Lessons Learned from Previous World Cups

All discusions for the upcoming NAF BB World Cup should be discussed here

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

Mike_Rushby
Experienced
Experienced

Lessons Learned from Previous World Cups

Post by Mike_Rushby »

Community - have there been any "lessons learned" documents assembled after any of the previous world cups? With the current bid process just about underway then this would be incredibly valuable information for WC-IV.

I'm not talking about individual praises, gripes or niggles.

I'm talking about:
The things that people did which made it easy or hard to plan and run the event.
Strategies which either did or did not perform as expected.
Contingency plans which were or were not needed, and how likely it is that they could have been needed in retrospect.
Problems which arose during the event that were unforseen.
Things which in hindsight were either vital or regrettable.

I'm sure anybody putting together a bid would appreciate the experience of any of the previous organising committees.

Thank you in advance for helping to make WC-IV better! :P

Reason: ''
sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Re: Lessons Learned from Previous World Cups

Post by sann0638 »

From my point of view:
- a very fast printer
- wireless, and the option for a bank of computers to be plugged in for data entry, and people to do that data entry
- a large screen
- a sound system that can be easily heard by everyone
- checking rosters beforehand
- a frequently updated website before the event
- the app was brilliant, in that people could quickly find out where they were playing
- using the app to communicate with people about e.g. bus times would have been good
- a central way of communicating where gatherings were happening in the evening

Will do as a starting point...

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
Magictobe
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Magictobe »

Is the app still available for reference?

nazgob
Legend
Legend

Post by nazgob »

The app and freely available wi-fi

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Glowworm

Post by Glowworm »

Bigger bar may be nice.....

....just sayin' 8)

( disclaimer just for Sann: this is a lighthearted personal view and is not intended to discredit the last WC, in fact Id be very happy to go back to Lucca for the next one...)

Vanguard
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Vanguard »

Breakdown of visitors by country for Lucca would be good. I know there's probably team info on the World Cup thread, but there were plenty of families along too. An idea of total attendance would be useful.
Assume there was no post-event survey of coaches carried out as I didn't see one. Would it be too late for the NAF to organise something now? Could be very useful for those pitching for 2019 and those judging the pitches.

rolo
Super Star
Super Star
Location: Paradise Stadium, where the pitch is green and the cheerleaders are pretty.

Post by rolo »

Vanguard wrote:Breakdown of visitors by country for Lucca would be good. I know there's probably team info on the World Cup thread, but there were plenty of families along too. An idea of total attendance would be useful.
Assume there was no post-event survey of coaches carried out as I didn't see one. Would it be too late for the NAF to organise something now? Could be very useful for those pitching for 2019 and those judging the pitches.
I'm not sure if it would be possible to get an accurate count short of interviewing coaches and asking if they brought a guest.

Just among the coaches I know, I'd say about one in ten brought a guest (Spouse or kids or whatever). But obviously this could be way, way off.

Stuff I would have wanted (and it feels nitpicky to even make this list after an event as well-run as Lucca):
- A live display of the standings on a big screen somewhere, and table assignments, on a big monitor somewhere. Sann did a pretty good job of publishing the results on the NAF site, but that could be automated. And updated as each result comes in. Maybe with a green arrow up for teams who have moved up in the standings, and a red down arrow if they fall ...
- Loudspeakers that work in the entire hall. Toward the back of the room, where I tended to be playing, I could hear that things were being said, but couldn't actually understand the words.
- This is probably difficult with an already tight time plan, but one thing I regret is not spending more time just walking around, socializing, and checking out the vendors and displays. More time between games would help with that (but make an already long day even longer).

But honestly, Lucca was damn close to perfect. I'll be happy if the next one in 2019 comes close.

"It's 2+ and I have a reroll. Chill out. I've got this!"
Vanguard
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Vanguard »

rolo wrote:
Vanguard wrote:Breakdown of visitors by country for Lucca would be good. I know there's probably team info on the World Cup thread, but there were plenty of families along too. An idea of total attendance would be useful.
I'm not sure if it would be possible to get an accurate count short of interviewing coaches and asking if they brought a guest.

But honestly, Lucca was damn close to perfect. I'll be happy if the next one in 2019 comes close.
Yes, I was thinking about an online survey emailed to the Team Captains/Everyone to get general feedback on the event. Totally agree that Lucca was incredibly well run, but capturing centralised feedback after the WC and EuroBowl could prove beneficial to the NAF. (I know the NAF doesn't run the EuroBowl, but that doesn't mean they couldn't survey attendees)

sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

Nice idea, but not sure we would get more info than from this kind of thing?

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
Vanguard
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Vanguard »

sann0638 wrote:Nice idea, but not sure we would get more info than from this kind of thing?
What kind of thing? Is there something missing or did you just mean this thread? :?:

RoterSternHochdahl
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by RoterSternHochdahl »

Vanguard wrote:
sann0638 wrote:Nice idea, but not sure we would get more info than from this kind of thing?
What kind of thing? Is there something missing or did you just mean this thread? :?:
yup :)

"Chess is two stoic soviet sleeper agents silently conducting 300 possibility calculations per second. Blood bowl is a game where a halfling makes a shepherds pie so you lose all your re rolls." (Thanks to nonumber)
Milo
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Milo »

Anything else anyone wants to add to this, to help the 2019 organizing committee?

Milo

dreamscreator
Star Player
Star Player

Post by dreamscreator »

Lucca was my first WC and it was amazing. The only thing I think could be better were a venue close to the centre of the town and more range of accommodation. Lucca isn't big so it wasn't easy find something cheap and close to the town (my wife and my stayed in a AirBnB bit far from everywhere. Could be amazing if for the next WC are more range of accommodation where we can choose the best match for us.

As more people said. The app was very useful, WiFi and could be great a space to stay between games if you finish early.

Champion: Chimera Cup '17, Coffee Cup '18, Manticore Mug '18, Lucentum Twinbowl '20, Squig Trophy II '20, No me toques los Gnoblars '21
Stunty Cup: Exebowl '14; Bubba Bowl '17; OlletaBowl '20
Milo
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Milo »

dreamscreator wrote:As more people said. The app was very useful, WiFi and could be great a space to stay between games if you finish early.
For someone who wasn't personally at Lucca, can you explain more about the "app" and what features were most useful for it?

Milo

dreamscreator
Star Player
Star Player

Post by dreamscreator »

Milo wrote:For someone who wasn't personally at Lucca, can you explain more about the "app" and what features were most useful for it?
The app is still available: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... .bloodbowl

I think the most useful was that you could check against who were you playing and in which table. That avoid lot of time going to see the prints with all the draft. An improvement would be add a search option to this part.

I liked too the option of see the opponents rosters and the rankings.

Champion: Chimera Cup '17, Coffee Cup '18, Manticore Mug '18, Lucentum Twinbowl '20, Squig Trophy II '20, No me toques los Gnoblars '21
Stunty Cup: Exebowl '14; Bubba Bowl '17; OlletaBowl '20