TFF Minisorca Vikings Legacy 2011 - Team Blog

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

TalonBay
Star Player
Star Player

TFF Minisorca Vikings Legacy 2011 - Team Blog

Post by TalonBay »

The team arrived fresh from it's travels across the vast ocean and hungry for battle, just missing out on a local tournament they searched high and low for an alternative and found a short term league kicking off. "Kicking off" thought their coach, "hmmm, we'll have some of that!".

The Boyz gathered for the tryouts:
Photo 22-02-2012 00 11 46.jpg
So, I've a couple of weeks until game 1, it's a standard rookie team start, around 10 games in the league assuming you go all the way to the championship final at the end of the playoffs. Starting line-ups? I'm not an orc player but I'd assume the blitzers and black orcs are compulsory and then it's down to choosing from the rest?

My initial thought would be:
4x blitzers
4x black orcs
1x thrower
1x lineman
1x troll
2x re-rolls

I can drop the troll to a lineman to get another re-roll but I thing the troll helps as a road-block.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Reason: ''
The Daventry League: Pitchblack Stealers http://www.level10.org/BloodBowl/index.php?section=main
Proud Owner of the TFF Minisorca Vikings Legacy 2011 viewtopic.php?f=25&t=36011
RogueThirteen
Star Player
Star Player

Re: TFF Minisorca Vikings Legacy 2011 - Team Blog

Post by RogueThirteen »

No doubt, that's a solid starting line-up. Personally, I'd forgo the troll for now and take that extra Re-Roll, as a third will be really handy. Essentially, that's another turn-over each half that you will (hopefully) be able to prevent. The troll is frustrating and with 4x Black Orcs and 4x Block, you should have enough muscle as a new team.

Alternatively, you might try:
4 Black Orc Blockers
4 Blitzers
2 Throwers
1 Goblin
3 Re-rolls

Having two throwers can help ensure you'll always have a Sure Hands player not too far away from the kick. The two AV8 pieces and the Gobbo can leave you a slight bit more vulnerable, though, the Goblin can be somewhat handing for getting into slippery spots for crucial assists. Just make sure to protect the little guy.

dines
Star Player
Star Player

Post by dines »

RogueThirteen wrote:No doubt, that's a solid starting line-up. Personally, I'd forgo the troll for now and take that extra Re-Roll, as a third will be really handy. Essentially, that's another turn-over each half that you will (hopefully) be able to prevent. The troll is frustrating and with 4x Black Orcs and 4x Block, you should have enough muscle as a new team.

Alternatively, you might try:
4 Black Orc Blockers
4 Blitzers
2 Throwers
1 Goblin
3 Re-rolls

Having two throwers can help ensure you'll always have a Sure Hands player not too far away from the kick. The two AV8 pieces and the Gobbo can leave you a slight bit more vulnerable, though, the Goblin can be somewhat handing for getting into slippery spots for crucial assists. Just make sure to protect the little guy.
I'm not an orc player, but whats the point with a goblin if you can't throw it?

FUMBBL nick: Metalsvinet
Penwaaagh
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Penwaaagh »

Personally I would drop the Troll for a lineman + Reroll. Would rather pay 60gp for a reroll now than 120gp after you have started league. then the troll is 10gp cheaper than a RR!
My gobbo just hogs the MVP... :roll:

Heff
Dwarf fetishist

Post by Heff »

Penwaaagh wrote:Personally I would drop the Troll for a lineman + Reroll. Would rather pay 60gp for a reroll now than 120gp after you have started league. then the troll is 10gp cheaper than a RR!
This. But gobbos are surprisingly good for assists as stunty lets them get in. Of course if the block goes wrong they get sqashed

Heff...Keeping the Dwarf (and lego) hate alive
If you cannot stall out for an 8 turn drive to score with dwarves then you need to go and play canasta with your dad..if you can find him.
RogueThirteen
Star Player
Star Player

Post by RogueThirteen »

Heff wrote:
Penwaaagh wrote:Personally I would drop the Troll for a lineman + Reroll. Would rather pay 60gp for a reroll now than 120gp after you have started league. then the troll is 10gp cheaper than a RR!
This. But gobbos are surprisingly good for assists as stunty lets them get in. Of course if the block goes wrong they get sqashed
Exactly. Ideally, another lineman would probably be better, but taking a gobbo is the only way to be able to afford 4x Blitzers, 4x Black Orcs, 2x Throwers, and 3x RRs. Nevertheless, the little fellas can be decent for mobile assists and for slipping through some defenders if you're desperate and out of time for a TD. Once you get a deeper bench, they are also good foulers.

SBG
Super Star
Super Star

Post by SBG »

I'd go with one more re-roll and one more lineman instead of the Troll.

One thrower should be enough to start the season. Apo as soon as you can and then another one if need be. Or pile up your cash for the troll.

I don't like gobbos ont orc teams, so I usually buy them way late in the team life. But previous posters have a point: great for assists and they squeeze in pretty much everywhere.

Fred

LQN Commissionner and now 7-time champion!
TalonBay
Star Player
Star Player

Post by TalonBay »

In a surprise turn of events a re-arranged schedule saw an opportunity to get the first game of the league season underway tonight, so the Vikings played host to a visiting Khemri team.

I decided to go with 3 re-rolls, 2 line orcs and the thrower (mainly because there's only one thrower on the team:-). The Vikings roster is stored on the NAF site here: Vikings Legacy

I'm not sure how Khemri stacks up for a rookie Orc team, my ST4 guys will spend a lot of the game facing up against ST5 Guardians but my blitzers are likely to be the best players on the pitch.

The game opened with the Vikings receiving and a pitch invasion, I'd won the Fame and it caused carnage on the Khemri side of the pitch with only 3 players left standing as the ball settled. Despite being a couple of players short for the opening it was a big break and put the Vikings in a very strong position. With the ball secured and caged up the lineorc Axiom saw the opportunity for a cheeky foul and planted his boot on the head of a Tomb Guardian but only stunned him and was ejected from the game, not the best opening turn but it seemed in character :)

The Vikings ground up the pitch but some poor blocks allowed the Guardians to get in the way, as the drive stalled Spiky changed direction a bolted for the other side of the pitch. SBG broke the thrower free by killing a Blitz-ra (only to have him regenerate) but there was no-one left to prevent the opening score.

Breaking away for the team's first TD:
Photo 23-02-2012 20 22 34.jpg
A non-returning KO'd skeleton kept the teams level at the half as the Orcs kicked off with a Blitz! They rushed downfield to pressure the few skeletons sat deep. In an effort to stem the flood of players the Khemri put a lot tackle zones down but couldn't stop Lauth81 knocking the ball free, it fell to Spiky to dodge free for a pick up and a second score...but he tripped and took himself out of the game with a long term niggle. There were too many bodies around the ball though and despite Lauth81 being seriously hurt the Orcs eventually cleared the way for Asperon to grab the ball and score the clincher.

So, a decent winning start but two big casualties, I'm glad the Orcs have got AV9 as it was consistently awesome! Several skeletons visited the KO box but only 3 times the Orcs left the pitch in comparison.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

The Daventry League: Pitchblack Stealers http://www.level10.org/BloodBowl/index.php?section=main
Stu
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Stu »

Nice to see them in action, enjoy :D

TalonBay
Star Player
Star Player

Post by TalonBay »

The 2nd game in the league rolled around quickly and with key players missing the Vikings drafted in some journeymen. The latest opponents were to be dwarfs and coached by last season's runner up so time to step it up a gear!

Standard Dwarf roster meant that only two players lacked block so despite the strength advantage the Orcs were at risk of being out-bashed. I should never have worried, early casualties and KO's meant the Vikings got the numerical advantage and never surrendered it!

Asperon opened the scoring (and gained an AG boost in the process) but the highlight came half way through the second half:
Vikings_Game2.jpg
As MiKi dashed away for the score to wrap it up the rest of the team battered the dwarves into the turf so that for one glorious turn not a single Dwarf remained standing :)

Another 2-0 win and the missing players return for the next game, almost enough money in the bank to bring in the Troll and you know Inkpwn is coming just as soon as we can raise the cash!

Heff
Dwarf fetishist

Post by Heff »

Dwarfs on the floor :lol:

If you cannot stall out for an 8 turn drive to score with dwarves then you need to go and play canasta with your dad..if you can find him.
Heff
Dwarf fetishist

Post by Heff »

TalonBay
Star Player
Star Player

Post by TalonBay »

lol, Is someone a happy bunny? :)

TalonBay
Star Player
Star Player

Post by TalonBay »

The last game of the 3-game regular season saw the Vikings playing an amazon team who needed to win to guarantee entry into the playoffs.
Vikings_vs_Amazons.jpg
With no tackle on the team the Orcs struggled to contain the ladies and went behind early in the first half, receiving the ball the emerging star Asperon snatched up the ball and followed the wedge of black orcs down the left flank. With time running out and re-rolls disappearing on some poor blocking dice the greenskins overstretched and were punished by a well executed series of blocks to crowd surf the ball carrier and prevent the equalizer before half-time :oops:

The second half was much better, removing 'zons and grinding up the pitch, though the opposition made it tough enough that a win looked unlikely so the focus was on slow and steady and take the draw. Returning uninjured from his time with the crowd Asperon eventually stepped over the line with Amazon's trying in vain to dodge into multiple tackle zones to prevent the score.

So, 1-1 final score, the Vikings take an undefeated record into the playoffs (only conceding 1 TD) and have enough in the bank to bring in Da Troll!

TalonBay
Star Player
Star Player

Post by TalonBay »

Can a mod shift this thread to the team blogs area? (Or tell me how I can)

I didn't realize it existed when I started the thread and it's clearly a better place for this, thanks in advance.