Sponsorships, Rostered Stars and Stadiums

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

iamcrazyjoe
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Sponsorships, Rostered Stars and Stadiums

Post by iamcrazyjoe »

Is the "no Star Players in playoffs" rule meant to be in effect for Rostered Star Players as well?

Reason: ''
MacHurto
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MacHurto »

iamcrazyjoe wrote:Is the "no Star Players in playoffs" rule meant to be in effect for Rostered Star Players as well?
I would say no. They are in the roster and, therefore, are not "external help". If you lose them, you cannot hire them again, though.

JT-Y
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Location: Chorley, where the police tazer blind people rather than look for the actual sword wielding lunatic

Post by JT-Y »

Yeah, when you roster a Star it increases your TV and costs you more through retention fees, which you might not always be able to afford thanks to Expensive Mistakes and/or Spiraling Expenses and normal attrition on players. It's different to gaining them via Inducements before a play-off, semi final, or final.
I'd allow rostered Stars through the net, but it's for Commissioners to decide for their league really.

"It´s better to enlarge the game than to restrict the players." -- Erick Wujcik
MacHurto
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MacHurto »

I just played a Goblin vs Dwarf match. We rolled 5 1s in a row for the "Ankle deep water" stadium and Sweltering Heat, so it had to be a swamp or something like that. Match started with the fans throwing a rock to a troll slayer :-D

In terms of rules, the stadium was not difficult to remember and did not break the game, so that was fine. In terms of fun, it was great to have that combination to joke about how we were playing in the Swampdome (Lowdown Rats stadium) :-D Great to build up stories around the game/league, I have to say.

JT-Y
Location: Chorley, where the police tazer blind people rather than look for the actual sword wielding lunatic

Post by JT-Y »

I'm glad you're enjoying it. It makes all the work worth while, and this book was a lot of work for everyone involved, but mostly for the guys in the studio who had so much to deal with all at once.

Milo
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Milo »

Baxx wrote:Stadium and sponsorships was so difficult to acquire, all rolls failed.

Did get to play on a stadium that awarded both teams with a bribe each half. Wasn't very spectacular, but that should be the dream stadium for dwarves!

My impression is, yes there's alot of fun stadiums, but the probability to get one perfect for your team is low. To also be able to become residents there is almost as low if not lower. And to buy that stadium, well, that would take ages.

Ref was allright. I wanted to keep the WD ref rules, so added Goblin on 6 and Halfling on 8 for the referee table.
These rules are really intended for longer ongoing leagues. Starting 100TV rosters probably won't qualify for some of the good stuff right away (and rostering a SP right off the bat is probably suicidal.) But once you get your TV up to the 8-10 range, it becomes much more likely for you to get sponsorships (as it should be -- by that point you're an established team with a consistent fan base.)

If you run a fixed schedule league, it's easy enough to assign home/away games instead of dice-rolling to see where each game is played. As a house rule, you could let every team roll up a starting stadium -- it would add some flavor to each team without being too unbalancing. (And if everyone is getting it, no great imbalance in letting everyone start resident in a stadium.)

I like your idea about the WD ref rules, though that DOES mean that there are two different sets of Halfling referees, if you count the triplets.

Milo

MacHurto
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MacHurto »

Goblins vs Orcs. We played the Dwarf pitch and rolled Poorly Built Dungeons so we decided it was the Dwarf Dome from the Dwarf Warhammerers. Clearly a pitch that allows secret weapons back into the game would be their style :-)

While it seems really good/OP with goblins, we found it wasn't game breaking either. Getting the weapons more times in the pitch just means more chances of injuring them (as it happened to both the looney and the fanatic). Another good fluff stadium, imho.

Lyracian
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Lyracian »

Our league has not started using Sponsorship yet but I was looking at the Major Sponsor.

McMurty's Burger
A 1/3 chance of extra TRR is nice but the cost of never taking MV/AG upgrades seems far too steep. I struggle to think of a team I would take this on? Maybe after winning the semi-final and then end the deal after the final but that is about it.

Farblast Bombairer
20k a game for a Bombairer is a nice option for teams. My only complain about this is how the rule is presented as it is not clear if you can move the pouch should the player carrying it die or you want to give it to a different player who skilled up. Also it talks about 0-16 Lineman position which leaves Renegates and Underworld with there 0-12 Linemen out in the cold.

Star Insurance
A risk/reward option you may get a pile of gold when players die or just be left with even more debt. It does allow for a quick rebuild by Elf teams who have expensive players but I am not sure I would really want to play the odds on this one? Given a lot of players get sacked for stat loss not death I think I would stick with regular sponsors for the extra ~20k each game.

Steelhelm's Sporting Emporium
This is a wonderful option, if they can get it, for teams that need Double to get the best out of there team. The advantage that you can choice on a per player basis to roll 3 dice or not means you can keep your Star catcher safe from additonal injury while all your linemen try to get those double skills or stat increases. I would happily take a MNG on a Big Guy to have them learn Block or to give a regular lineman Guard.

Baxx
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Baxx »

Lyracian wrote:Our league has not started using Sponsorship yet but I was looking at the Major Sponsor.

McMurty's Burger
A 1/3 chance of extra TRR is nice but the cost of never taking MV/AG upgrades seems far too steep. I struggle to think of a team I would take this on? Maybe after winning the semi-final and then end the deal after the final but that is about it.
Dwarves, Khemri... Maybe after you just had an important MA/AG increase on a key player and don't need more.

Also curious about the Bombardier and if the player dies or is fired. Is the sponsorship in effect lost, or can you select a new player?

JT-Y

Post by JT-Y »

Re the Bombardier; select a player and he remains the bombardier until he dies. Should he die or get fired move the benefit to another player.
Essentially the sponsorship is on the team not the player so the team retains it after a player death, but you don't get to switch it around as you like.

0-12/0-16, same difference.

garion

Post by garion »

edit: message deleted
somehow i posted it in the wrong thead, moved to the other, sorry....

Baxx
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Baxx »

garion wrote::lol: whoops.. totally forgot that those rosters were there.

Well Beast should have M access on singles. Another missed opportunity to fix something gone there. Assassins are still a waste of space, which is another minor chance to fix something gone. The rest are fine really.
All that is Death Zone Season 1, not 2.

Glamdryn
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Glamdryn »

Why would anyone take an Ongoing Sponsorship when they could just go for a One-Time Sponsorship after each match? The timing of the Ongoing Sponsorships means that youd get the benefit the game after you acquire it.

One-Time just seems way better with less risk than multiple Ongoing Sponsorships... am I missing something?

stashman

Post by stashman »

You keep your ongoing. So need risk of losing it

Glamdryn
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Glamdryn »

stashman wrote:You keep your ongoing. So need risk of losing it
Maybe I wasn't clear. Lets for argument sake say that you were guaranteed to get a 20+ for acquiring a sponsorship after every match. One-Time gives you 1d6 immediately with a 1d6 chance that a player will MNG. Ongoing gives you a 1d3 during post match of next match with the same 1d6 chance that a player will MNG. While I understand that you can stack Ongoing Sponsors, is it really a good option for max 30k gold for worst case a player to miss every match? Or is max 60k gold acquired immediately worth it for a missing random player?

I just see the One-Time as a far better option in all respects.

I'd like to hear the argument for Ongoing Sponsors instead of trying for a One-Time every match. I even feel like there was something missing from the rule book as Ongoing just doesn't feel very impressive.