Where's the BLOOD (bowl)?

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

BullBear
Star Player
Star Player

Where's the BLOOD (bowl)?

Post by BullBear »

IMO, BB has been taking a few steps in the wrong direction lately. We have here a violent game which rival races compete in, and are encouraged to cause as much mayhem as possible, yet their hands are tied. When describing BB, or looking at the box cover, one gets an idea of chaos ensuing on the pitch, this doesn't happen anymore.

Gone are the fouling possibilities (and the opportunities to gain SPPs from it). Gone are the team wizards. Where are the secret weapons? One would think these would all be in place should greenskins and 'umies take the pitch.

Instead we have these lame rules:

A) Roll AV/Inj for failed GFI????????? You have the same risk of taking a casualty from tripping as you do from being hit in the face by a Black Orc. That's weak. I've run full on into trees (not looking! :oops: ) and have taken what I assume would be more damage than simply tripping, yet I had no risk of dying.

B) Average players only have a 66% chance of PICKING UP THE BALL! Fellas, my parent's dogs have a higher success rate than this, and they are untrained animals without even the benefit of an opposable thumb (or hand), not developed athletes. Again, weak.

I'm starting to see BB as more a comedy of errors than a violent Old World passtime. You can bet the barn if I was a coach my players could pick up a ball!

In all, I'm just saying maybe the BBRC should start looking at rules that don't scale back things to make the teams even out (fouling), but instead ways to boost the teams to create more mayhem/options, and in turn evening them out. Does that make sense?

Reason: ''
Mocaiv
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mocaiv »

Its a game!

sean newboy
Legend
Legend

Post by sean newboy »

A) Roll AV/Inj for failed GFI????????? You have the same risk of taking a casualty from tripping as you do from being hit in the face by a Black Orc. That's weak. I've run full on into trees (not looking! ) and have taken what I assume would be more damage than simply tripping, yet I had no risk of dying.
When u tripped were u wearing an outfit with lethal spikes, where theoretically u could jam a wrist spike into your throat killing yourself?
B) Average players only have a 66% chance of PICKING UP THE BALL! Fellas, my parent's dogs have a higher success rate than this, and they are untrained animals without even the benefit of an opposable thumb (or hand), not developed athletes. Again, weak.
Are said dogs being chased and surrounded by people gleefully trying to kill them? When an elf fails to pick up the ball, its not really that he could not get a grip on the ball but rather he was spending too much effort finding out if he was going to str8en up and get piledriven onto that beastmans horns or worse.

Last point, as was stated earlier, ITS JUST A GAME.

Hermit Monk of the RCN
Honourary Member of the NBA!
NAF Member #4329
Vault = putting in a 4 barrel Holley because the spark plugs need gapping.
Thadrin
Moaning Git

Post by Thadrin »

Returning Punts. Recovering Fumbles.

The obvious picking up the ball/catching the ball from a kick parrallels in American Football. Believe me, recovering Fumbles is a messy business, especially if the refs are slow on the whistle and a pile up develops. Its no fun at the bottom of said pile, doubly so in the pros from what I hear.

And how often do you see Recievers dropping passes or muffing returns? and they're the best of the best!

I know a bear that you don't know. * ICEPELT IS MY HERO.
Master bleater. * Not in the clique.
Member of the "3 digit" club.
BullBear
Star Player
Star Player

Post by BullBear »

Right, but it's a game of a violent sort, and the violence has been toned down. As far as catching passes and recovering fumbles, I'm not talking about that 'cause they take some coordination. But picking up a still ball or possibly dying due to a quick sprint?? C'mon...

I still enjoy the game, but I just feel that if the fouling rules were 'broken' change them to be more even amongst the teams, not regulate it out. Or wizards, change the spell list, or make rolls required to cast or something.

I can't believe I'm gonna say this, but how about bringing back the cards? Before I hear "they don't have the masters!", just make new ones!

CauCauCau
Rookie
Rookie

Post by CauCauCau »

BullBear wrote:
I can't believe I'm gonna say this, but how about bringing back the cards? Before I hear "they don't have the masters!", just make new ones!
It's amazing what half a brain and a professional quality scanner could do :o

^Cau

Redfang
Legend
Legend
Location: With the wife, watching Zara and the Hasslefree chick from behind their bedroom curtain...

Post by Redfang »

About picking up the ball; you must remember that the guy is not standing still, bending over, carefully placing his two (or three, or four...) hands on it, grabbing it and then picking it up.

Instead he is running at full pace, ducking just enough (hopefully) to scoop up the ball with a hand, while still running, and then, running on, he tries to get a grip on it. That's different stuff!

R

Oh, and we always played that failing a GFI leads to an armour roll, and I like it that way, it adds mayhem, and gives you a real risk when GFI.

(Do agree on the lack of violence lately, though)

Ik wou dat ik twee blondjes was,
Dan kon ik samen spelen.

[size=67][url=http://www.talkbloodbowl.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=14334]Bragging[/url][/size]

What keeps me busy nowadays: [url=http://www.bruchius.com/]Fun with violence.[/url]
Tamper Magnitude
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Tamper Magnitude »

With the crowd screaming while the ball is bouncing around crazily on a rutted debris strewn surface, and your wearing armour.....

Should come and play in our league, plenty of mayhem, blood and violence!! Particularly with an old school coach like myself in it :D

veron
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Where's the BLOOD (bowl)?

Post by veron »

BullBear wrote:A) Roll AV/Inj for failed GFI?????????
In 2e you were Seriously Injured right away for a failed GFI, no rolls of any kind. So I think this is a step towards better, not worse.

About picking up the ball. In most of the cases it's true what others were saying, ie. you're in a hurry and have to be careful about your opponents' whereabouts etc. But what about kick-offs for example? All of the opponents are still in their own half, with your own team in front of them, and you still can't pick up the dang ball? Or what about when all of your opponents are knocked down and at least 10 squares away? I think in cases like this picking up the ball is bit too difficult, but hey, it's fun and more exciting so who cares!

About the "it's just a game" comments... Well obviously it's just a game, but what are here for? We can talk about the game and maybe try to make the rules even better, right? I think that's one of the most important aspects about this forum...

franck_le_grand
Veteran
Veteran

Post by franck_le_grand »

bullbear wrote:Right, but it's a game of a violent sort, and the violence has been toned down. As far as catching passes and recovering fumbles, I'm not talking about that 'cause they take some coordination. But picking up a still ball or possibly dying due to a quick sprint?? C'mon...
OK if you want to start drawing paralels with reality it's ok with me (I tend to do it sometimes), but, imagine this:

You are standing in a 20-25 kg armour (don't know your weight system), around you everyone you see is about to get beaten up, or is beating somebody up.
The crowd is going wild. A wizard cast a fireball on one of your teammates. The ref is blowing hard in his wisthle. An opposing player is storming down to get you. You are about to pee in your pants. There's total chaos around you.
And in the middle of all that, you are trying to get the ball in you sweated hands. Just how easy do you think that is???

Try to shout your dog in very loud in the ear, while making it pick up a ball, and return with the results...

Le Grand

Rustycan
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Rustycan »

Not enough violence??!! Im in the 4th turn of my latest game in the REBBL vs a beastman team, and after 4 turns he had 3 guys Ko'd and a BH and a SI -1 AV!!! After 4 tunrs of the first half!!! He is now down to 9 players and has 3 quarters of the game left to go! All of these were due to blocking, we havent encoutered any GFI injuries yet. And the last 8-10 games I have played I have gotten around 2-5 CAS per game. Im not sure how you play but not many of my teams are hitting teams, but even my WE team racks up the CAS. And I for one like the GFI injuries, makes you think about pushing a bit too hard. The only point I agree with you Bullbear is the not getting SPP's for fouling. I feel you should get SPP's for kicking someone in the head when they are lying down (It IS called BLOODbowl)

When I was a kid, my father used to say the two worst things in the world are Ignorance and Apathy,
Well I dont know and I dont care!!
VampyrSoul
Rookie
Rookie

Post by VampyrSoul »

Mocaiv wrote:Its a game!
And what's your point 'DUDE"? Of course it's just a game. But it's what makes it fun. Destroying our enemy, pounding him or her into the ground, then seeing them come back for more the next week!

What you think people watch hockey for the skating? No they watch it for the fights!!!! And that's just a game to!

I am not that mean .... I am just plain evil.
grimfang
Experienced
Experienced

Post by grimfang »

Screw it. .. i vote for forming the ALL CHAINSAW LEAGUE! Ahh... a dream come true!

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

Rustycan wrote:The only point I agree with you Bullbear is the not getting SPP's for fouling. I feel you should get SPP's for kicking someone in the head when they are lying down (It IS called BLOODbowl)
I've always like the red flag idea. If you get SPPs from a foul you are automatically ejected. I've always thought that if you do this you could throw IGMEOY out the window, allow the 2 SPPs for fouling cas, and have ejections only on referre rolls of 6 for the entire game for fouls.

Galak

sean newboy
Legend
Legend

Post by sean newboy »

Sorry galak but that sounds way too simple of an idea. No Harm No Foul, Know Harm Know Foul.

Hermit Monk of the RCN
Honourary Member of the NBA!
NAF Member #4329
Vault = putting in a 4 barrel Holley because the spark plugs need gapping.