Anybody interested in an Excel team tracker I made?

For Fantasy Football related chat that doesn't come under any of other forum categories.

Moderator: TFF Mods

WhyNotPurple
Rookie
Rookie

Anybody interested in an Excel team tracker I made?

Post by WhyNotPurple »

Because our group has started a new tabletop Blood Bowl league after a 5 year hiatus, I have dug up some of my old Excel files I made back then and updated it into a kick-ass team tracker. It has a feature I found lacking with all other Excel-based team rosters I found online: it has a nice print page that only displays the essentials.

Another feature is that you can add your own races, players, star players, etc. and rename any existing races, players, star players, etc.

Unfortunately Excel doesn't allow embedding of fonts, so the font used is in the .zip file (although it is not essential).
Blood Bowl Team Roster template (v6.8\).zip
[/color]
Edit: I already found some errors in the Star Players, so I corrected them in v6.1
Edit2: More corrections, this time with journeymen, so we're up to v6.2
Edit3: Updated to v6.5 - added skills on doubles and changed formulas to make adding in your own race/team easier, as per the suggestion of lerchey.
Edit4: Updated to v6.7 - some major changes in this version, see my post below for more details. Main changes are the addition of the 'Plays' tab, and the fact that newly added skills and changes in stats are now bold and underlined in the printout.

Can't download because you don't have an account? No problem, just use this Dropbox link for the Team Roster template (v6.8 ).zip.

Also, for those interested, I have made some more Blood Bowl goodies:
- The Icepelt Rulebook version with bookmarks for everything, as well as links from the content page.
- A Reference Sheet with all your essential Blood Bowl tables, including all skill descriptions.
- All the CRP Special Play (Inducement) Cards for printing at home.
- And a version of the CRP Special Play (Inducement) Cards for professional printing by a printing company, like this one for delivery in Europe and this one for delivery in America. This set includes a bribe and wizard card as a bonus!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Reason: ''
sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Re: Anybody interested in an Excel team tracker I made?

Post by sann0638 »

Looking forward to playing with it, and will add it to the resources section of thenaf.net.

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
lerchey
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by lerchey »

Thank you, WhyNotPurple.

I have a couple of custom teams, and was able to plug them in rather easily.

Very nice tool.

WhyNotPurple
Rookie
Rookie

Post by WhyNotPurple »

Thank you lerchey, I'm glad to hear you like it! Don't hesitate to post if you find something erroneous or have suggestions for improvements :)

I again found some errors, namely with the journeyman (not all of them had Loner), so I updated to v6.2.

lerchey
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by lerchey »

Hi Again,

I experimented last night with moving some things around in the database, hoping to make things easier to use, but it failed miserably. I suspect that it's because of other cell references.

Basically, the database is laid out with the team positions and star players in the same set of columns:

Human Line 50000 0-16 6 3 3 8 (etc.)
/Human/Elf/Orc Crazy Bob (etc.)

I had to put my custom rosters after the star players as there is no break between the rosters and the SPs.
Last night I attempted the following:

1) Insert blank lines between the Wood Elf (Journeyman) and the first Star Player
2) Insert one of my rosters after the Wood Elf (Journeyman) and the first Star Player

That screwed things up. Pretty badly. :) Most of positional stopped showing and only 2 Star Players showed up.

I deleted that copy of the spreadsheet and went back to what I had previously that worked.

My request for new feature:

1) Make it possible to add rosters between the official rosters and the Star Players (prevents an odd side effect where star players sometimes come before players when selecting for the custom teams)
2) Um... never mind. I can't remember what #2 was. :)

Again, thank you for your work and providing this. It's one of the friendliest roster spreadsheets that I've worked with.

WhyNotPurple
Rookie
Rookie

Post by WhyNotPurple »

Hi lerchey,

I know exactly what went wrong. The problem is that the first two columns of the database with the players (the hidden columns) are filled with formulas that are needed for the rest of the sheet to work. When you add rows to the bottom by pressing tab, or dragging the table lower right hand corner down, these formulas are automatically and correctly added to the new rows. However, when you insert a row the formulas are added, but incorrectly. I have changed the formula to work correctly even when adding a row somewhere in the middle (with some scripting help, otherwise it wouldn't be language-independent). Can you try if this works as desired before I replace v6.2?

Edit: I have removed v6.3 as there is now a v6.5. See the top post.

lerchey
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by lerchey »

Hi! I've downloaded and will try it out this weekend. :)

lerchey
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by lerchey »

Hi WhyNotPurple,

Very nice. The Star Player shows up in the roster when selecting players as the last in the list as expected.

:)

One final (I think) suggestion for improvement while I'm thinking of it. Since positions are listed with the max number of players (e.g., 0-2, 0-4, 0-16, etc.) would it make sense to do something to flag a player on the Team Roster tab if you enter more than the maximum allowed for any given position?

Thanks again! This is a really, really nice tool!

[Edit] Oops. Just noticed one more think. By not explicitly listing the skill sets available on doubles, players like Chaos Dwarf Blockers don't show the ability to gain Mutations. Haven't explored this from a roster usage standpoint, but noticed it in the list while entering positions on a custom team.

WhyNotPurple
Rookie
Rookie

Post by WhyNotPurple »

Thank you for looking the sheet over lerchey! And great to hear it works as intended :)

As for checking the amount of position players in the team, this is already implemented. The drop-down list only offers the players that you are still eligible to take. Even if you manage to put more position players in your team than allowed, a red on black warning will appear on the top of the page. In order to make this even more clear, I have added the feature that turns the text red of the players that are too many.

I like the idea of including the 'skills on doubles' lists, so I have implemented this in version 6.5, along with some other improvements!

You can find the new file in the top post.

lerchey
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by lerchey »

I'm about to download the new version, but I think I may have found a bug in the logic testing to see if you have too many of a given position. I'll test it after I grab the new version, but thought I'd point it out anyway.

Let's take halflngs as an easy example.

Halfling 0-16
Treeman 0-2

Player 1 - put in a treeman
Player 2 - put in a halfling
Player 3 - put in a treeman
Player 4 - you can still put in a treeman

The problem is that the counting only seems to happen for adjacent players of the same type.

Thanks again for your hard work. I'll go grab the new version now and will play with it some more.

JaM
Legend
Legend

Post by JaM »

I've toyed with it a bit and so far I like it.
:-)

WhyNotPurple
Rookie
Rookie

Post by WhyNotPurple »

Awesome to hear you like it JaM!

lerchey, I can't find anything wrong with the check for amount of players, nor can I reproduce your Halfling example with any of the versions.

Are you sure that you didn't put one of them as 'miss next match', because then they are not counted as being part of the team in order for you to have the option to add them as a mercenary. Or did you by any chance cut the Treeman cell and pasted it somewhere else?

If that is not it, could you tell me what version and language of Excel you are using? And maybe send me a filled out version where you encountered the bug?

lerchey
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by lerchey »

Hi again! I downloaded and tested the latest version. I can no longer reproduce the "too many of this type of player" error. :D

Also, the "doubles" skill display works wonderfully.

Thank you again! It's all looking very, very good.

WhyNotPurple
Rookie
Rookie

Post by WhyNotPurple »

Great to hear that everything now works as designed!

Strange that you couldn't reproduce the bug, but at least that means it won't be an often occuring problem

Thank you so much for the feedback, it is really appreciated and helps me make a better sheet :)

WhyNotPurple
Rookie
Rookie

Post by WhyNotPurple »

I updated my sheet to v6.7 with some major changes:

- The new 'plays' tab allows for easy creation of your own line-up cheat-sheets.
- Skills gained through levels are bold and underlined in the printout.
- Changes to abilities (level increases and injuries) are now also bold and underlined to make them easier to spot.
- A form has replaced the clumsy way of changing the fonts.
- A reset button makes it possible to empty the sheet in seconds.
- You can now easily change the default paper size from A4 to Letter and Legal.
- The 'cell properties' on the 'Print' tab are now editable so you can manually change the alignment, font, font size, bold things, etc. etc.

The new version can be found in the top post of this thread!