Abstaining from ranking

News and announcements from the worldwide Blood Bowl players' association

Moderator: TFF Mods

Dark Duke
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Abstaining from ranking

Post by Dark Duke »

I don't understand what is the point of keep paying for the membership year after year if the games are going to be recorded on the website anyway; I don't think current gifts are what makes the difference. I thought you had to be an active member to get your games recorded; at least it makes much more sense to me that way.

Going through the participation of different committee members and the different interpretations they made about this topic, I hope there is a review of this issue in the next committee and a clear description of the decision taken is shared with the members.

Reason: ''
Life is short, block fast.
Glowworm

Post by Glowworm »

frogboy wrote:So finally the NAF get some balls...

If I'm reading this right, NAF sanctioned tournaments now exclude anyone who is not a member?

:lol:
is this correct??

Pipey
Rapdog - formally known as Pippy
Location: King John's Tavern, The Square Mile, West Hartlepool

Post by Pipey »

:|

Good change to the sanctioning rules to prevent members choosing to play non ranked events. Not sure why that was ever there in the first place. Thanks for info.

UK Team Challenge IX — 24-25 August 2024

Go to: www.bbuktc.com
sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

Frogboy is not correct, no.

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
rolo
Super Star
Super Star
Location: Paradise Stadium, where the pitch is green and the cheerleaders are pretty.

Post by rolo »

I think we have to consider the difference between personal information and public information.

A coach's name, address, contact info, are absolutely personal information and need to be removed from the database if that coach requests the NAF to do so.

But game results are a public record of NAF-sanctioned games which have taken place. First of all, by definition, two coaches are involved, but more to the point, the results are public, not private.

Imagine if Matt Ryan wanted to pretend that last year's Super Bowl never happened. And that he then demanded that all references to that game be removed, on the grounds that they are his own personal information. That takedown notice would be laughed out of every court, because it's ridiculous and because it's a historical record.

In the end, a game record in the database has references to two coaches, two races, and the final score. That's not really "personal" information and nobody is damaged by the NAF keeping it. I suppose someone could realistically demand that their nickname be changed to "InactiveCoach#nnnn" but not that all records of their previous games be removed.

"It's 2+ and I have a reroll. Chill out. I've got this!"
Twelfman
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Twelfman »

This seems to be getting blown out of proportion.

From what I understand, it just means that I, as a NAF member, can no longer go to a NAF event and demand that my rankings go unrecorded. If you're a NAF member and you go to a NAF event, your results will be recorded. Otherwise in any other circumstance nothing has changed.

Is that right?

frogboy
Legend
Legend

Post by frogboy »

I'm a British Freebooter, will play for any team including Undead (I have my own Apothecary). Good rates.
sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

That's right Twelfman. Where NAF member means has a NAF number.

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
dreamscreator
Star Player
Star Player

Post by dreamscreator »

I think that the option to create a NAF member called "NON NAF" is the best. TD could use it when someone that isn't NAF member is playing the tournament to record the games. I don't think that is so difficult.

Simon will be happy because his games aren't recorded at NAF site and that's it. And the rest of us could have a record all of our games.

Champion: Chimera Cup '17, Coffee Cup '18, Manticore Mug '18, Lucentum Twinbowl '20, Squig Trophy II '20, No me toques los Gnoblars '21
Stunty Cup: Exebowl '14; Bubba Bowl '17; OlletaBowl '20
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

rolo wrote:but not that all records of their previous games be removed.
Pipey wrote:Good change to the sanctioning rules to prevent members choosing to play non ranked events. Not sure why that was ever there in the first place. Thanks for info.
Which is not what this is about.

To put it plainly again.

This is about a NON-MEMBER forcibly having their games ranked (I'd put "non-member" in big flashing neon letters if I could, as people seem to be missing that point).

I will NOT be a NAF member come SAWBBL, therefore I do not want the NAF ranking or recording my games going forward.
This is not about removing my history from the database (removing 300+ games and 15 tournaments), nor is this about me trying to "protect" my rankings (seriously, have you looked at them? What would I be trying to protect?).

If the NAF wants to force current members to be ranked, that is it's prerogative, but I do not believe it has the right to force mine to be ranked when I am not a member of the "club".

If you want me to be a member for life then I demand that you send me the free gift for life.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
RoterSternHochdahl
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by RoterSternHochdahl »

"Chess is two stoic soviet sleeper agents silently conducting 300 possibility calculations per second. Blood bowl is a game where a halfling makes a shepherds pie so you lose all your re rolls." (Thanks to nonumber)
sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

A non member of the naf is someone who has never had a naf number. There has never been a need for a category of someone renouncing their naf number.

NAF Ex-President
NAF Data wrangler
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

And where is that in the the NAF paperwork? Or is that your interpretation? It certainly isn't in any of the NAF documents I have saved going back from 2002.

I pay a yearly fee to be a member. If I don't pay I'm not a member.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Post by spubbbba »

Do many NAF ranked tournaments let you play as a non-member? I thought most of them had a price for members and another £5 higher that included membership.

Though the first Grand Tournament I attended had the same price for everyone, so I didn't join the NAF that time as I didn't like the colour of the dice. But that was when it was in Warhammer World.

My past and current modelling projects showcased on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Some do, so don't. The ARBBL has always had a cheaper ticket price for members, but joining was never complusory.
But then there are issues with forcibly signing people up (Data Protection for one) - you can't force someone to join if they don't want to.
A tournament can insist the your a member to attend.