Da-hjup Frozen Flames : Chaos Pact WIP

A forum for football mini's talk.......painting, converting etc. etc. or showing off great accessories that make playing the game easier, cooler or more fun.

Moderator: TFF Mods

siggyllama
Veteran
Veteran

Da-hjup Frozen Flames : Chaos Pact WIP

Post by siggyllama »

I've been enjoying the WIP threads on here so I thought I might as well contribute one.

I started playing BB in 1987, and most of the minis I own were bought back then, yet it took until last autumn before I ever painted a full team (and that only took me 2 years to complete, working off and on). Here they are, the Thunder Bay Blunderbuss:

While looking through my minis and seeing what LRB6 teams I could put together, it took an embarrasingly long time for me to realize I had everything I need to make a Pact team (minus the Troll) if I used these old WHFB Chaos Warriors as Marauders:
(That red CW represents the best painting specimen I managed in high school, btw)

They certainly weren't going to be put to any other use, so I commissioned Xtreme do so some conversions for me (check out his painting blog if you haven't already!), including some mutations for the renegades.

Trying to come up with a theme for my team, being that the Pact are composed of Northmen and that I am a recent transplant to Michigan, I thought I would theme them after my state's remote, desolate Upper Peninsula. Casting about for ideas, I came upon this piece of Paul Bunyan folklore and decided the Frozen Flames had a nice ring to it. I like to think that the team name harkens back to the incident when the Winds of Chaos first swept into a frozen timber and copper-mining village (the chief industries of the U.P.) and the communal bonfire froze solid from the influence to Tzeentchian magic. That omen still looms large in their collective memory and forms the inspiration for their team identity.

Residents of the U.P., in their distinct local accent (which is influenced, somehow, by the populace's Finnish and Scandinavian descent), refer to their home as "Da Yoop"; that looks a bit silly for the hordes of Chaos, but el superbeasto was kind enough to supply me with the Danish-stylized spelling of Da-hjup, which looks a little darker and mysterious. (He also sold me a 2nd ed. troll to round out the team, swell fellow.)

Time to pick a color scheme. I hemmed and hawed about this endlessly, to the extent that I painted up 3 different demo figures to try out some ideas:
My biggest problem here was that I fixated on using copper for the metal bits, to fit with the geographic theme. But I also wanted a deep blue for the icy arctic night, and a pale yellow to represent the frozen flame. Of my candidates I liked #3 the best, but for the yellow to play nice with the copper, I had to warm it up a little.

So finally, to some real results! My first go at a Marauder, Macky Gnaw:
When painting my test models, my wife was adamant that she didn't like light-colored shoulder pads, so I went with a blue one here... and didn't like the results. So I made it yellow, and his brother Macky Gnack to match:

Next up, the minotaur Moosejaw. I humbly submit that here is the best painting I have yet achieved. (You don't want to know how many hours it took me.)

Here the the 3 finished guys together (you can glimpse the troll WIP in the back):

Sheesh, that was ridiculously long, hope you can get some enjoyment out of that! All thoughts and feedback welcome.

Reason: ''
Xtreme
Mr. Zlurpee

Re: Da-hjup Frozen Flames : Chaos Pact WIP

Post by Xtreme »

Looking great so far, can't wait to see some of the other models some of my favorites are still to come.

ImageImage
Fassbinder75
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Fassbinder75 »

I love this project, old-school minis turned into a Tzeentch-ian Pact side. Looking really good so far! I've got my own in progress (sig).

minimakeovers.wordpress.com
axiom
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by axiom »

Nice use of the old chaos models! I love the nice vibrant blue and yellow.

Those old school humans are great too. I still love those figures!

http://www.magpieandoldlead.blogspot.co.uk/
http://www.beastfaceminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
Joemanji
Power Gamer

Post by Joemanji »

Looks great so far, excited to see the rest!

*This post may have been made without the use of a hat.
sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

I'd strongly suggest getting hold of some 30mm bases for the big guys (Impact, among other places probably) as the 40mm ones are not particularly practical on the board. Good stuff though!

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
nazgob
Legend
Legend

Post by nazgob »

I've found that 1980s bigger guys fit on standard bases just fine.

Loving the look of the team - can't wait to see more.

Did you ever locate a troll?

robsoma
Star Player
Star Player

Post by robsoma »

My psychic abilities say yes he did and that he numbered him 12...

Justice for the Agribowla Three!!!
Norse
Da Organiza

Post by Norse »

robsoma wrote:My psychic abilities say yes he did and that he numbered him 12...
the force is strong in this one... :roll:

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
siggyllama
Veteran
Veteran

Post by siggyllama »

Fassbinder75 wrote:I love this project, old-school minis turned into a Tzeentch-ian Pact side. Looking really good so far! I've got my own in progress (sig).
Just checked yours out, looks great. I've wondered if I'll ever have the courage to do the asymmetric color scheme thing.

siggyllama
Veteran
Veteran

Post by siggyllama »

Thanks for the encouragement everyone, and for those of you with sharper eyes than certain others :P

siggyllama
Veteran
Veteran

Post by siggyllama »

(Actually come to think of it, I do have a WIP shot of the troll)

fatfinley
Veteran
Veteran

Post by fatfinley »

This is great. I love the choice of models for this team. The research for the name and such for the team, is very BOTH DOWN Approved!

Both Down: The #1 Podcast... hosted by Gingers. Check us out at http://bothdown.com/ all feedback welcomed.

Save the date! March 14th 2015 Orclahoma Bowl IV at http://orclahomabowl.com/ plus the Spiky Cup on March 15th 2015
Sir-Skofis
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Sir-Skofis »

This project is looking great, hoping to see more updates

Visit my Blog: Image
bound for glory
Legend
Legend