NAF Championship 2017 Prize team

Moderators: lunchmoney, Jimjimjimany, Boneless, deeferdan, TFF Mods

What should I focus on after the full team of 16?

Star Players - Glart, Fezglitch and Hakflem
74%
Display base
19%
Markers, coins and footballs
6%

Total votes: 31

spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Re: NAF Championship 2017 Prize team

Post by spubbbba »

4 more skaven are done, bringing it up to a team of 15, just the rat ogre to go and the main team will be complete. The poll has a strong favouring of the star players so I’ll work on them next. The good thing being that they are already built and undercoated and I can do them 1 at a time, stopping if time runs out. There is still 2 months to go, so I’m hopeful I’ll be able to consider working on the display base too and maybe even the markers.

This lineman uses the torso from a WHFB stormvermin as I only had parts for 6 linemen and wanted 7. His legs from a standard blood bowl model whilst the shoulder pads were made of greenstuff. His arms and head were taken from other linemen too.

The legs of this lineman were also from a WHFB stormvermin with his torso and arms being taken from the standard models. I had to carve a gap in his skirt to make room for a blood bowl sized skaven tail since the stormvermin came with normal sized tails.

I wanted a blitzer who could be team captain instead of the thrower if desired. For him I kept the blitzer torso but swapped in legs from a lineman and repositioned his left arm. He head is from a WHFB stormvermin champion and he uses the tail from a deathrunner.

I had already used parts of a deathrunner for the thrower but this time took another to make the last gutter. I gave him a head from a WHFB clanrat with the knife arm from the standard gutter with a hand from a stormvermin. I also swapped his tail with the thrower.

Reason: ''
My past and current modelling projects showcased on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Post by spubbbba »

I had meant to start work on the rat ogre next, but he was still being converted so I decided to focus on one of the stars.

Glart is a simple conversion using the Warlord Queek model commonly used to represent this star. I wanted him to have some originality so filled in the gap where his back banner would be, chopped down the display base and swapped his hands for clawed weapons from the plastic gutter runners. I liked the idea that his claws were weapons as opposed to a mutation.

For painting I decided to keep him in team colours, the model was already suitably impressive being in a dynamic pose. I gave him black fur as that is associated with elite skaven and added more white edging decoration than you’d find on the normal players.

My past and current modelling projects showcased on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Post by spubbbba »

The Rat Ogre is finished now, meaning the normal team of 16 is pretty much done aside from their bases and numbering.

The Island of Blood rat ogre is commonly used as a blood bowl player, no wonder as he’s a great looking model. I didn’t want my version to just use the standard model, so did add a few extra parts; the face mask from a Storm Fiend, shoulder pad from an Ork Flash Git and knee pad from another blood bowl model. With the normal skaven getting enormous tails I had to use a suitably impressive one from the Dark Eldar Clawed Fiend to make his really stand out as prehensile. Having seen the forgeworld rat ogre I am glad I didn’t wait as I really am not a fan of him.

Painting was done in a similar way to the rest of the team. I started with a darker base coat for his skin as I wanted him to be a little more weathered and tough looking. I also went with a different fur colour, starting with dark brown and adding grey for highlights. The fur was sculpted strangely being large flat patches with the occasionally tuft. So I ended up painting on some more tufts of fur in place of this.

His armour took 2 attempts as the washes went wrong on the first and it ended up looking a bit too dirty, even for skaven.

It is just over a month until the tournament, which means I having to choose how best to prioritise the remaining time. I have started work on Fezglitch, meaning he will get done on time, but I would also like to make a display base.
I’ve already bought some of the bits but it is important that this matches the bases of the players, so I need to hurry up and decide the final look. I’m deciding between making it a sewer with underground flagstones, bare earth with small amounts of plants or astrogranite, possibly adding chunks of warpstone. Some of these will take a lot more work than others and that will be a factor.

I may have to drop Hakflem sadly. Looking at the 3rd edition model I had planned on using he does not fit in with the rest of the team and don’t have time to convert my own. I suspect GW will release a new model for him at some stage and hopefully he’ll look as good as the plastic skaven. I’d probably use the same colour scheme and possibly do the Headsplitter conversion I’ve been working on at the same time.

I could churn out the markers and footballs pretty quickly and may do those once the bases, numbering and display base have been completed.

spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Post by spubbbba »

I have now completed Fezglitch, meaning the players are all done. This will bring it to a total of 15 normal players,1 big guy and 2 stars.

I used the plague priest model rather than a normal censer bearer for him as being a star I thought he should be more impressive. Even so I didn’t want to just use the model as is and so gave him a headswap with the rat ogre from the screaming bell, the bandages over his face represent foul appearance. I also added an extra censer from the same model (that is super fragile and will probably break after 1 game) to make him look even more deadly. Finally I gave him a should pad to appear somewhat like a Blood Bowl player.

The model itself looked quite different from the rest of the team which provided a few challenges when choosing a paint scheme. Most of his clothing was robes and I followed the same convention as the gutter runner cloaks, making it dark brown to match the clothing of the normal players with orange inner lining to match the armour. As he was a plague monk I painted this orange a little dirtier than normal since he’d be even less clean.
I went a different route for his skin as well, adding more grey into the mix than with the other players. The idea was that he’d look unhealthy and diseased but not too much like a zombie. The pustules on his skin were painted brown and then highlighted yellow with a brown wash to make them look disgusting and puss filled.
For the skulls I used grey and white rather than brown and bone for highlights, this makes them look more ancient and matches better with white being the tertiary team colour.
His censers were painted a dirty bronze whilst the silver spikes and banding were also made to look suitably rusty and tarnished. I went for the classic green warpstone cloud coming from his censer. I had been tempted to paint the inner parts lighter and the edges darker, but thought that would look more like green fire than a warpstone cloud.

There are less than 4 weeks until the tournament (tickets still available, just go here for more details) and I’m also expecting to be pretty busy at work. To that end I won’t be painting up any more players and will use the rest of my time to work on the player numbering, bases and display base to make as good a job as I can. Should any time be left over I will use that to work on the markers and footballs.
I have already bought a photo frame, plasticard and foamboard to use as the base. I like the idea of making an underground pitch, with damaged and overgrown flagstones along with the NAF logo. There is also a possibility of turning it into a sewer or adding some extra details from my bitz box such as rats, debris or chunks of warpstone.

sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

Tremendous stuff. Can't wait to see them in the flesh!

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Post by spubbbba »

With just a week to go until the big day I have been devoting a lot of time to finishing the team off.

The display base has taken up more time than pretty much anything, cutting through the plasticard to make the slabs and logo was very time consuming and I went through several blades.

I am debating adding some damage to the logo as well since it is looking a bit too clean for Skaven. But will decide that finally over the weekend and then stick the models to the bases.

sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

Great stuff. I like the clean finish, but no doubt it would look good both ways!

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
frogboy
Legend
Legend

Post by frogboy »

Likey likey

I'm a British Freebooter, will play for any team including Undead (I have my own Apothecary). Good rates.
spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Post by spubbbba »

I added a few scuffs to the logo, but kept it neater than the slabs and armour of the players.
Also used the transfers from the boxed set to name and number all the slots to help match the players up. For some reason they have 2 rat ogre texts but not enough for the gutters and 7th lineman, so added those and the stars by hand.

Have just finished pinning all players to their bases now, so will take a bunch more pics and then start wrapping them up ready to post.

spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Post by spubbbba »

The team is finally complete. I had a bit of a last minute panic when my varnish ran out and I noticed that the converted thrower’s finger had snapped off at some stage whilst I was working on his base. I managed to water down the varnish which did turn it a little cloudy on dark surfaces and required a few touch ups. Luckily some of the leftover deathrunner arms had a pointing finger and I was able to repair the thrower too.

In addition to finishing the bases I also added numbers to all the players aside from the stars. I based these on the transfer sheet but hand painted them. This allowed me to modify them to best fit the area I was using as the team had quite bits of kit I was putting the numbers on. It also allowed me to add a dark border to help the number stand out better.
I added a number to the shoulder pads with metal border and the back plates.

You can see here the stump on the thrower as I did not notice his missing finger until after I had taken all the pics.

I had intended to put these guys nearer the centre of the display base, but I preferred to give that role to the throwers. Sadly this means they end up with the plain grey bases. I am a big fan of the new GW models by and large but one complaint is that the blitzers look too similar to the linemen (most notably with humans). In hindsight maybe I should have made them more central as that would be another way to differentiate them.

It is hard to take a good pic of the gutters due to their running pose. I have to settle for side views which only show half the model.

One good thing about the stars I picked is that they both can play for Underworld as well.

Here is the completed team on the display base. I had planned on using a more natural warm grey for the bases as if they were playing in a dungeon, even adding bits of mould or vegetation. However I had to drop this due to time constraints and am glad I did as the bases shouldn’t take away attention from the models. I also really like the contrast between the cold grey pitch and warm orange and brown of the team colours.
Sadly the display base is too big for my light box so the picture is not the best quality.

Boneless
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Boneless »

outstanding, thank you

UK National Co-ordinator for the NAF
Organiser for the Welsh Open

Follow me on http://www.twtich.tv/Hawca_
Skaffen
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Skaffen »

Great work, thanks for all your effort. I know what it is like to get a team together for a prize.

Better to sit quietly and look the fool than to open your mouth and confirm the fact!