Help wanted for rules reference

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Wifflebat
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Help wanted for rules reference

Post by Wifflebat »

In the course of collecting up some of the FAQ and errata for my local league, I sort of lost my mind and widened my scope to include some additional issues I had seen come up. Well, one thing led to another, and I ended up creating a 9-page rules reference document that comprises questions from the BB16 FAG/Errata, the LRB6 FAQ, the NAF Clarifications page, and most of the definitively-answered questions or clarifications from the last six or seven years of posts here.

I think it's in more than fine shape for answering any questions for my own league, but I thought I'd throw it up here for others to use, see, or critique:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rtaka6zq23g70 ... e.pdf?dl=0

A bit about my approach:

This is meant to be a reference document, not a rules-learning aid, which I think the other FAQs are more suited to. If you take a look at it, you'll see that it's cross-referenced, so that if you're wondering about whether you can use Shadowing on a Pass Block action, you'll find it by looking up either skill. That obviously makes for a longer document, but my hope is that it'll make it easier to use for a quick look-up of something. Does it work? Are there categories where I forgot to cross-reference something? Categories you think should be added?

As I said, I used the existing FAQ documents as a starting point, rewriting them to be in non-Q-and-A format. Did I mess anything up? Make it less clear? Attribute it badly?

From there, I dug through all of the rules forum posts from the last several years, adding rulings that seemed definitive, attributing them to either "Galak," if he issued a ruling, "Rules", if thing seemed easily solved by a straightforward rules interpretation, or, rarely, "Forum Consensus" or something of the like if I'm not totally sold on why it might be right. Then I added in stuff that I've been asked over the course of teaching the game and playing with newer players over the last several months; stuff that seems to come up even when players know the rules, but just space out on a particular rule or skill. Did I include too much weird stuff? Miss anything that's been overturned? (I worked recent-to-oldest, so I think I caught the rare reversals of position.) I considered providing Forum links to the individual rulings and so on, but the exponential increase in time spent would have been far too great.

I believe everything in this document is right, and I don't think I've put in anything that I think is my own preference or unique interpretation, but there's stuff in there that there might be no "proof" of, like the Bombardier not being allowed to reroll the 4-6 roll to hit adjacent players, and Fan Factor going below Zero. The one bit of editorializing I did was regarding the awarding of MVPs to players who were not eligible to play in a match. I'll leave it in for my league, but maybe others would prefer it to be removed...

And, finally: Did I leave anything out that you think should be in here, or put in anything that you think is so obvious nobody has ever asked it? A lot of items are things I've been asked by newer players and are really basic. Are they too basic?

Proofreading notes and such are also appreciated. This is a first draft, and I haven't checked it over too much yet! (On the same note--please don't share it yet! There is still work to do on it, including fixing the page numbers.)

Reason: ''
I was Puzzlemonkey, but now I'm Wifflebat. Please forward my mail...
sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Re: Help wanted for rules reference

Post by sann0638 »

Great! Look forward to reading it!

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
Saebelsultan
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Saebelsultan »

This is great! I just had a small sneak peak, try to read it later.

"This game is too good not to be played!" - Coach Pauli
Blood Bowl Beginner Kit
Saebelsultan's BB Dugouts
ramchop
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ramchop »

What a fantastic read! Well done.

I don't agree with this one:
"An Apothecary may change a KO'd result to a Stunned result on a player with Ball & Chain, upon which they will remain on the field. (Galak, Forums)"
My search-fu isn't working, can you please point me to the thread? (I don't wish to derail this one)

Wifflebat
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Wifflebat »

ramchop wrote:What a fantastic read! Well done.

I don't agree with this one:
"An Apothecary may change a KO'd result to a Stunned result on a player with Ball & Chain, upon which they will remain on the field. (Galak, Forums)"
My search-fu isn't working, can you please point me to the thread? (I don't wish to derail this one)
This one was not without some substantial discussion. Here's the thread I think is probably the latest word on the subject:

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=37582&view=next

Also, I think this thread is fine for bringing up any potential flaws in the document. I'd prefer if the discussion were based on "rulings" moreso than people's own interpretations of the rules, but, as I suggested, I have no desire to inject my opinions as to what the rules should be--just trying to get them "right," at least as far as what we know to be accurate.

Wifflebat
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Wifflebat »

One bump just to see if anyone who's read this has any commentary or arguments (please note that "I downloaded it and really don't see myself ever caring about it" is a comment that I would welcome—if it's overkill for everybody, that's something I'd be happy to know). I may then unleash it on the Facebook page.

MacHurto
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MacHurto »

"Wants to Retire
• A careful reading of the rules show that the Wants to Retire roll is made at season's end, whereas the "seasons completed" tal- ly is updated upon re-drafting a player. Thus, as the rules are written, a player will not roll to retire until the end of heir third season, at which point the re-hiring premium would cost an ad- ditional 60,000 gold. (Rules)"

Has this been confirmed? It might not be the intention.

Wifflebat
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Wifflebat »

MacHurto wrote:"Wants to Retire
• A careful reading of the rules show that the Wants to Retire roll is made at season's end, whereas the "seasons completed" tal- ly is updated upon re-drafting a player. Thus, as the rules are written, a player will not roll to retire until the end of heir third season, at which point the re-hiring premium would cost an ad- ditional 60,000 gold. (Rules)"

Has this been confirmed? It might not be the intention.
Intention has not been confirmed to my knowledge, but after a... warm discussion here, people seemed unable to disagree that this is how it was written.

faust_33
Star Player
Star Player

Post by faust_33 »

Under the Actions section:
"Once you have declared a Block and rolled any associated dice (Jump Up, Wild Animal) you have a choice about whether to actually do the Block. (NAF Clarifications)"
Under the Blocking section:
"You may only declare a Block if there is an adjacent standing player. (NAF Clarifications)"

For clarity/reference, I would probably include under the Actions section, the requirement of a standing adjacent player is necessary for the block.

Nice document, and I'm learning quite a bit from it. Thanks!

Wifflebat
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Wifflebat »

faust_33 wrote:For clarity/reference, I would probably include under the Actions section, the requirement of a standing adjacent player is necessary for the block.
Thanks; a solid suggestion, and glad you're enjoying it!

rolo
Super Star
Super Star
Location: Paradise Stadium, where the pitch is green and the cheerleaders are pretty.

Post by rolo »

Enjoyed reading it so far. But I have no improvement suggestions to make.

"It's 2+ and I have a reroll. Chill out. I've got this!"