They Think It's All... Ogre?!

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

stashman
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by stashman »

"Oh, throw out the rulebook, this is getting ridiculous!"
Timing: Play at the start of any of your turns, before any of your players takes an Action.
Effect: Set up an Ogre (see the Human team list) in any square that is adjeacent to the sidelines and not in an enemy tackle zone - the Ogre now plays as part of your team. At the end of each turn that the Ogre is on the pitch, roll a D6. On a 1, he switches sides and is now controlled by your opponent! On a 2 or 3, he is forcibly removed from play. Roll again at the end of each of the Ogre's team's turns.
Do the ogre leave at the end of the drive?

Will he keep playing and set up for a new drive with the team that controlls him?

Do you roll EVERY turn or just on the controlling players turn?

Milo Sharp or Jonathan Taylor-Yorke - can you help us out on this Blitzmania card?

Reason: ''
Milo
Super Star
Super Star

Re: They Think It's All... Ogre?!

Post by Milo »

stashman wrote:
"Oh, throw out the rulebook, this is getting ridiculous!"
Timing: Play at the start of any of your turns, before any of your players takes an Action.
Effect: Set up an Ogre (see the Human team list) in any square that is adjeacent to the sidelines and not in an enemy tackle zone - the Ogre now plays as part of your team. At the end of each turn that the Ogre is on the pitch, roll a D6. On a 1, he switches sides and is now controlled by your opponent! On a 2 or 3, he is forcibly removed from play. Roll again at the end of each of the Ogre's team's turns.
Do the ogre leave at the end of the drive?

Will he keep playing and set up for a new drive with the team that controlls him?

Do you roll EVERY turn or just on the controlling players turn?

Milo Sharp or Jonathan Taylor-Yorke - can you help us out on this Blitzmania card?
Here's how I would rule it:

Yes, he leaves at the end of the drive. Since there is nothing in the card to allow you to set him up in future drives, there are no exceptions made to the standard setup rules for him. The basic rules say you can set up as many as 11 players from your team

As for rolling every turn, the answer is in the card itself (emphasis mine): "Roll again at the end of each of the Ogre's team's turns."

Milo

stashman

Post by stashman »

Thanks

iamcrazyjoe
Rookie
Rookie

Post by iamcrazyjoe »

Milo wrote:
stashman wrote:

As for rolling every turn, the answer is in the card itself (emphasis mine): "Roll again at the end of each of the Ogre's team's turns."
Couldn't it just as easily be answered:

As for rolling every turn, the answer is in the card itself (emphasis mine): "At the end of each turn that the Ogre is on the pitch, roll a D6."

iamcrazyjoe
Rookie
Rookie

Post by iamcrazyjoe »

Really the way it is written, it can be read you roll at the end of every turn, but you roll TWICE at the end of the controlling coach's turn :o

Milo
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Milo »

It's not great editing, I agree. I'm taking the more specific "each of the Ogre's team's turns" as the guidance over the more general "end of each turn". But it really should have been clarified one way or the other.

Regarding being part of the team multiple drives, I'm going with the general principle of limiting the power of the card and the principle that if the card doesn't specifically say you can, then you can't.

Milo

iamcrazyjoe
Rookie
Rookie

Post by iamcrazyjoe »

Milo wrote:
Regarding being part of the team multiple drives, I'm going with the general principle of limiting the power of the card and the principle that if the card doesn't specifically say you can, then you can't.
multiple drives? it says he is a part of my team! Until I roll a 2 or 3, I am playing him in multiple GAMES!

faust_33
Star Player
Star Player

Post by faust_33 »

iamcrazyjoe wrote:
Milo wrote:
multiple drives? it says he is a part of my team! Until I roll a 2 or 3, I am playing him in multiple GAMES!
Or you would give your opponent an Ogre for multiple games on a 1.

"Oh, throw out the rulebook, this is getting ridiculous!" Truly!

JT-Y
Location: Chorley, where the police tazer blind people rather than look for the actual sword wielding lunatic

Post by JT-Y »

To clarify a point first, in game design terms a 'turn' is both players take a turn. A 'player turn' is half of a whole turn. If you see what I mean.

You roll for him at the end of the controlling players turn, every turn until he switches sides, is ejected, or the drive ends. If he switches sides, so does the timing of the roll.

He is of course ejected at the end of the drive.

"It´s better to enlarge the game than to restrict the players." -- Erick Wujcik
Lyracian
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Lyracian »

JT-Y wrote:He is of course ejected at the end of the drive.
For me that is the bit that is not clear with this card. I read it that he is part of the team until ejected which would mean he is there for multiple drives (at least until the gam ended).

MacHurto
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MacHurto »

Being ejected at the end of the drive is consistent with similar cards, I think, but should be added to the description. In any case, even if it wasn't, it is unlikely you will start a drive with a player that has 50% chances of leaving you with one less player every turn, unless you have less than 11 players to start with. As he does not enter your roster, it cannot go from one match to another anyway, I'd say

Baxx
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Baxx »

Allthough a lot of the bonus content to new Blood Bowl is fun, it's not always well/clearly written and should be used with caution. Blitzmania was a one-time event and may very well be rushed with inadequate quality control. There's multiple issues with the blitzmania kick-off table also in case where there's a roll-off between players and the result is a tie.

Another truly horrific example is the 23rd Match Event "Whiteout":

The stadium is suddenly blanketed by a thick screen of mist.
Perhaps this is a freak meteorological occurrence, or maybe
magical trickery is involved – or maybe one of the
contraptions in the local Engineers’ Guild has backfired
again…

Any player wishing to move more than five squares during an
action must make a Go For It roll for each additional square. For
example, a player with MA 7 could move up to five spaces
normally, then up to four spaces by Going For It (two remaining
squares of their MA, plus the two Go For It attempts that are
normally allowed). In addition, Long Passes and Long Bombs
may not be attempted, and the Hail Mary Pass skill may not be
used.

Gonna be a nightmare for Elves if this is triggered 1st round against Dwarves.