Blood bowl site and unboxing...

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

firebreather
Champion Muppet

Re: Blood bowl site and unboxing...

Post by firebreather »

Apologies if this has already been answered, I couldn't find it, but has the pass template been scaled up along with the pitch?

Reason: ''
Kemimutt
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Kemimutt »

firebreather wrote:Apologies if this has already been answered, I couldn't find it, but has the pass template been scaled up along with the pitch?
Yes. And the pitch is the same number of squares.

JT-Y
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Location: Chorley, where the police tazer blind people rather than look for the actual sword wielding lunatic

Post by JT-Y »

I think it's worth reiterating that whilst the models are bigger than the 3rd ed plastics that they are not huge.

The 3rd ed plastics are quite small now beside 40k and WFB models, but many AoS models are larger again than 40k and WFB models.
The new plastics are in line with 40k size wise. My Orc team contains larger models in the nobz I used as blorcs for instance. And as I have said before the human team is the same scale as Tempestus Scions or WFB Empire soldiers from the most recent range of that army. The bases fool us into thinking the models are larger than they are, which isn't accidental, and the stances make them look more imposing.

Certainly we see bigger models in AoS, they want to do that. But at the same time they are committed to a certain scale in general due to the vast range of space marine miniatures, which is not something they can easily replace and certainly not something that they can leave behind in a scale race.

I think when more people get hold of new models they'll be quite pleased with the scale, and quite able to base them as they choose.

"It´s better to enlarge the game than to restrict the players." -- Erick Wujcik
chigger254
Experienced
Experienced

Post by chigger254 »

JT-Y wrote:I think it's worth reiterating that whilst the models are bigger than the 3rd ed plastics that they are not huge.

And to add to that, a lot of the 3rd party Blood Bowl teams are also on the larger side.

garyt
Rookie
Rookie

Post by garyt »

This is another pre-release review of what is in the box. Very little on the rules other than saying there seems to be very little changes. Looks like good quality stuff in there. Teams include 12 models each with 6 linos each so you wont complete your human and Orc lbitzer, or Black Orc quotas with the players in the box. Holes for a ball in the front of each base is a good idea.
I'm sure they will drag out the release of new team models.
http://www.mengelminiatures.com/2016/11 ... -bowl.html

Jip
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Jip »

I know there's obvious disappointment about the lack of positionals, but players certainly won't have to worry about running out of balls; I count twelve in total on the sprues in the box?! :o

Aspiring to improve on mid-table mediocrity, over in the SAWBBL.

Fancy an actual one-dayer? Check out The Coffee Cup.

Looking at attending your first tournament? Have a read of this.
JT-Y
Location: Chorley, where the police tazer blind people rather than look for the actual sword wielding lunatic

Post by JT-Y »

Oh yes. I think 3 per sprue will be the average.

One message that they heard loud and clear from BB players at head office, even before looking further a field, was that balls are tiny things and easily lost so please put more of the effing things on the sprues thank you!

"It´s better to enlarge the game than to restrict the players." -- Erick Wujcik
Olaf the Stout
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Olaf the Stout »

JT-Y wrote:Oh yes. I think 3 per sprue will be the average.

One message that they heard loud and clear from BB players at head office, even before looking further a field, was that balls are tiny things and easily lost so please put more of the effing things on the sprues thank you!
That's a good move. They'd cost bugger all and could be added in on any spare room on the sprue.

Plus I tend to find at least 1 ball after each tournament I run. So people definitely keep losing them.

On an unrelated note, I don't mind the new Humans and Orc minis, but I do wish that there was a bit more variation on the "give me a hug" pose. All 3 Human Linemen plus the Human Blitzer have that pose, along with some of the Orc Linemen.

The 3rd edition minis may have been fairly static, but at least we got linemen with 3 different poses: left arm up, right arm up and both arms up! :D

fromherashes
Veteran
Veteran

Post by fromherashes »

Olaf the Stout wrote: The 3rd edition minis may have been fairly static, but at least we got linemen with 3 different poses: left arm up, right arm up and both arms up! :D
Not in the boxed set of the game we didn't. This is a massive improvement on the one pose linemen in the last edition.

rolo
Super Star
Super Star
Location: Paradise Stadium, where the pitch is green and the cheerleaders are pretty.

Post by rolo »

One thing that I really liked about the original 3rd ed box is that it was extremely easy to tell the different positions apart. Blitzers, Black Orcs, Catchers, Throwers, there was never even a chance to get them confused. Even if you'd never seen the models before, but you knew the roster, if you got the 3rd ed humans, you'd instantly know which is which.

The new Orcs seem to have a bit of a problem differentiating between linemen, black orcs, and blitzers. I can't immediately tell which model is which. (This is a bit of a recurring problem with many Orc teams, but at one point GW had set the gold standard for recognizability).

"It's 2+ and I have a reroll. Chill out. I've got this!"
malcbutch
Rookie
Rookie

Post by malcbutch »

Seems it will be available for pre order on 12th november!!!

Still not sure if i will get it....but it is another orc team....

Stunty cup winner Welsh open 2018
rakkzul
Experienced
Experienced

Post by rakkzul »

Jip wrote:
JT-Y wrote:Jesus Christ this is getting tedious.
I'm a psychologist and new to Blood Bowl, but conversations like this are really interesting to observe. It's like there are several Godwin's Laws that exist in the community when discussing the game. The most obvious one I've seen so far is tournament threads almost always descending into arguments about bonus points, but I'm sure there are others.
Waldorf28 wrote:Now that the innovation and change is coming from a different source, the IP owner, people's reactions are being very much coloured by their attitude towards GW. There's a hardcore who don't consider this to be GWs game at all any more... the "we kept the dream alive" brigade. Since we've been habituated to strongly critique any changes to the CRP, some players are applying the Cyanide logic to GW.
With regards to the new edition, I think some people just struggle with the concept of ownership; "I play the game, so it's mine."; makes for interesting reading.

Aaaaaanyways, to make this post remotely relevant, I clocked something on twitter this afternoon saying "#bloodbowl prerelease: Nov 12. Official release: Nov 19. Price will be around 65€. No rule changes" and asked what the source was, "a friend of mine is a gw employee".

Am I the only person who doesn't have a friend that works at Games Workshop?! :cry:
You read it here first.
https://www.facebook.com/21972011172710 ... =3&theater

lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

rakkzul wrote: You read it here first.
https://www.facebook.com/21972011172710 ... =3&theater
I guarantee I didn't.

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

JT-Y wrote:30mm bases are the perfect solution. Now all we need to do is figure out how to get them into every box GW sells and we're sorted.
:wink: ... the company I hired to make them is UK based ... so it was right in their backyard JT. Just saying (very tongue in cheek).

However ... at least you don't have the best designer doing anything other than saying "happy with what is happening" and trust me ... if I was not ... I'd say so.

So for all those ... "this is our game ... etc." since I see that being discussed in the last few posts. I honestly believe GW needs to be given the opportunity to shine on this. Andy Hoare actually really cares about the game AND more importantly its history. All the past errors I've seen GW make were done by forgetting what BB is and was or looking at some accounting bottom line. Andy is not that. Hell ... just the fact he is regularly willing to come into the Blood Bowl Community FB page shows that he is NOT standard GW issue. So don't treat Andy like GW standard issue. Is there a risk that some day some stupid corporate twit will make Andy do bad things like what happened with JJ ... yeah sure ... but let's all wait until that happens.

Bottom line ... I'm happy and I didn't think I would be. I have 3000 hours of life involved in the creating the CRP. I created the source files, sourced the imagery, co-wrote the backstory and Did you Knows and talked daily with the players over 3 years of playtesting. There are days when I wish I could see my name in the credits that GW corporate lawyer ripped out but regardless ... its still mentally my baby. And I can say without hesitation right now ... I feel the baby is in good hands.

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
Olaf the Stout
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Olaf the Stout »

fromherashes wrote:
Olaf the Stout wrote: The 3rd edition minis may have been fairly static, but at least we got linemen with 3 different poses: left arm up, right arm up and both arms up! :D
Not in the boxed set of the game we didn't. This is a massive improvement on the one pose linemen in the last edition.
True. However, I feel like GW missed an opportunity with their choice of sculpts for the Orc and Human teams (but mainly the Orc team).

Your average Orc team will have 4 Blitzers (1 sculpt), 4 Black Orcs (1 sculpt), 1 Troll, 1-2 Throwers (1 sculpt), 1 Goblin, 1-2 Lineorcs (3 sculpts).

So most teams will have 8 players with the same sculpt repeated 4 times and then 2 Linemen (with unique sculpts) and a third unique Lineman sculpt that probably won't even see time on the pitch.

Really, the smart thing would have been to have 2 Blitzer sculpts, 2 Black Orc sculpts and 1 Lineman sculpt. Same number of unique sculpts, yet more make it on the field.