NAF Championship 2016 1st Prize

Moderators: lunchmoney, Jimjimjimany, Boneless, deeferdan, TFF Mods

mubo
Star Player
Star Player

Re: NAF Championship 2016 1st Prize

Post by mubo »

Nice work!

The lizard team you pictured is also one of Nippy's! One of my favourites too.

Reason: ''
Glicko guy.
Team England committee member
spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Post by spubbbba »

The catchers are done now as well.

As I have stated before a key consideration is always that the positonals are easy to differentiate but the players still gel as a team. Since they are only ST2 and AV7 I was keen to ensure they would look weaker and more fragile than the linemen. Their AG4 was already represented by the more dynamic poses.

For low AV7 players the only bits of metal armour they wear is a single shoulder pad and the forearm guards. These got the same yellow edging as the armour the linemen wore, I didn’t add chips to the forearm guards as these were highly patterned so didn’t suit it.
For their skin I used the same base green but added more yellow for the highlights and used lighter brown washes and added a yellow glaze on top of the green. This made their skin a lighter and warmer shade of green whilst still being close to the linemen.

Yellow was the colour associated with catchers and the secondary colour of the team, so as well as the yellow loin cloth I also painted the chest banding yellow rather than making it brown to represent leather.

The combination of the models themselves being slimmer, their lighter armour, position and colouring should make it clear that these are catchers. Whilst them having the same head style and team strip will match them to the linemen.
Even with a full squad of 11 players on the pitch it should be easy to tell the linemen from the catchers as this side by side comparison shows.

I’ve had an idea on how to do the lily pads that is so simple I am embarrassed I didn’t think of it before. The plan was to have 1 large pad in the centre for the logo with the Krox and stars on it and lots of differently sized pads for the rest of the team. My original thinking was to have some larger pads that several models would be in with the rest on individual ones. These individual pads were going to have the base would cut out the centre of the pad, the trouble being that this would look bland on the pitch being simply painted green with no other decoration.
However if I make the base itself a lily pad then it would look better on the pitch and as good on the display base. Below is a very quick mock up using a 2nd base to make the rim, I would need to fill it out with greenstuff for it to look more organic. One thought was to make the rim entirely from greenstuff, but this being bashed off when inserting and removing the players from the display base.

As an added advantage I won’t need to cut any players off their bases and risk damaging them using this method.
I’d also add lots of smaller pads without rims to the display base to make it less uniform.

My past and current modelling projects showcased on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Post by spubbbba »

The blitzers are all completed now, so that's the basic team of 16 done with 2 and a half months still to go.

I painted these guys slightly darker to help distinguish them from the other positions. As they wear more armour than the other players they also have more blitzer red on them too. I painted the warty bumps black as to add further darkness to them since I think bashing positonals should be darker than lighter ones. All their armour had plenty of chips in it since they are in the thick of the fighting.
I did still keep the white bellies, but theirs are muscular rather than tubby like the linemen.

The final pic shows all 3 positionals and their differences.

When I blogged on Fumbbl about the idea for lily pad bases, some were not too keen on them. They may have a point and it risks the team being too cartoony. I may go back to the swampy look but it end up being mostly water with the players stood on small islands, something like the pic below.

My past and current modelling projects showcased on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
rolo
Super Star
Super Star
Location: Paradise Stadium, where the pitch is green and the cheerleaders are pretty.

Post by rolo »

wow, those came out looking really great!

"It's 2+ and I have a reroll. Chill out. I've got this!"
Pedda
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Pedda »

rolo wrote:wow, those came out looking really great!
I agree!
Could you maybe do a step by step guide for the bases?

spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Post by spubbbba »

Pedda wrote:
rolo wrote:wow, those came out looking really great!
I agree!
Could you maybe do a step by step guide for the bases?
Thanks, but that base isn't mine. I will be trying to recreate something like that though.

You can see a tutorial for that exact base here

spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Post by spubbbba »

The first of the star players have been completed, Quetzal Leap.

Initially I was planning on using this model as Lottabottol, with the blitzers being made from bloodletters it made sense to use a hero version of then for the star blitzer. With the catchers being made from Kroot I had bought a kroot shaper for their star. But the shaper was a really dull model, with a less interesting pose than I could make using the plastic mundane kroot.

The decision was crystallised for me when I bought the cannon of khorne to use the crew for more varied blitzer poses. It came with a plastic herald that could be easily posed and had plenty of armour. With a bit of repositioning and greenstuff filling I could model him to be crouched on the ground ready to spring forward, more in keeping with a blitzer role.

This herald did need quite a lot of work to convert him, it was mostly removing all the khornate details in particular lots of skulls. But the majority of my time was spent filling gaps and all the air bubbles (got to love finecast). A head and handswap were simple enough using a hand from a plastic orc thrower with added claws and the head from a genestealer with the same eyes as the rest of the team.

Compared to the catchers he is quite a bit larger but that is not such a bad thing as I think stars should stand out. His skin colouring does match them and as he had leap in his name it seems appropriate to model him leaping.

With him done I have slightly over 2 months to complete the Krox, Lottabottol and the display base so am making very good time.

sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

Love him. I will be trying to win this team :D

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
Garrick
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Garrick »

sann0638 wrote:Love him. I will be trying to win this team :D
I am only there for the beer ;)

Great models!

The artist formerly known as Dipso Gnome.

RoterSternHochdahl
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by RoterSternHochdahl »

Garrick wrote:

Great models!
you better pray for better bar staff ^^

"Chess is two stoic soviet sleeper agents silently conducting 300 possibility calculations per second. Blood bowl is a game where a halfling makes a shepherds pie so you lose all your re rolls." (Thanks to nonumber)
Garrick
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Garrick »

RoterSternHochdahl wrote:
Garrick wrote:

Great models!
you better pray for better bar staff ^^
They looked after me, I am after all the extra special one!

The artist formerly known as Dipso Gnome.

PeteW
Super Star
Super Star

Post by PeteW »

Powergamer!

:P

NAFC 2014. Glowworm: "PeteW is definitely hotter than Lunchmoney."
Joemanji
Power Gamer

Post by Joemanji »

We are in the UK, you can't admit to wanting to win a game of Blood Bowl. :o Burn the witch! :wink:

*This post may have been made without the use of a hat.
spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Post by spubbbba »

The Kroxigor is done now, leaving just the display base and Lotta to complete. This puts me nicely ahead of schedule with the GT still a month and a half away, but Lotta does need a fair bit of work to get ready as does the base.

The Krox was made from a genestealer bloodlord with a few conversions, I added shoulder pads and a loin cloth from the Ork range, knee pads from a blood bowl mummy and a tail from a dragon ogre. He also got the same bulgy eyes as the rest of the team. What took up the most of my time for this model was the greentsuff work. As he was made from finecast I had a LOT of filling to do and pretty much had to resculpt several toes. I filled in some of the more alien looking bits like the vents on his arms and legs as well as the holes in the ribcage. I also added some scales to his back and legs to show him having AV9.

He looks quite different from the other players, but that is appropriate as the Krox doesn't really fit Slann anyway. I think it would be nice if they had a Froxigor who loses tail but gains leap, maybe for 10k price drop. He'd be worse but cooler for the rare occasions he leapt into a cage.

Since he posses the higher AV I used the darkest green yet for his skin, the scales were painted very light brown as a nice contrast. I made him no 1 the same as a Blitzer as I'm told that they are a less popular choice amongst most coaches.

spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Post by spubbbba »

I’ve taken a break from painting to focus on building the display base.

I was really pleased with how the base turned out for the lizardmen last year so decided to go with the same technique. As before there is a foam board with holes cut in it for each player and this will be mounted in an old picture frame.

In earlier years I had used a grass sheet and painted the NAF logo onto it, but that did necessitate cutting all the models off their bases to then glue back on. There was a tendency for the sheet to not fit perfectly and start to come up at the edges.

So last year I cut the logo out of plasticard and glued it onto the base to form a mosaic style logo. This is a lot more time consuming and pretty much wrecks the scalpel blade, but does look much better.

Since cutting out the pieces is such heavy going I print the NAF logo out and reverse it. This means any early miss-cuts are on the back and not visible. I then carefully sand the edges of each part and round the corners, before gluing the bits onto the base. The krox gets pride of place and a 40mm hole was cut in the centre of the logo, with a smaller circle cut from that and glued to his base.

The rest of the display base and the other players’ bases are going to have flock glued to them with lots of patches of swampy water, maybe with a few pitch markings on the islands of grass.

I am trying to decide if I want the logo to be made from stone and gold like it was for the lizardmen or painted in team colours. The cracked stone did look really nice but the red and yellow of the team would really stand out from the drab greens of the swamp.

I do really like how this turned out and think at some stage I will have to do an entire pitch with this method. It would work best for a richer and more advanced team such as dark elves or dwarfs. It could be a great way to show astrogranite and make the players look cool when not on the display base.