55%
NO!
45%

Total votes: 31

shaniepoo
Party Boy

FF1?

Post by shaniepoo »

Is FF going to play a big part in this Tournament? Im toying with the idea of only going with FF1.

Reason: ''
The Cutlery King - Winner of 6 Wooden spoons... and proud of each one! :D
Thadrin
Moaning Git

Post by Thadrin »

2 very good reasons to take a reasonable FF (I'm going with 4)
1) Pitch Invasion
2) Throw a rock
I just know if I took the FF1 variation I was thinking of then I'd get stung.

I know a bear that you don't know. * ICEPELT IS MY HERO.
Master bleater. * Not in the clique.
Member of the "3 digit" club.
shaniepoo
Party Boy

Post by shaniepoo »

But there is only a small % of you rolling them on the table. Is it worth the risk????? :-?

The Cutlery King - Winner of 6 Wooden spoons... and proud of each one! :D
DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

The argument for high FF is - Pitch Invasion and/or Get the Ref can cost you a game.

Low FF on the other hand means you should have at least another player or TRR, and those should win you games that you would have lost otherwise.

Ian 'Double Skulls' Williams
Thadrin
Moaning Git

Post by Thadrin »

That depends what the money would otherwise go to.
I certainly wouldn't feel comfortable without at lest a couple of points in FF. You never know - a couple of Chhering fans results could be a real difference maker.

Sure it ain't likely, but it pays to be prepared.

I know a bear that you don't know. * ICEPELT IS MY HERO.
Master bleater. * Not in the clique.
Member of the "3 digit" club.
Elfhater
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Elfhater »

I'd say go for FF.
Winning the roll and getting either a free re-roll, scared replacement Ref or one or more of your opposition injured is always useful.
I guess it also depends on the team you use. A team that can score quickly will suffer more from FF1 than a team that's slow. You'll be able to get Touchdowns quickly, but that means more rolls on the Kick-Off table and thus more chance for your team to get stomped into the turf by a rampaging horde of fans! :wink:

Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

Well at spikey i had ff8 and in my first match vs an orc team with ff1 i rolled pitch invasion and lost the roll and got 6 players hit, one was a ko mummy. So well I would rather have a high ff than a low one but it depends on what else you take. There isn't that much difference between ff1 and ff4, especially on 2d6. Though obviously its in favour of the higher ff.

Indigo
Not Grumpy in the slightest

Post by Indigo »

me too - having a decent fan factor (>= 3 IMO) is pretty much essential... there are 4 results on the kick off table that use FF, nos 3, 5, 11 & 12

Altogether, this equates to 9/36 or 25% of the results.

Assuming 4 KO a game, that means you average one a game, and over 6 games...

see my point?

DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

Indigo wrote:see my point?
Ah, but what would you do with the extra money?

So saying 1 kick off per game sounds good, but in practice you could end up with 1 less reroll, or a line man rather than positional player. Factoring in that makes it a far harder decision than you are making out. Especially since the difference between say, a Blitzer or Line man is much harder to calculate.

Also you imply that FF 4 will always win against FF 1. That is not the case. Admittedly the odds are more in your favour but if FF really matters then FF 7/8/9 should be your choice.

Ian 'Double Skulls' Williams
Bevan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Bevan »

ianwilliams wrote: Also you imply that FF 4 will always win against FF 1. That is not the case. Admittedly the odds are more in your favour but if FF really matters then FF 7/8/9 should be your choice.
The best "value for money" is to be 3 FF higher than your opponent. If you have 4 or more FF higher then (most of the time) you will have wasted your money on the extra FF.

So if everyone else is FF9 then you either need to join them at FF9 or go for FF1 and have the better team. Any other option will waste funds on FF and you'll still lose most of the relevant kickoff events.

However, if everyone else goes for FF1 to optimize their teams then you should go for FF4. Any higher and you waste your money. Any lower and you fail to benefit from the kickoff events.

But if everone works this out then FF7 is best. :-?

It depends a lot on the team. The usual elf starting team expects to lose several of the early games while building up the team. For a tournament you can't afford the early losses. So you have to start with low FF in order to have a playable team in the first 2 games. Most other teams can also be much stronger by dropping FF.

I expect that in a tournament, in most cases, buying 1 extra RR (or more position players) and dropping FF to 3 or 4 will win more games than you lose. Particularly if everyone else does the same and all start with 1-4 FF. :D

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

well, I've gone for FF3, and as the chances of winning the tournament are pratically 0, I'm going for the fun.

My (realistic) aim is to finish in the 75th-125th bracket.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

think i got ff1 or was it ff3 its no higher than 3 thats for sure

Deathwing
The Voice of Reason

Post by Deathwing »

I'd be happy to gamble low..Me and Longshot took identical High Elf rosters to the Spiky Open, with the sole difference being that I went with 2 rerolls and FF6 whilst Longshot went 3 rerolls and FF1. I think he went the right route. I didn't get much help (but some) from FF6 over the 6 games, whereas Yohann had 12 guaranteed re-rolls over that same period of 6 games. Clever chap.
Of course you're risking losing an occasional game to a Pitch Invasion, but I had one in my favour at Spiky which resulted in one stunned Skaven Linerat!
So yeah, I'll be chancing my arm with low FF for guaranteed strength on the pitch or a guaranteed 2 rerolls per game...nothing ventured, right? :wink:

"Deathwing treats newcomers like sh*t"
"...the brain dead Mod.."
Evil Git
Hoomin's Deliverer

Post by Evil Git »

i personally don't think that FF will play that much of a part in the tourney. my thinking behind this is just simply that the lower the FF then the more players you should have (well in theory anyway) and this should negate the effects of throw a rock etc.

for my halfling team i'm going for FF of 4. This is solely because after buying everything else that i think i may need (including that master chef) it's the amount of spare change that i've got in my sky rocket.

i also think that alot of others will base their teams on a similar formula (get what you need, add another lino and see what you got left).

http://www.createforum.com/teamscotlandbb
Indigo
Not Grumpy in the slightest

Post by Indigo »

I follow the same line - I buy my team, then any spare cash goes into fan factor...

Although FF will only have a limited part to play, I'd still prefer 4 over 1 anyday... but if my best team comes out with FF 1, so be it