The NAF Championship LIV - 23rd & 24th May 2015

Moderators: lunchmoney, Jimjimjimany, Boneless, deeferdan, TFF Mods

daloonieshaman
Legend
Legend

Re: The NAF Championship LIV - 23rd & 24th May 2015

Post by daloonieshaman »

robsoma wrote:Looks like the Danish open dates move around a bit too, a search shows it's been 22-23 May, 7-8 June and 11-12 June. So just as much movement as the NAFC dates. Hope something can be done so that Lars and the Danes can still make it.
NAFC just negotiated a deal they can change it if they want to

Reason: ''
2014 Chaos Cup Stunty Cup
goldbaek
Veteran
Veteran

Post by goldbaek »

robsoma wrote:Looks like the Danish open dates move around a bit too, a search shows it's been 22-23 May, 7-8 June and 11-12 June. So just as much movement as the NAFC dates. Hope something can be done so that Lars and the Danes can still make it.
Danish Open moves around because it's always held during the Danish national holiday called "Pinse" (in English: "Pentecost") - which is never held on a fixed date. "Pinse" is held on the 7th Sunday after Easter which means it's held somewhere between the 10th May and the 13th June.

But I sure hope that something can be done so that the two tourneys won't clash with each other...

robsoma
Star Player
Star Player

Post by robsoma »

Yep NAFC just negotiated a deal and posted a date, before the date of the Danish open 2015 has been announced.

My point is that neither tournament has a fixed weekend, yes the Danish hold their tournament on the national holiday, however as per joes post this date is a UK bank holiday weekend which is better for the UK coaches.

Justice for the Agribowla Three!!!
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

daloonieshaman wrote:NAFC just negotiated a deal they can change it if they want to
Not if the venue only has that date available.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
daloonieshaman
Legend
Legend

Post by daloonieshaman »

are they limited on venues
I do not know the resources of the localation (meaning 50 or 60 radial miles)
or is it in the group's "back yard" and how far do they wish to travel for the event (nothing with having an event in an actual backyard I used to run warhammer and 40K events at my house pulling 40-50 people, the grass was covered with tables)

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

I believe it's limits on suitably sized venues in the Nottingham area. There may be others further afield, but the NAF want to keep the NAFC in Nottingham, as that's where the Blood Bowl GT was held.

As for in the "groups backyard", depends on whos perspective. From a NA POV the whole of the UK is in each others "backyard". ;)
But Joe, who is the main organiser, is in London, so it's certainly not "local" to him. Not sure on the other organisers though.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
daloonieshaman
Legend
Legend

Post by daloonieshaman »

okay
simple solution
since NAF wants it in nottingham
they can front some money to do a multiyear contract and get several things (don't worry they will get it back from registrations every year consider it an interest free loan. NAF has a shi*load of cash to invest)
stability
a better price per year
fixed dates

NAFC can ltterally go back to the location and say we want to rework the contract and get a better deal
Venues love forward reservations it is "money in the bank" for them and they do not have to work to fill that timeslot. I used to have a buddy that did event booking and the stories he would tell.

By having a forward schedule it helps your participants as they have time to plan. You would get more non-europeans (of course that would lead to non-euros taking home the Championship, but hey all in good fun right)

sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

Little bit of a cheap shot, but don't like lots of hard work being thrown back in my face - why would you want to attend an event organised by the NAF, either the NAFC or the WC?

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
daloonieshaman
Legend
Legend

Post by daloonieshaman »

sann0638 wrote:Little bit of a cheap shot, but don't like lots of hard work being thrown back in my face - why would you want to attend an event organised by the NAF, either the NAFC or the WC?
who said anything about NAF organizing anything
there role is to support events and the community as a whole

sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

No, the NAF championship and NAF World Cup are organised by the NAF. That's all, hopefully point made, will go back to being nice to everyone now.

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
Joemanji
Power Gamer

Post by Joemanji »

Mr. Nuffle wrote:Everyone but the Danes will be happy...

It's going to be either Danish Open or NAF for us :cry:
That is a real shame Lars, we love having our Danish friends over for the NAFC. Unfortunately the weekend in question is a great one for UK coaches as it is followed by a public holiday on the Monday.

I'm not going to directly address all of the wild and wonderful accusations in the rest of the thread. I don't think it is productive to manage by committee or engage with every single comment. Contract negotiations are sensitive and will not be discussed in public. At some point people will have to trust myself and the organising team to get on with it. The previous NAFCs have all gone down well with those who have actually attended them, and I am happy that the community of genuine attendees do extend us that trust. But if someone has any constructive points to make, then they can always contact me directly.

But I would add that the NAFC (and prior that the Blood Bowl) has always been on a non-fixed weekend in May. We have just announced the 2015 dates a mere two weeks after the 2014 event, well ahead of comparable announcements from the Chaos Cup, Spike!, Dungeonbowl or Eurobowl. An event with 160 coaches (and presumably 200+ potential coaches) will always fall on a bad date for somebody. For example, the dates in 2014 made it impossible for the Caterham school group to return, but the 2015 dates turn out to be much better for them. For every disappointment there is an opportunity.

*This post may have been made without the use of a hat.
lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

Joemanji wrote: For every disappointment there is an opportunity.
+1

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

lunchmoney wrote:
Joemanji wrote: For every disappointment there is an opportunity.
+1
Yep - the date for both 2013 and 2104 meant I couldn't make it - the date for 2015 means I can.

sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

Is that disappointment or opportunity? ;)

NAF Ex-President
NAF Data wrangler
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Opportunity for 6 lucky people to get double NAF points. Disappointment for the other 150+ on missing out on an easy win. ;)