DreadBall - The Futuristic Sports Game

For discussion of Elfball, Dreadball, Deathball, Grind and all other fantasy football games

Moderator: TFF Mods

Stew
Rookie
Rookie

DreadBall - The Futuristic Sports Game

Post by Stew »

With permission from Darkson, we've set up this DreadBall thread so that we can keep you updated with all of the latest goings on, and a place where you can ask us any burning questions about the game and what we intend to do in the future.

For those of you who don't know, DreadBall is the hyperkinetic sports game of the future written by esteemed Games Designer Jake Thornton - a 2-player sci-fi board game where two teams take to the neodurium pitches of the future to score strikes and win at all costs.

We're currently raising funds for development and future expansions for the game on Kickstarter - a crowd source funding website where you can help push the project forwards and get some great rewards in the process. We're currently launching the game with four teams available, but by the end of the Kickstarter we could have close to 12 and a whole host of special MVP characters.

We're also building a community - over 1000 people have pledged their support, meaning on launch there will be a player base from the off.

The game is fast, fun and tactical. We've got a gameplay video coming next week but if you want to know more about the game before then, check out these handy links:

Example Rush.PDF
Quirkworthy - Jake's Blog on all things DreadBall. It's a great read, thoroughly recommended.
DreadBall Kickstarter Page
Boardgame Geek Website
DreadBall Website

Please fire away if you've got any questions - we'd love to hear from you!

Cheers,

Stew
Mantic Games

PS - If you like what you've seen, please support the game on Kickstarter!

Reason: ''
Darkson
Da Spammer

Re: DreadBall - The Futuristic Sports Game

Post by Darkson »

Just like to point out that although Stew asked for permission, he didn't need to.

I intend to pledge, just need to sort it out (K's needs PayPal!).

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Corvidius
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Corvidius »

Darkson wrote: (K's needs PayPal!).
I wholeheartedly agree, it is the one thing Indiegogo has over it just now IMO.

Stew
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Stew »

And we've reached another goal already - massive thanks to everyone who pledged!

Next up, the Enforcer, Buzzcut, and Season 2...

Check out the update here: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/174 ... sts/304629

Stew
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Stew »

New update over on Kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/174 ... sts/307160

Highlights:
  • Loads more free figures to come in the future!
    New Buy-One-Get-One-Free deal for the teams in Season 2, so that's two teams for $25!
    A sneak peek at the Judwan

As well as the KS update, check out the competition over on Board Game Geek for a chance to win a copy of the game, or even a complete Striker! pledge!

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/855 ... -sept-18th

Also, for anyone who's unable to pay through Amazon, send us a message via the Kickstarter page - we can take late pledges after the Kickstarter ends, and we can invoice via Paypal :).

Please visit the DreadBall Kickstarter!
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

I'm probably missing something, but isn't it only pledgers that can message via KS?

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Stew
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Stew »

Darkson wrote:I'm probably missing something, but isn't it only pledgers that can message via KS?
Nope, anyone can message us. Only backers can add comments to the page, but anyone can send messages :).

Ithilkir
Legend
Legend

Post by Ithilkir »

Ok, this is a cross post with the other Dreadball thread (confusing as I'd have originally put it in this one I had realised it existed), bit of feedback initially from just seeing the gameplay video though.

http://youtu.be/b9KboIh6lBE

Just watched the gameplay video and I have to say one thing.. "Urgh... dice" from the 2minute 40 mark it shows a basic 'block' type move... which ends up rolling nine d6 at a basic level and then with sixes making a reroll I think it ends up with eleven.. Eleven dice rolled for one block! Is it just me or does that seem insane? I think they said it works on successes so if it's a 3+ or 4+ it counts so it wipes out at least counting them but I immediately see nine dice being rolled and the next two minutes people working out either where the dice fell off the table, is that player a or b's dice or "Hang on, I only have three dice with me can I borrow yours?"....

One of the greatest things with Blood Bowl 3rd edition up was the simplification of the dice rolling mechanic and it made is really nice and straight forward for non board gamer types to pickup.

It stil looks really nice and I hope they do well, but unfortunately it's just not for me seeing all these dice being flung around now. I'm pretty much limited to picking up a board game with the missus these days and this will likely just end in confusion :P

Cheers,
Stephen :: LRB 5.0 Background Editor
Blood Bowl 2005 & 2006 :: Winner of Most Casualties
The Lore of Nuffle :: The webs biggest BB flavour archive!
Stew
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Stew »

Hi Ithilkir, thanks for the feedback :)

I take it you're not a wargamer? Rolling 11 dice is nothing if that's what you're used to :P.

Anyway, in the game, it honestly is nowhere near as complicated as you make out. Each player rolls their dice (usually three) to perform certain actions. If an action involves another model, then both players roll dice (which are different colours in the finished game) and count the number of successes you've made. Granted, it's more complicated than Snakes and Ladders, but trust me, after one game you'll know exactly what you're doing and it's not at all confusing.

Look out for the full 6 turn video next week and you'll see what I mean.

Stew
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Stew »

Hey guys

There have been quite a few updates to our Kickstarter in the past couple of days - why not head over there and check them out?

Firstly, the core rules are now available for download, so you've got no excuse not to have a look now :-)

http://gallery.mailchimp.com/e62f0c3545 ... dium=email

Also, check out the front page for the incredible amount that you now get in the Striker package:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/174 ... ports-game

And we've got some new alien races!

Let me know what you think!

Lard
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Lard »

I like the more alien teams more than the original "fantasy in space"-teams. Make them even more futuristic!

The game is in the year 3030 i suppose?

Thadrin
Moaning Git

Post by Thadrin »

Re: Buckets of dice. I'm a wargamer - and the primary systems I play involve 0 and up to 5 (in exceptional circumstances, 2 or 3 usually) dice at one time. 11 only seems like a small amount if you focius on roll6shammer or Shadowrun.

The more I look at this, the more I'm inclined to get the basic set (the Jack I think it's called) just to have.

I know a bear that you don't know. * ICEPELT IS MY HERO.
Master bleater. * Not in the clique.
Member of the "3 digit" club.
Heff
Dwarf fetishist

Post by Heff »

Aliens now THAT is what I want. Intelligent shade of blue next please

Heff...Keeping the Dwarf (and lego) hate alive
If you cannot stall out for an 8 turn drive to score with dwarves then you need to go and play canasta with your dad..if you can find him.
Darkson Designs
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Darkson Designs »

The Judwan sold me on the game and listing to Jake talk for 2 hours about DB. (Great pod cast by the way. Keep up the great PR work).

You guys need to post more goals (3 or 4 ahead of the current goal) so we can keep throwing money at you.

Stew
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Stew »

Request granted... :D

New Pitches

DBR-7 "Firewall", Robot MVP - NOW FREE at JACK AND STRIKER LEVELS!

Ludwig, Zzor MVP - NOW FREE AT JACK AND STRIKER LEVELS!

Nightshade, Asterian MVP - NOW FREE AT JACK AND STRIKER LEVELS!

Yurik Yurikson, Forge Father MVP - SOON TO BE FREE AT JACK AND STRIKER LEVELS!

and an injured Goblin - SOON TO BE FREE AT JACK AND STRIKER LEVELS!

Coming soon - Ultimate DreadBall - multiplayer action and some big stompy robots!

If none of this does it for you, what will? What do you think?