The NAF Championship - 19/20th May 2012 - GWHQ Nottingham

Moderators: lunchmoney, Jimjimjimany, Boneless, deeferdan, TFF Mods

shaniepoo
Party Boy

Re: The NAF Championship - 19/20th May 2012 - GWHQ Nottingha

Post by shaniepoo »

nonumber wrote:I look forward to the naf championship more and more each year and I'm going to be anticipating the next one for a whole 12 months, just gets better each year absolutely amazing to see everyone gather like that to play bloodbowl and I loved every second of it this year, despite finishing second bottom :D big big thankyou to all the organisers and long may it continue!
Apart from moaning about the hotel and that you didnt get your pomigranet juice! LoL

How the hell did you not come last!!!! I was gutted you didnt get the spoon!!!

Reason: ''
The Cutlery King - Winner of 6 Wooden spoons... and proud of each one! :D
Oly1987
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Oly1987 »

Great weekend, roll on next year! Thanks to all my opponants for helping make it good time and Pete for putting me up with a sofa to sleep on. Congrats again Food well deserved

4 catchers and a thrower with hail mary pass, what could possibly go wrong?
Loki
Legend
Legend

Post by Loki »

A big thank you to all the organisers and referees for a second fantastic NAFC !)

I'm already looking forward to next year :D

Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like a banana.
Buggrit
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Buggrit »

Thadrin, Mordredd also stuffed Skaven 7-2 game 4 (so I don't feel so bad about losing 7-1 to him with goblins!)

Shanie, I had worst net TD / Cas & NoNumber had massive Cas count for which offset his TD losses... But he did get most CAS

G.W.A. NATION!
Most CAS Albion Coast Trophy 2 & 3 Stunty Cup Thrudball 2015 Wooden Spoon Crumb Bowl 2 & NAF Championship 2012

SAWBBL's Cutlery King
Doomy
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Doomy »

I've already made similar noises on the OCC forums, but I know not all of you are on there - yet. You will be assimilated, resistance is futile. :lol:

Anyhoo - great meeting everyone again, with a special thanks to Glowworm for the green dice. I am aware I still owe you a pint too, sorry about that but I kinda lost track of you when I dropped down to the back row with the rest of the slow kids. :lol:

I'll be more than happy to buy you a pint in the Dodger, and I also plan to attend NAFC next year. Same team, different tactics. :lol:

Pakulkan
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Pakulkan »

Hello!

Finally I could post in the NAFC topic! We were in silence due to the surprise given to our first LBN married, Juster (AKA the Snow Troll).

Now, I could thank all NAF Staff for this fantastic event. Certainly, the previously known Bloodbowl has reached the level he deserved, in numbers, in countries participating and so...

I would thank specially to Pippy his effort to help us in maintain all the bunch subscribed but hidden, the support and the advice.

Thank you also to all my opponents. Was amazing to play against 2 english, 2 italian and 2 french players. Such an experience that you could only have there. I will make it extensively to all the LBN opponents and the players that we met in the tournament. Some of them old friends and other new ones. Thank you all for an excellent experience again.

About the tournament itself, it was very well organized. All rounds were played on time (very important point involving 190 players), referees were also available and very kind, and the venue is perfect not only to play but also to spare time between rounds (you have a shop, a museum and a bar...).

Although the tournament was very good assessed, I think feedback would be appreciated, and that's because I want to make some comments. Some of them maybe are not easily (or even impossible) to implement, and probably they were also considered. But in any case comment them maybe could help organizers.

- About painting contest. As experienced painter, I think it is a pity to be in the Warhammer world and not take profit on the bunch of Pro-Painters that 'Eavy Metal has. From the point of view of painting "as an art" to have an experienced and skilled jury would be better than a fast referee selection and player voting. Maybe GW wouldn't help you in this point, but for a massive event as NAFC I think an effort to recruit at least 2-3 independent Golden Demon painters for a volunteer jury would rise the painting prize level. To select the teams during saturday morning and to exhibit them in saturday and sunday lunch will also give the players the opportunity to enjoy them. An independent painting jury will also get this part of referees work, so permitting them to focus on the tournament even better.

- About Stunty Cup. As stunties usually are not in high tables in final rounds (even the best ones) I think to take best two stunty teams to perform a Stunty Cup parallel final wouldn't mess the tournament round 6 so much. It on the other hand would give the Stunty Cup some extra relevance and hopefully promote the stunty teams subscription a little bit.

- Following stunties issues... You could also consider to include as stunties the "Skink" teams (made only with skinks and kroxigor) and the full-goblin Underworld (with troll and no skavens in them). They will also add some variety to the Stunty Cup.

- About the tournament final itself. I think you certainly need to place it in a preeminent place. Some of us think that final was played on table 1, but the real final place wasn't so important IMO. Maybe saving a little extra space in the center of Warhammer world or moving some tables in the last round... I think to raise this will be not so easy if you consider to move the final place, but I should note it because our mistake. It is better to have the final in a easily findable and preeminent place without the necessity of asking someone.

- And in the personal opinion part: I prefer to have tournaments with all the skills from the round one. It is more simple in order to check rosters and to start rounds. I don't know how many players joined the tournament the saturday morning, but maybe to close subscriptions Wednesday, Thursday or Friday will help to avoid the roster checking on saturday. As in the World Cup, it is preferred for many players to have round one on friday and just arrive to the venue and play. There are some resuorces in spain to implement a subscription website in with to enter the rosters and assign the skills, providing the organization a good tool to reduce their work on saturday morning. Just take into account, we could help on that.

And that's it. I hope it will help you and hopefully we could be there next year!!!

GREEN DOG FIGURINES

Follow us also in Facebook...
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Painting - I doubt GW would provide any help with 'Eavy Metal painters, and I'm not sure they'd be willing to come down on a voluntary basis, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Stunty Cup: disagree with that suggestion - I like that it's the best overall, not the best over 5 games and a final (tbh, I'd remove the final for the main teams as well, but that's just my opinion).

Adding Skinks/Underworld Gobbos - agree there, I do that in mine.

Final: was it not at the front this year? I know GW have held it on the stage in the past, but the stage is (was?) a lot smaller than it used to be (remembers the old awesome but impracticable stadium).

Skills: I actually prefer skills that come in per-round, so I'm pleased they didn't change that. As for pre-registering the rosters, Bren had asked all coaches to do that, on more than one occasion. There was a dedicated email just for that purpose, and a number of people on standby to help with the checking. I was going to be running that, but because of illness and other RL issues, Bren did it - I don't know what ratio of people did pre-submit compared to not. Herding cats again. ;)
And while having the draw ready on a Friday would be good, there were about 30 no-shows, so that's potentially 30 games that need rearranging, which would actually take longer to sort than just drawing on the Sat morning once everyone's arrived (imo at least).

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Pakulkan
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Pakulkan »

Darkson wrote:Painting - I doubt GW would provide any help with 'Eavy Metal painters, and I'm not sure they'd be willing to come down on a voluntary basis, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to ask.
Probably if the painting contest reaches the relative importance it deserves (as part of NAF events, placed on the biggest individual tournament of Bloodbowl...) the jury could be proud and pleased to be asked for. To maybe enhancing this you could make the painting contest a parallel event instead a added trophy to the NAFC. Something like "The NAF Painting Contest" at NAFChampionship. It will be a sort of BBGames Day with tournament and some hobby.
Darkson wrote:Stunty Cup: disagree with that suggestion - I like that it's the best overall, not the best over 5 games and a final (tbh, I'd remove the final for the main teams as well, but that's just my opinion).
So I guess we agree. Let's say: same treatment for stunties than regular teams. No matter if there is final or just league. ;)

Darkson wrote:Final: was it not at the front this year? I know GW have held it on the stage in the past, but the stage is (was?) a lot smaller than it used to be (remembers the old awesome but impracticable stadium).
I guess it was near the entrance of Bugman's. Probably it was not so difficult to find out, but I guess you could consider to give then an space on the scenery or something like a central place in the Warhammer World space. Maybe some table rearrangement could be necessary, don't know.
Darkson wrote:There was a dedicated email just for that purpose, and a number of people on standby to help with the checking. I was going to be running that, but because of illness and other RL issues, Bren did it - I don't know what ratio of people did pre-submit compared to not. Herding cats again. ;)
And while having the draw ready on a Friday would be good, there were about 30 no-shows, so that's potentially 30 games that need rearranging, which would actually take longer to sort than just drawing on the Sat morning once everyone's arrived (imo at least).
Maybe instead to call for registering you could use the mode of: 1)Enter your roster in the website + 2)Payment to confirm it. It will promote the roster submission prior the tournament. About this 30 no-shows, could not imagine such a high number. It is certainly an issue for the pre-register and draw in friday. Usually it is 2-3 people not coming, even in 90 players tournaments here...

GREEN DOG FIGURINES

nonumber
Super Star
Super Star

Post by nonumber »

It's not the Golden Demon. I think a hundred of your fellow gamers are a perfectly good judge for the best painted award. I think if the stage is too small the final should be played on table 1.

"Sometimes you're a big dog wearing a small hat, sometimes you're a small dog wearing a big one. That's life, baby."
Sandwich
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Sandwich »

I was ticket 193, boguht the day before the event, and according to the results up at the end of day 1 there were 183 coaches playing (I was #180 at that point :lol:), so there couldn't have been many more than 10-15 no-shows.

Definitely agree that the public-voting part of the painting competition could have been organised better - the lighting of the stage area was terrible for viewing figures in, and there just wasn't enough space to get people around. Other than that, I did notice referees going up and down looking at the teams, so I think the actual judging etc is probably as good as can be done.

As for the final, it was near the entrance to Bugmans... and there was a reasonable crowd around it near the end, so no problems there either IMO.

And yeah, skills at one per game is good enough for me - although I usually take races that very much need more than one to be any good.

Stunty Cup: NAFC 2014, WISB IV
Most TDs: Cambridge Doubles 2011, Carrot Crunch VI, Boudica Bowl
Wooden Spoon: STABB Cup 2
Thadrin
Moaning Git

Post by Thadrin »

Sandwich wrote:And yeah, skills at one per game is good enough for me - although I usually take races that very much need more than one to be any good.
Doesn't help when your one extra-skilled player gets killed blocking a goblin either, does it?

I know a bear that you don't know. * ICEPELT IS MY HERO.
Master bleater. * Not in the clique.
Member of the "3 digit" club.
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Sandwich wrote:I was ticket 193, boguht the day before the event, and according to the results up at the end of day 1 there were 183 coaches playing (I was #180 at that point :lol:), so there couldn't have been many more than 10-15 no-shows.
I was under the impression that 210+ tickets were sold - I do know they don't always go on numbered basis.

@Pako - I also don't think GW like us rearranging the furniture - I know they won't lose the gaming tables at the back of the hall. :x

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Pakulkan
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Pakulkan »

Sadly I agree. GW are always ready to piss on BB.

Maybe trying to convince them that in fact to use one Bloodbowl stadium is in fact a different gaming table could work... Not so much hope on that but worthy to try in any case.

GREEN DOG FIGURINES

spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Post by spubbbba »

It would be very cool to have the final played on a 40mm pitch complete with stadium.

You could even put a web cam on it, I saw a 40K tournament that had that on the top tables. You got a pretty good view and could hear the players discussing the game.

My past and current modelling projects showcased on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
Thadrin
Moaning Git

Post by Thadrin »

They did that once. We could watch the game in the pub. IIRC Mordredd beat Sputnik in the final?

Don't expect GW to pull out the stops for us though. The only acknowledgement of our presence I saw was a note to people that there would be fewer Warhammer tables available all weekend, so book early...

As much was done as circumstances allowed for as far as I could see.

Still wouldn't waant to move the tourney though. I still like Warhammer World as a venue.

I know a bear that you don't know. * ICEPELT IS MY HERO.
Master bleater. * Not in the clique.
Member of the "3 digit" club.