Hailmary Goblin Bombardier

Don't understand a particular rule or just need to clarify something? This is the forum for you. With 2 of the BBRC members and the main LRB5/6 writer present at TFF, you're bound to get as good an answer as possible.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Re: Hailmary Goblin Bombardier

Post by Smeborg »

CyberedElf wrote:Rolling to catch is never optional.
The one instance where rolling to catch is optional is after a failed catch where a re-roll is available. For example, a player with Catch may, I suggest, "decline" his second attempt to catch a Bomb.

Hope that helps.

Reason: ''
Smeborg the Fleshless
Mhorr
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Mhorr »

Steam Ball wrote:I would had say all that too...
A bomb may be intercepted or caught using the same rules for catching the ball, in which case the player catching it must throw it again immediately. This is a special bonus Action that takes place out of the normal sequence of play.
but it says "bonus action". Maybe that is why Mhorr asked? Maybe it should not say action? :-?
Exactly, that "special action" term made me think about their nega-trait.

Chris
Legend
Legend

Post by Chris »

Catch certainly isn't an action, but the throw is?

I would hope so because I would love to see the neg trait roll before throwing :)

Wifflebat
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Wifflebat »

Chris wrote:Catch certainly isn't an action, but the throw is?

I would hope so because I would love to see the neg trait roll before throwing :)
It does say the throw is an Action, but it's also a mandatory one per the rules, so I'm assuming that that means the Bone-head player isn't "declaring" it. Anyone disagree?

(Sorry to resurrect--working on an extensive FAQ for my league, which I'll post here for others to use or debate as they see fit.)

I was Puzzlemonkey, but now I'm Wifflebat. Please forward my mail...
dreamscreator
Star Player
Star Player

Post by dreamscreator »

Throw is an action, so you should roll bonehead, stupid or wild animal before throw the bomb.

In fact, if I am not wrong, if you throw a bomb and you catch it with an own player that already has done his action. He can't throw again the bomb and it explodes.

Champion: Chimera Cup '17, Coffee Cup '18, Manticore Mug '18, Lucentum Twinbowl '20, Squig Trophy II '20, No me toques los Gnoblars '21
Stunty Cup: Exebowl '14; Bubba Bowl '17; OlletaBowl '20
Wifflebat
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Wifflebat »

dreamscreator wrote:Throw is an action, so you should roll bonehead, stupid or wild animal before throw the bomb.

In fact, if I am not wrong, if you throw a bomb and you catch it with an own player that already has done his action. He can't throw again the bomb and it explodes.
Well, I think that part's covered by "This is a special bonus Action that takes place out of the normal sequence of play."

There seems to be a pretty strong consensus in other discussions that the Bone-head roll is not needed; just wondering what the reasoning/ruling is.

I was Puzzlemonkey, but now I'm Wifflebat. Please forward my mail...
dreamscreator
Star Player
Star Player

Post by dreamscreator »

Wifflebat wrote:Well, I think that part's covered by "This is a special bonus Action that takes place out of the normal sequence of play."

There seems to be a pretty strong consensus in other discussions that the Bone-head roll is not needed; just wondering what the reasoning/ruling is.
Mmmh, now I'm not sure. And I play usually with HMP bomber, but I think that never has been catch it by a Big Guy or my own players :lol:

Champion: Chimera Cup '17, Coffee Cup '18, Manticore Mug '18, Lucentum Twinbowl '20, Squig Trophy II '20, No me toques los Gnoblars '21
Stunty Cup: Exebowl '14; Bubba Bowl '17; OlletaBowl '20
Stout Youngblood
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Stout Youngblood »

Wifflebat wrote:
dreamscreator wrote:Throw is an action, so you should roll bonehead, stupid or wild animal before throw the bomb.

Well, I think that part's covered by "This is a special bonus Action that takes place out of the normal sequence of play."

If the Big Guy had already failed their Bonehead roll, then they would not be able to catch the HMP. Otherwise, it is a bonus action OUTSIDE the NORMAL sequence of play Bonehead is not activated as you are not activating this player the same as any other player that the bomb may be tossed to.

Vulpes
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Vulpes »

Steam Ball wrote:
CyberedElf wrote:
Steam Ball wrote:IIRC, if they catch it, they must throw it. If they don't want to throw, just decline catching and enjoy the boom. Probably the rules are so to avoid wasting time with purposeless rolls.
Rolling to catch is never optional.
Well, then why the bombardier rule says "or is declined"?
page 63 wrote:The bomb explodes when it lands in an empty square or an opportunity to catch the bomb fails or is declined (i.e., bombs don’t ‘bounce’).
Using DC to catch in the square next to the player is optional.

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

Steam Ball wrote:I would had say all that too...
A bomb may be intercepted or caught using the same rules for catching the ball, in which case the player catching it must throw it again immediately. This is a special bonus Action that takes place out of the normal sequence of play.
but it says "bonus action". Maybe that is why Mhorr asked? Maybe it should not say action? :-?
probably should not say the word action ... I agree. But it definitely does not need any negatrait rolls to happen.

As for being able to not catch a bomb. I would argue that you can choose to not catch a bomb.

This is based on the text saying you can decline to catch a bomb in the skill. If you HAVE to roll to catch a bomb then you cannot decline to catch it and thus the sentence becomes meaningless and as a general rule ... I really tried to avoid meaningless sentences in the rules.

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
Moraiwe
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Moraiwe »

You did? One day you'll have to explain those sentences under the heading Pass Block. No one I know has found meaning for them.

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Moraiwe wrote:You did? One day you'll have to explain those sentences under the heading Pass Block. No one I know has found meaning for them.
Got a specific that you'd like me to attempt to explain? Not sure what you mean by the above

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
iamcrazyjoe
Rookie
Rookie

Post by iamcrazyjoe »

GalakStarscraper wrote:
Moraiwe wrote:You did? One day you'll have to explain those sentences under the heading Pass Block. No one I know has found meaning for them.
Got a specific that you'd like me to attempt to explain? Not sure what you mean by the above

I think he is saying the Pass Block skill is useless, thus the rules text has no meaning. Not a serious criticism.

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

iamcrazyjoe wrote: I think he is saying the Pass Block skill is useless, thus the rules text has no meaning. Not a serious criticism.
I tried ... that is a tough skill to make good since passing is not a good strategy normally in the game. To make Pass Block valuable ... you need to make passing better and that is a tough game to do on a D6. Not saying it is poorly designed .. but within the limits of the system ... yeah you have Pass Block.

I think if you wanted to make Pass Block valuable ... you make it a reaction skill.

Defensive Read (instead of Pass Block) - GENERAL skill
When the opposing team is about to pass, hand-off or Throw Team-mate a player with this skill not in an opposing tackle zone may move up to 3 spaces anywhere on the field even if his Movement is less than 3. You may not make Leap, Dodge or Go For It rolls during this movement. This movement is not considered an action. This movement is made after the player or square that the ball/team-mate is targeting is selected but before the player with the ball/team-mate rolls for his action.

And the above change to Pass Block would remove sooooooo many rules issues that the current Pass Block creates.

dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Post by dode74 »

GalakStarscraper wrote:To make Pass Block valuable ... you need to make passing better and that is a tough game to do on a D6. Not saying it is poorly designed .. but within the limits of the system ... yeah you have Pass Block.
**cough**

;)