.
Block is absolutely essential for your Ballcarrier. In fact the ideal ballcarrier only has Block, Dodge and Surehands and the rest + Stats.

Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Post by Smeborg »

Hasdru wrote:I've started a Nurgle team, and have a few questions for you guys:
- on Defense, I typically leave 3 Rotters to man up the LoS, meaning that, once the 4 Warriors and the Beast are placed, I can place 3 Pestigors on the pitch (which typuically act as widezones / safety). Is it a sound plan, or should I try to place the Beast on the LoS to get hold more players and free up a place for the 4th Pestigor on the pitch?
- my carrier Pestigor only has Sure Hands so far. I am tempted not to give him Block for his 2nd skill, on the account that most dedicated ball hunters now use Wrestle, which renders Block useless anyway and doesn't prevent the sack. How would you feel about this choice?
Hi Hasdru, and welcome to the Nurgle mega-thread.

I vary my defensive LoS quite a lot according to circumstance. The most common is probably 2 Warriors and a rookie Pest with no SPPs. Sometimes I put 3 rookie Rotters there. The Beast rarely goes there, but he does sometimes. It depends what I am facing, and on the state of the match. Against a killy team, 3 Rotters on the LoS is asking to get smacked (Decay, no Regen). I do not like to risk skilled Rotters on the defensive LoS.

The idea of taking something other than Block as the second skill on your ball-carrying Pest is sound, if most of your opponents use Wrestle on their ball-hunters. KoReturn or X-Arms are both good. Block, however, is very good against opponents who do not use Wrestle. It also protects the ball-carrier, makes him more useful when blitzing, and more reliable on defense. I used to defer Block, but now routinely take it as second normal skill.

Hope that helps.

Smeborg the Fleshless
Hasdru
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Hasdru »

Thanks to you both.

I'm playing with friends on a Cyanide league (real life making it difficult to meet with any sort of regularity), we don't have set formats, but our leagues tend to last about 20 games before we move to other teams.
After 7 games, my roster currently comprises
- Beast of Nurgle (9 SPP): Stand Firm
- Nurgle Warrior (7 SPP): Block
- Nurgle Warrior (7 SPP): Block
- Nurgle Warrior (6 SPP): Block
- Nurgle Warrior (0 SPP)
- Pestigor (11 SPP): Sure Hands
- Pestigor (6 SPP): Wrestle
- Pestigor (8 SPP): Wrestle
- Pestigor (0 SPP)
- Rotter (12 SPP): Block
- Rotter (5 SPP)
- Rotter (5 SPP, -1AV)
- Rotter (0 SPP)
- Rotter (0 SPP)
2 RR

I've had lucky enough pickup/hand-off rolls to skill up the Pestigors and the Warriors reasonably fast so far; the Beast skilled up yesterday evening :D
It is true that keeping all 4 Warriors out of the LoS on defense usually ends up with 1 of them being somewhat out of the drive for 2 turns while getting back in positions (or more if marked), sticking 2 of them on the LoS will certainly help in this regard!
For the ballcarrier Pest, I was considering Big Hand has a second skill, as the ball routinely ends up on the ground with several tackles zones, or 2 Heads to dodge out when being market by 2+ opponents.

Jimmy Fantastic
Super Star
Super Star

This is the standard defensive set up - all pestigors are protected and so is the best warrior.
I would maybe put the unskilled warrior on the line with that team.
Depending on matchup you can put a few high strength guys on the line but usually just do a normal defensive setup.

Hitonagashi
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Hitonagashi »

Jimmy Fantastic wrote:Image

This is the standard defensive set up - all pestigors are protected and so is the best warrior.
I would maybe put the unskilled warrior on the line with that team.
Depending on matchup you can put a few high strength guys on the line but usually just do a normal defensive setup.

That setup depends on relative teams Jimmy. If you are running a low TV team against a strip ball elf team, you probably don't just want to give up an early TD like that. It's good for avoiding damage though.

Jimmy Fantastic
Super Star
Super Star

Of course, everything is situational, but this is very rarely a bad set up.

mattgslater
King of Comedy

Post by mattgslater »

Yah, I've pretty much gone to three basic defensive concepts (inside, wide, asymmetric), of which bash teams do two, inside and wide.

The D Jimmy put up is the basic inside D, 3 men in a 303 screen, to protect 5 guys in/between the 2-columns. It's okay against any team that isn't gonna try a quick, streaking score, though it's best against slower opponents. If your plan is a 2-1 grind, it's even forgivable against speed teams. You will have about half a dozen guys able to reposition, and with a little speed (like a +MA Pest or something), you can wall off the strong side of the play, though you pretty automatically give up a cage in your half.

Wide D mostly means Ziggurat-variants in my playbook, with one man to protect the wing, and one man to flank him with Guard, but there are others (I've seen elves run a 53035 screen protecting their best guys in a 303 stack). I don't have much experience with developed Nurgle playing wide D, but my Orcs (much more Guard-dependent than any Nurgle team)use the Zig to great effect, sweeping in off the backside to prevent a redirect. Zig works against any opponent, unlike interior D, but is difficult to maintain in really bashy environments, because it's dependent on exposing developed players (or on low TV all around).