A mysterious force is loose...

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

frogboy
Legend
Legend

A mysterious force is loose...

Post by frogboy »

"It has come to our attention that a mysterious force is LOOSE..
somewhere in outer space."
"The mysteries of creation are there."
"Up in the sky?"
"Up in the sky."
"The moon and the planets are there.
And new hopes for knowledge and peace are there.
And therefore as we set sail; we ask God's blessing --
on the most hazardous, and dangerous, and greatest adventure
of which man has ever embarked."
GANG STARR - 1998

THATS RIGHT SPORTS FANS...

NEW TEAMS :o

Has there been much interest with the new teams on the Games Workshop Blood Bowl App "My Dugout" ? Savage Orc, Human Nobility, Dwarf Slayer Hold and Skaven: Pestilent Vermin?

Thinking of introducing these to Foul Bowl 3, putting peoples preference to playing ranked games aside for a minute, how do these teams stand up to the competition?

Think it might be cool to bring these in if there is enough interest. The local league in Cardiff ran by MSJavaid is going to trial these in their next season I believe so could be some local support.

Anyone used the teams yet, planning to, love them or hate them?

Please post your thoughts

cheers,
frogboy

Reason: ''
I'm a British Freebooter, will play for any team including Undead (I have my own Apothecary). Good rates.
nighson
Rookie
Rookie

Re: A mysterious force is loose...

Post by nighson »

Most of the discussion was about the Human Nobility teams when they came out and various analysis of how how they seemed over-powered due to starting with block and guard.

Or how the Savage Orcs seemed quite weak due to limited general access.

Or how the Human Nobility and Savage Orc teams seemed to be a Games Workshop version of the Cyanide (or Plasmoid) Daemons of Khorne and Bretonnians teams.

The Slayer Hold and Pestilent Vermin teams mostly focused on how the Dragon slayer was over-powered and the Skaven slayer useless, and on the Vermins how getting four bombers with passing access is crazy but otherwise a balanced team (at least compared to the other three).

But in terms of people having played them? Only a few mentions of people talking about them when they came out or, well, asking if anyone has played with them. If people have been testing them there isn't much here, or on Fumbbl, or on any Facebook community other then general interest every once in a bit.

Maybe people just haven't been saying online about playing them, not like the video game where people could play the new teams at anytime and not have a problem getting a game then talk about them on the games forum (There's always an active 'tweaking' Bretonnians thread somewhere on Cyanides forum somewhere).

In short, you wanna add them? Go ahead, give people more places to play around with them and say how they are.

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

And let's be honest, got more legitimacy than other races we could mention.

On the other hand, I know Andy said on Facebook that they were "just for fun" so people with the basic box sets had other rosters to play, not even experimental, though they "might" be developed later on.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
frogboy
Legend
Legend

Post by frogboy »

Well Foul Bowl is just for fun :)

I wonder if reference to "just for fun" meant for coaches who like a challenge, or in no way consider these teams for tournement play? Or just a get out of jail free card removing responsability to the project.

I remember at Warhammer Fest there was talk about new teams, Snotling Team for example was mentioned, although not sure if just to gauge audiences reaction at the seminar.

We should be encouraging Games Workshop and new players right? Will be interested to see how they get on in Cardiff or anywhere else for that matter, other feedback welcome. Might try get some friendlys in using them, to see how they play.

Thanks for the feedback so far

I'm a British Freebooter, will play for any team including Undead (I have my own Apothecary). Good rates.
JT-Y
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Location: Chorley, where the police tazer blind people rather than look for the actual sword wielding lunatic

Post by JT-Y »

I'd be very interested in hearing feedback based on such use.

When is the next Foul Bowl?
edit: says the man who doesn't read signatures...

"It´s better to enlarge the game than to restrict the players." -- Erick Wujcik
Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend
Location: Atlanta, GA., USA: Recruiting the Walking Dead for the Blood Bowl Zombie Nation

Post by Digger Goreman »

Since you asked: NO

LRB6/Icepelt Edition: Ah!, when Blood Bowl made sense....
"1 in 36, my Nuffled arse!"
frogboy
Legend
Legend

Post by frogboy »

JT-Y wrote:I'd be very interested in hearing feedback based on such use.

When is the next Foul Bowl?
edit: says the man who doesn't read signatures...
Haha :lol:

Yes its a while yet, some time to get more feed back and perhaps play some test games first :D
Digger Goreman wrote:Since you asked: NO
Hu? Care to share some light on that Digger? :)

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

I would like to see the lists made (officially) widely available before they were used in a tournament.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Baxx
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Baxx »

I've been using Savage Orcs extensively this spring and summer:
tmp.JPG
Very fun team to play with, I recommend!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

nighson
Rookie
Rookie

Post by nighson »

Baxx wrote:I've been using Savage Orcs extensively this spring and summer:

Really, How did they perform?

Have any advice on builds or how to play them?

Baxx
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Baxx »

nighson wrote:
Baxx wrote:I've been using Savage Orcs extensively this spring and summer:

Really, How did they perform?

Have any advice on builds or how to play them?
They perform just fine. Build them like normal orcs except no goblins. Troll is optional. Personally I preferred Guard on the Brutes to counter Black Orcs and Chaos Warriors. With the right positioning, you get 2 dice without block as opposed to 1 die with block. Blitzers are better than normal Orc Blitzers. I prefer guard on blitzers too. Line are riskier, but having brutes with guard around helps them maybe get a 2 dice without block. Positioning is important with frenzy and figure out where your 2nd block will be. It also depends which team value you play at. Maybe Savage Orcs will suffer compared to normal Orcs at mid-high TV after key players have more than 1 skill.

Gaixo

Post by Gaixo »

While this is allowed, the sanctioning document does say: "It is recommended that organizers carefully consider this potential inconvenience to participants before deciding to allow such teams in their tournament." Four unofficial teams, assuming people use them, could create a LOT of unranked games. You reach a point at which there's almost no point in seeking sanction, especially if you already have a number of crazy rules in place.

As someone who once traveled 1,000 miles (each way) to play half of his games against unranked teams, I can attest that it can be somewhat frustrating for participants (though I'll admit it was also interesting).

Your prerogative, of course!

frogboy
Legend
Legend

Post by frogboy »

Gaixo wrote:While this is allowed, the sanctioning document does say: "It is recommended that organizers carefully consider this potential inconvenience to participants before deciding to allow such teams in their tournament." Four unofficial teams, assuming people use them, could create a LOT of unranked games. You reach a point at which there's almost no point in seeking sanction, especially if you already have a number of crazy rules in place.

As someone who once traveled 1,000 miles (each way) to play half of his games against unranked teams, I can attest that it can be somewhat frustrating for participant (though I'll admit it was also interesting).

Your prerogative, of course!
Thanks for the feed back Gaxio, its probably right that i don't ask for sanctioning under the circumstances.

I don't think I ever thought it would be a great idea anyway, as I said in the original post "putting our preferences for ranked games aside" I was more interested in adding the teams anyway and gaining valuable feed back from this community about using them.

It's great to have a word from you too, as I believe your representing the NAF views on this subject and not your own personal ones, please correct me if I'm wrong. And I know there has been a lot of, somewhat frustrated talk elsewhere discussing this possibility, so thanks for clearing that up.

But just one thing, not regarding these teams, why do I keep hearing about "crazy rules" when people refer to my tournament? Or others in the South West (UK). What "crazy rules" is it that make people say that? If its the Tie Breaker, its hardly different to any other tournament only the emphasis is on fouls, hence the name Foul Bowl, it's a 1 day 4 game Tournament (which had 40 coaches last time), and we could argue all day about the fairest way to resolve the tie break.
If its the rule set from last time, I have already said that I plan to use the same Team builds as the future Wales Euro Bowl when released next year. So I will say this in the best way i can, please can people stop believing the hype and putting negative comments about tournaments. Thanks

ugrosh
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ugrosh »

i Would like see new races, but not those.

http://Image
PercyTheTroll
Veteran
Veteran

Post by PercyTheTroll »

Couple of thoughts:

1) The main reason to exclude these races is the lack of playtesting. Unlike Khorne and Bretts (who Darkson subtely hinted at) who have thousands (more?) of games on record to give a feel for how balanced they are, these teams are rather new and can't have had the number of games under their belt that you'd want to get a real feel for them.

2) As these rosters are a paid for extra in the app, can you publish them ahead of your tournament without falling foul (see what I did there?) of copyright law? And if you can't publish the rosters is it fair on tournament attendees to have races in the tournament that they can't look up unless they want to pay. I guess this applies to White Dwarf rules and arguably the Deathzones too.