Advice on leaping...

Moderator: TFF Mods

Coach_Yriel
Rookie
Rookie

Advice on leaping...

Post by Coach_Yriel »

I know, don't do it unless you really need to.

I will be playing a Slann team soon and am looking for specific advice regarding leaping.

Things like:

Leaping instead of dodging: just a way to clear angles? If the roll is the same (without dodge but with VLL), is it always better to leap?

Are there angles for defensive leaping that would negate the need for a dodge afterward...that still allow for forward progress?

I know that much of the Slann talk is about leaping into cages, or not leaping until your opponent forgets...but what other approaches to leaping are there?

Thanks in advance!

Reason: ''
Afroman
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Advice on leaping...

Post by Afroman »

Well, I'm not a leaper but I know this:

Leap is harder than dodge(you get +1) and there isn't any skill reroll for it.
(Of course, for Slann who has VLL on everyone you get +1 on leap aswell)

OTOH leap gives you 2 squares with one roll, ignores tackle zones and is harder to counter.

Generalizing you could say that dodge with dodge is usually better(read safer) than leaping with VLL. But it is extremely(wait for it......) situational/positional(or whatever it is called).

/Afroman

BTW: for some reason DT doesn't work on leap(grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :pissed: )

Magictobe
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Magictobe »

The dodge roll and leap roll are as difficult as the other (without dodge skill or other modifiers)

So the only difference is the place you will end when you would fail the roll and that you have to watch every time you make the roll.

Sometimes you want to lay on the ground on the space where you were going to dodge, or the place where you were gonna leap. That is the only thing you must take in consideration.

IMHO.

Piousman
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Piousman »

You also look at dodging through multiple Tacklezones... that one is a biggy, where Leap makes it all one roll.

- Piousman

Corvidius
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Corvidius »

Leap loves diagonals. I've used Wood Elves and have been using Slann recently and it's amazing the amount of squares of movement Leap can save you when trying to get round a player.

Ps. Pro lets you reroll leap but then again it let's you reroll 50 percent of most things. :)

txapo
Star Player
Star Player

Post by txapo »

And one thing very important: you can leap just one square!! many times is much more advisable!!

neverworking
Veteran
Veteran

Post by neverworking »

An Ag3 leap w/VLL is marginally less likely to work than 2 GFIs (2/3 success vs. 25/36) if a longer route would solve the path problem; an AG4 leap w/VLL would be better off leaping in the same situation.

In desperate situations, opportunities can arise where a leap will fill a hole to facilitate a chain push that enables some other crafty and otherwise impossible play. I'd emphasize "desperate situations" on that though.

Coach_Yriel
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Coach_Yriel »

Hey guys- thanks for all the replies thus far. I will have to do some playtesting to start getting the knack of it.

Does anyone have any specific situations where leap has really given them a new type of tactic? I love the crowd-push idea that was mentioned and hadn't even thought of that!

Piousman
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Piousman »

My AG5 Block Dodge [edit]and Leap Werewolf is a beast. No cage is ever safe from him.

- Piousman

ssb

Post by ssb »

Leaping... In Slaan teams...

Here is my team last year (played the play off of my league)
http://lutececup.org/index.php?page=56&team_id=56

Here is my slaan team, this year. I just made it fo the play off :
http://lutececup.org/index.php?page=15&team_id=39

Is it always better to leap ?
As it is the same roll, you can chose the one fits better you needs. But no, if there is absolutely no necessity in jumping, I will dodge. For a simple reason: you are allowed only one jump per player. So if ever you change your mind and need to jump after your first dodge, then you can. If you have used it already, you won't be able to improvise if you mind sees something you have overseen.

First, for leaping, you will need a lot of rerolls.
Because there are no "agile leap" skill that allows you to reroll this action...

- Leaping makes your team very fast. You can go straight in the direction you whish to go most of the time.

- Leaping can be wisely used in "push-push" technique...

- leaping is learned by practise. I think, with time, I have managed to "see" the blood bowl field via the eyes of the leaper. Because perspective are twisted. There are a lot more solutions to any action with a leaping team.

- Defensively, you have listed two of the possibilities. Aggressive leaping and the "wait and see" strategies are very effective. I favor the "wait and see" => I build my team around the guard skill.

- Offensively, The basics stays very efficient. With a leaping team, as soon as you are at TD's range, nobody knows how to stop you anymore...

- The "jump-up" + leap combination can be very surprising for an opponent. I have put my Slaan blockers on the Scrimmage a few times, and it has proven very annoying for the oposing coach. But at 110 000po... I am not really eager to sacrifice these players...

Well, the art of leaping is to be played more than be explained : Experience has it's walue in it. But just know that the possibilities are multiplied by 10 when you play.

Corvidius
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Corvidius »

txapo wrote:And one thing very important: you can leap just one square!! many times is much more advisable!!
But it still costs 2 squares of movement. :)

Skurk78
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Skurk78 »

My kid who plays skaven and high elves loves leaping over the defensive line when recieving. And I really hate having my defensive zone flooded with 4 gutter runners or HE catchers. On or two of them I can usually deal with, but 4 of them is just painful.

Death to the high elves. Dark Elves prevail!!!
sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

Piousman wrote:My AG5 Block Dodge Werewolf is a beast. No cage is ever safe from him.

- Piousman
Leap as well?

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
Smurf
mattgslater's court jester

Post by Smurf »

Do it when you have to.

If you can get by on a dodge and a GFI then it's a bit better.

Do not do it often, keep the trick in the back pocket and suprise you opponents when you do do it.

Some people will just forget you have leap if you don't use it. And that is a better way of playing it.

Back up with a reroll or pro is good too. But playing desparately sometimes pays off.

The Scrumpers (Wood Elf)
Timog (Chaos Dwarves)
Cursed Crypt (Khemri)
Fur Fur Furious (Skaven)
Piousman
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Piousman »

sann0638 wrote:
Piousman wrote:My AG5 Block Dodge LeapWerewolf is a beast. No cage is ever safe from him.

- Piousman
Leap as well?
- Duh! of course, I corrected. I rolled Ag+, Skill (Block), Ag+, Skill (Dodge), Skill (Pro)

- Piousman