Skeleton team - how might this work?

Got some ideas for rules? Maybe a skill change or something completely different!!! Tell us here.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Joemanji
Power Gamer

Skeleton team - how might this work?

Post by Joemanji »

Joemanji wrote:I agree. Replace them with a Skeleton team, as supported by the original fluff.

0-1 Mummy
0-4 Blitz Ras
0-2 Catch-Ras _ 7237 Catch, Dodge, Regen @ 80K
0-2 Thro-Ras _ 5337 Pass, SH, Regen @ 70K
0-16 Skeletons
0-1 Chainsaw _ 5327 Chainsaw, No Hands, SW, Regen
0-1 Bomber _ 5327 Bombadier, No Hands, SW, Regen

If you want them to be a bit more competitive, give them a boosted version of Regen: e.g. Restoration - if this player passes his regen roll, he may be placed back on the pitch prone instead of going in the reserves. Actually ... that's pretty awesome, would make them team really fun. Maybe limit it to certain players on the team. Just something to give them that horror feeling - they just keep coming! Alternatives would be always recovering from KOs on 2+ (less fun but puts the roll off pitch). Or giving them some kind of super-regen but Decay so that if they ever were injured they really took the hit. Or super-regen (2+) but saying any BH counts as a niggle. Or 3+ regen for the more boring but sensible option. I know 3+ target rules are not allowed, but you could round this by simply giving them a skill that offers +1 to Regen rolls. The first idea is the one I really like, the rest are just for discussions sake.

Maybe chuck some NoS on there too?

C'mon, how much fun would this be? It would offer a completely new playing style. A crappy team that just keeps coming at you. :lol:
Ok, so I had this idea in a previous thread, and I think it is a fun solution to the old Khemri problem. A problem which has currently been dealt with by a nerf to Mummies and overpricing the linemen. I'd like to see if we can make this idea work, if only for curiosities sake. :wink: Central to the idea is that the team need not necessarily be tier 1, though if they turn out that way then no probs. Tier 1.5 is probably the aim.

Ok, so the central idea as I see it is making them bounce back. Is there a way to give them that Hammer Horror, walking dead, "they just keep on coming" feeling? This need not necessary be from a new skill, or even be that useful. It should just feel as if it is happening when you play them. IMO this feeling would be different from the current feeling you get when you play regen teams, which is that you just can't effect any attrition on them.

Ok, so taking my Restoration idea as above, I ran the numbers in comparison to an AV9 and AV8 player. For any given knockdown:

AV 9 player = 83% prone, 10% stunned, 4% KO'd, 3% Inj.

AV 8 player = 72% prone, 16% stunned, 7% KO'd, 5% Inj.

Skeleton with "Restoration" = 62% prone, 24% stunned, 10.5% KO'd, 3.5% Inj.

So even still, the Skeleton is grtting squished more than other players. But that huge proportion of stuns (nearly a quarter of all knock downs!) got me thinking. That really is a lot. That is the opposite feeling I'd like them to have. So how about this instead of Restoration:

Relentless (Extraordinary Skill)
A player with this skill can shrug off blows that would stagger a mortal creature. He may ignore any result that would place him Stunned, and simply be placed prone instead.

Reasoning: I think it of the head coach (Liche Priest etc.) using his magics to give the player that little extra impetus, resulting in the Jump Up. This may seem good, but remember it is on a terrible player (the worst in the game?). That is how I see this team working. But it's still only a 3+ if you want to block with them, and only a quarter of the time. So best case scenario, that's worth 38% of Jump Up on an AV8 guy, or 29% of it on an AV9 player. And the skeleton will be placed prone about the same as a player with AV9, whilst still being taken off the pitch twice as often (the same as any other player with AV7). So to sum up, the player gets put in the dugout exactly as often as normal, but just becomes a lot harder to neutralise when he is still on the pitch. I quite like the variable chance of Jump Up, because it gives that little "fear factor" element to following up (before you roll AV), which I think is achieving the feeling I set out to create.

You'd only put this on the Skeletons I think, or at least not the Mummy or Chainsaw. In thinking, I'll leave it off the AG3 players so as to make them a bit more fragile and worth protecting. So:

0-1 Mummy
0-4 Blitz Ras
0-2 Catch-Ras _ 7237 Catch, Dodge, Regen @ 80K
0-2 Thro-Ras _ 5337 Pass, SH, Regen @ 70K
0-16 Skeletons _ 5237 Regen, Relentless @ 40K?
0-1 Chainsaw _ 5327 Chainsaw, No Hands, SW, Regen

The bomber is debatable, I've seen it be too powerful. The chainsaw is interchangable with a second Mummy for me, but I think of him as a bone for Khemri players who want to be able to kill kill kill... I like the 0-1 Mummy option because he feels like the team's Big Guy.

Cheers
Joe

Reason: ''
*This post may have been made without the use of a hat.
Highlander
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Highlander »

I'd love to have a skeleton team that was essentially a dead version of a human team and could throw and catch decently. I like the look of the Hack Enslash mini and would love to have a team done in that style. I may have to borrow your team and use it myself, though I'm not sure about the bomber. I didn't play BB till 3rd edition, is there a precident for the bomber to be there from 2nd edition or did you just like to have one on the team? And what price are rerolls?

I like the Relentless idea, but only on the skeletons. What are you thinking of pricing skeletons with it at?

Highlander
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Highlander »

I see you edited your post while I was typing up my original reply.

I still like the first version of Relentless better, but that's because the additional jump up might be a bit too much. I don't picture skellies as that agile to jump back up, but having more of a slow stagger back to their feet and then continuing to move along. But these are your house rules aren't they so it really is about your vision of how these skeletons should work.

Joemanji
Power Gamer

Post by Joemanji »

Highlander wrote:I may have to borrow your team and use it myself, though I'm not sure about the bomber. I didn't play BB till 3rd edition, is there a precident for the bomber to be there from 2nd edition or did you just like to have one on the team? And what price are rerolls?

I like the Relentless idea, but only on the skeletons. What are you thinking of pricing skeletons with it at?
There was a 2nd edition figure for both a bomber and chainsaw skeleton. I left the bomber off the roster because it seemed a bit effective in MBBL testing, though that was in conjuction with 4 Mummies. :wink:

Re-rolls I have no idea, maybe 60K?
Highlander wrote:I still like the first version of Relentless better, but that's because the additional jump up might be a bit too much. I don't picture skellies as that agile to jump back up, but having more of a slow stagger back to their feet and then continuing to move along. But these are your house rules aren't they so it really is about your vision of how these skeletons should work.
Yeah, it perhaps is a bit overdescribed. Just thinking aloud really here. I suppose you could give the Blitz-Ras Jump Up anyway for the same overall team effect, though there are already 2 blitzer types with that skill (including Slann).

drathul
Experienced
Experienced

Post by drathul »

why not just give them thick skull.
that would have simialr effect (not the same granted) and would not require the addition of a skill just for one team.

Life, one continuous interruption to my sleep

Ian White
tenwit
Star Player
Star Player

Post by tenwit »

drathul wrote:why not just give them thick skull.
What, you mean like the new Khemri? But then they wouldn't be modified-old-Khemri!

Or would they? :?:

:wink:

Sorry, couldn't resist.

drathul
Experienced
Experienced

Post by drathul »

hadn't seen that before.
I've never checked out the MBBL stuff

Ian White
tenwit
Star Player
Star Player

Post by tenwit »

Eye-opening stuff, eh? The Animosity rule is getting some flak on some forums, but mostly I'm reading good things about those teams. Though a MA3 break tackle mummy seems.. :roll: meh.

drathul
Experienced
Experienced

Post by drathul »

I think that would make the mummy somewhat harder to play against.
ATM you can just stick a sacrafical player next to him and he can't move.
this would pretty much stop people from being able to pin mummies.

Ian White
fen
Legend
Legend

Post by fen »

tenwit wrote:Eye-opening stuff, eh? The Animosity rule is getting some flak on some forums, but mostly I'm reading good things about those teams. Though a MA3 break tackle mummy seems.. :roll: meh.
Anyone whinging about the animosity rule needs to go submerge their head in a barrel of icy water for half an hour.

The break tackle mummies are awesome. It totally changes the dynamic of playing against them, it's really difficult to cage up and roll down the pitch when the opposition has 4 guys who can dodge into tackle zones. Once they skill up and get Guard, Mighty Blow, Juggernaut (and maybe Block/Dodge) they become even better.

In the long run the new Khemri team is almost better than the old one, except for the loss of AV on the mummies.

Joemanji
Power Gamer

Post by Joemanji »

drathul wrote:why not just give them thick skull.
that would have simialr effect (not the same granted) and would not require the addition of a skill just for one team.
Because it isn't worth a jelly bean in terms of what it does on the pitch. It is just a "waste" skill to justify raising the price of skeletons to 40K to help "balance" new Khemri. AFAIK. :wink:

plasmoid
Legend
Legend

Post by plasmoid »

Hi all,
Drathul:
>I think that would make the mummy somewhat harder to play against.
>ATM you can just stick a sacrafical player next to him and he can't
>move.
True. Unfortunately your sacraficial player would then get, well, sacrificed!
People tend to lose games when they are outmanned 2:1 on the pitch.

Either way, Galak has reported that the teams win percentage has dropped from 75% to 52% after the change. So it ain't all bad.
(Admittedly, the 52% is based on fewer games than the 75% - but it looks like a step in the right direction).

And just so this isn't turning into a complete thread hijack:
I quite like the ability of "can't get stunned". Very undead to me.
Cheers Joe
Martin

Snew
Legend
Legend

Post by Snew »

Statistics in their purest form would be great but there is no pure form. People will always see what they want to see in them.

Have fun!
tenwit
Star Player
Star Player

Post by tenwit »

Break tackle on mummies/guardians is good, but Mighty Blow is better. With MA3, they're never going to get to where they're most needed, and with a free block, they're going to clean up. It's ogres and kroxigors and other mid-MA high-ST players that most benefit from break tackle.

I think that charging more for khemri skellies that other skellies is a good thing. If they get a slightly-useful skill in exchange for the team-balancing 10k price hike, so much the better.

Joemanji
Power Gamer

Post by Joemanji »

Seems like a fudge to me. I would have liked to have tested them in the MBBL, but some idiot locked my team for no reason. :roll: I have a Mummy in the MBBL2 with Block, Dodge and Break Tackle, and to be honest I try every turn to use it and almost never find anything worthwhile. Maybe it would be different with 4 mummies.