2011 Painting Competition - Picture Heavy

Moderators: lunchmoney, Jimjimjimany, Boneless, deeferdan, TFF Mods

nazgob
Legend
Legend

2011 Painting Competition - Picture Heavy

Post by nazgob »

I took quite a few photos on the day, and though that people might like to see them (did seek permission first though). Hopefully everyone will get some enjoyment, whilst others, like me, will have some idea of the standard they have to aim for if they want to win.

I apologise in advance because I didn't take down anyone's name or team name. Some you may recognise, but others, you may not. If anyone knows who they belong to, please tell me.

The winner:

Richard Neave's Skaven

An awful lot of effort has gone into the little details, from the playbook in the coach's hand to the rats on the floor.

And the remaining finalists, in no particular order.

Deathwing's Chaos Pact
I'm pretty sure that these are already on the forums, but I could be wrong. Brilliant modelling, and some excellent counters.

Humans
A great example of just what can be achieved with GW's plastic kits. I particularly like the Ogress' ruff and the faces are also excellent.

Wood Elves
Featuring a heavily converted Durthu as their Treeman, and some great support staff.

Rikardo's Lizardmen
A really bright colour scheme, with brilliant contrasts. The careful use of the spot colour really helps the colour scheme come alive.

Goblins
A really characterful paint job, bright, fun and well executed. Some great conversions, especialy on the river trolls and the pogoer.

Jokero's Amazonian Daemonnettes
I think that this was a team of Wood Elves, but I could well be wrong. Outstanding flesh tones.

Richy's Undead
With an egyptian theme, and an entirely crazy base. He built a pyramid. A pyramid.

Nippy Longscar's Lizardmen
A most fantastic basing effort, which blended the models with the display base almost seamlessly. Someone may correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that this team is also heavily converted. Linky

Battlepuppy's Christmas Goblins
Without a doubt, the most fun entrant. Came complete with antlered trolls, ski jumping goblins and fully working fairy lights.

Harlequins - Wood Elves
Lastly some harlequins from a moderately bemused individual. Not really sure how these ended up here, but if you want some WIP shots, take a look at my Blog (link in signature).

Reason: ''
Urb
Super Star
Super Star

Re: 2011 Painting Competition - Picture Heavy

Post by Urb »

This is great. Funny comments about your own work. Clearly every one of these teams are winners.

Young Caine: Old man, how is it that you hear these things?
Master Po: Young man, how is it that you do not?
Lycos
Da Ex-Boss

Post by Lycos »

The standard of the painting this year was quite exceptional. Almost all the good painters in the community I know who were there all said the same thing.

Mike, I thought your harlequins were brilliant. I remember talking to Antipixi about them.

Additional input: the Pact team is by Former President, Deathwing. (aka Woody).

The Undead themed Egyptian team is by Richy of the ECBBL. That is not just a pyramid he built... it lifts up, and the team are stored inside it for safe mobility. How clever is that!!

TFF mod team
rickardo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by rickardo »

The blue lizards are mine :-)

Deathwing
The Voice of Reason

Post by Deathwing »

I was humbled and surprised to have my team up there amongst such illustrious company. The standard of all of them were top notch.
Without any disrespect intended it was a toss up for me between Richard's Skaven and the Harlequins. I had the pleasure of playing against Richard's Skaven at Pearlies (where they also took best paint), just a wonderful team. The Harlequins are simply exquisite, had a look at them in Bugman's on one of the evenings.

Great work by everybody concerned, a pleasure to see them all.

"Deathwing treats newcomers like sh*t"
"...the brain dead Mod.."
Ironjaw
Crassest person in Blood Bowl

Post by Ironjaw »

I've seen Nippy's Lizardmen (with the NAF base) at least 10 times and I still gawp at how great they are.

Mr 1-in-20
Thadrin
Moaning Git

Post by Thadrin »

I had to be exceedingly picky, to the exceptional of petty, to decide my vote. For example: I discounted Richy's marvellous effort on the basis that I thought one of the minis looked like it was taking a dump, and I discounted the human team simply because the theme wasn't one I liked. Like I said, petty things...but the sort of thing you have to resort to with work of such exceptional standard. I know I sat on the board next to the wood elves at one point, they were absolutely exceptional and I told the guy so. I played against Woody's pact. He didn't think that they were that good and I was happy to see others disagreed too.

I know a bear that you don't know. * ICEPELT IS MY HERO.
Master bleater. * Not in the clique.
Member of the "3 digit" club.
nazgob
Legend
Legend

Post by nazgob »

Deathwing, which were yours?

SillySod
Eternal Rookie
Eternal Rookie

Post by SillySod »

Ironjaw wrote:I've seen Nippy's Lizardmen (with the NAF base) at least 10 times and I still gawp at how great they are.
Fact.

I dont vote for them (I have a straight forward rule not to vote for something I've seen before) but I'm very glad they keep being nominated because it gives me an excuse to look at them some more :)

Victim of the Colonel's car boot smash. First person to use Glynn's bath.
Update: the Hartlepool family Glynn now has a virgin bath.

Barney is a clever dog.
Hangus
Scotland's Saviour

Post by Hangus »

Ironjaw wrote:I've seen Nippy's Lizardmen (with the NAF base) at least 10 times and I still gawp at how great they are.
I cannot passed looking at his pecks to see his team. They are a great concept team well executed.

Down with this sort of thing....
Careful now.....

Where's my hat?
Thadrin
Moaning Git

Post by Thadrin »

nazgob wrote:Deathwing, which were yours?
The Pact is Woody aka Deathwing's team.

Deathwing
The Voice of Reason

Post by Deathwing »

nazgob wrote:Deathwing, which were yours?
Yep, the Pact. (Only Pact team present in the field I believe).
Maybe hence the confusion:
Simian wrote:

I have no idea what team by SimianSpy, on Flickr
Thadrin wrote: I played against Woody's undead.....
:)

Thread here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=33664

"Deathwing treats newcomers like sh*t"
"...the brain dead Mod.."
Thadrin
Moaning Git

Post by Thadrin »

Deathwing wrote:
Thadrin wrote: I played against Woody's undead.....
:)
me head stop working.

No idea where that came from. Editted now. Mea culpa. Me idiot.

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Thadrin wrote:Me idiot.
Agreed. :wink:

It was a hard job narrowing it down to just those teams - I think there were another 6 or 7 teams that one or the other of us nominated for the vote. Fantastic work all round - just makes me said I'll never get anything even remotely close to any of those efforts.

Oh, and the Xmas Goblins are Battlepuppy's. Iirc the Daemonettes are Jokero's Amazon team.
I thought I'd kept a list of all the nominee's, but if I did, I can't find it... :oops:

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
firebreather
Champion Muppet

Post by firebreather »

I will admit i didnt vote, i narrowed it down to about half a dozen but that was as best as i could do, wouldnt have been suprised to have seen any of them awarded the prize, all amazing teams, and good photos too, very much appreciated.

For info, i played against the yellow & red Goblins in game 5, they were put together by one of the welsh lads, Gavin username Wizaard