A few questions

Moderators: lunchmoney, Jimjimjimany, Boneless, deeferdan, TFF Mods

Indigo
Not Grumpy in the slightest

A few questions

Post by Indigo »

Hi,

Although I've been playing BB for years, this is going to be my first BB tourny appearance, and like a lot of other people I have some questions! Deep breath, here goes...

1) Sportsmanship - This is a huge part of any tournament IMO, so I am trying hard not to take a beardy team. I've already ruled out any star players, but I was looking for people's opinions about taking Big Guys (an Ogre). I've converted one especially, and he even fits in with the fluff I have written! Which brings me onto my next point...

2) Fluff - in all the GW-ran 40k tournaments I've been to, you get marked on whether or not your team has any background. Is this going to happen at this tournament?

3) Although I have bought a new team for the occaison, I am guessing that the use of the female shadowforge team will be illegal. However, in the pack it states "appropriate or converted Citadel miniatures"... which means if my figs are appropriate... (flimsy argument, I know, and theoretical anyway!!)

4) Any recommendations for a cheap B&B in the area?

I'm really looking forward to this - according to the MO guy, I got the second ticket sold :D
If anyone wants to come and say hi on the day, I'll be the big guy with ginger hair, no doubt wearing a Newcastle shirt (black & white stripes) to fit in with my team colours...

Until then

Reason: ''
McSnaga
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by McSnaga »

Let's see .

1) I'm taking a Star Player ... mostly because the league I'm in doesn't allow them and so I rarely get a chance to use them. I would frown upon humans taking both Griff and Luthor though .. that is just beardy (imho).

2) Not according to the rules. Although if you have any supporting 'stuff' I'm sure others will enjoy the experience. e.g specially painted cheerleaders or head coach models etc.

3) Citadel models only - whether converted or not.

4) Someone said the Acorn Hotel was cheap.

Usual caveats apply. All opinions my own and anyone that disagrees with them can do so, providing I get the opportunity to kill their blitzer !

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. "
Terry Pratchett
McDeth
Legend
Legend

Post by McDeth »

I am definitely taking a star player, firstly because i want to compete on what i believe to be even terms, as i expect the majority of people to have one. Secondly NAF points are up for grabs, and whatever peoples opinions on sportsmanship, i dont intend droppping any NAF ranking points, and sportsmanship has no bearing on this.

Also because the way the spoortsmanship points are allocated you'd have to keep everyone you play in beer all day long to get more than 1 bonus point at the final allocation.

Out of the six people i'm to play if they see me as there best or worst sporting opponent is down to that individual. If i win 3-0 then i doubt that they'll vote for me, no matter how many jokes we share, or how many times i let him re-roll the dice and break rules without question.
At the end of the day the sportsmanship votes are too subjective to make an allowance for. Someones cup of tea is someone elses poison, so i'll take no heed of them at all. I'm going to play fair and play hard, and hope to be respected for it. They'll certainly come away knowing you've been in a game, and if they break the rules expect a friendly reminder, Hell i'll even move the turn marker for them if neccesary.

Anyway after i've won my first 5 games, i wont be needing any bonuses :lol:

Deathwing
The Voice of Reason

Re: A few questions

Post by Deathwing »

Indigo wrote:Hi,

Although I've been playing BB for years, this is going to be my first BB tourny appearance, and like a lot of other people I have some questions! Deep breath, here goes...

1) Sportsmanship - This is a huge part of any tournament IMO, so I am trying hard not to take a beardy team. I've already ruled out any star players, but I was looking for people's opinions about taking Big Guys (an Ogre). I've converted one especially, and he even fits in with the fluff I have written! Which brings me onto my next point...

2) Fluff - in all the GW-ran 40k tournaments I've been to, you get marked on whether or not your team has any background. Is this going to happen at this tournament?

3) Although I have bought a new team for the occaison, I am guessing that the use of the female shadowforge team will be illegal. However, in the pack it states "appropriate or converted Citadel miniatures"... which means if my figs are appropriate... (flimsy argument, I know, and theoretical anyway!!)

4) Any recommendations for a cheap B&B in the area?
Well, here's my take:

1) I'd never mark anybody down for team selection. It's a competitive game, and taking a roster which they think will give them the best possible chance of doing well is part and parcel of tournament play. This, after all, isn't WFB or 40K where the army lists allow a lot more opportunity to push the envelope in terms of selection. We're talking about 11, 12 or 13 players for the most part. How beardy can you get?

2) No.

3) Shadowforge figs are illegal. They have to be 'Citadel' figs.

4) There's a thread of accomodation/travel arrangements with a couple of links, check it out.

"Deathwing treats newcomers like sh*t"
"...the brain dead Mod.."
Marcus
Da Tulip Champ I

Post by Marcus »

Sportsmanship is how you behave at the table, not how beardy your team is.

Be honest, enthusiastic and pay close attention to your opponent's enjoyment of the game.

Yelling "HAHA! Suck Shit!" as you foul a player off the pitch is unsporting.
Looking at your opponent with a look of deep sincerity and intoning "I'm really sorry I injured your player" is unsporting because, face facts, you're not sorry you lying toerag.

Getting into the game, enjoying every moment, and matching your opponents mood so they feel comfortable in the match is good sportsmanship.

Doesn't hurt to get a round in either.

Marcus - [url=http://www.talkbloodbowl.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=42448#42448]Hall of Famer[/url] - [url=http://www.irwilliams.com/ecbbl/index.php]Edinboro Castle Blood Bowl League[/url]
Indigo
Not Grumpy in the slightest

Post by Indigo »

good points, all of them. I guess I had let my ideas on sportsmanship be influenced by 40k...

fair enough then, zug is coming out of the box :wink:

Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

I concur with what mcdeth said, though not the part about him winning his first 5 games, specially if i get to meet him ;]

McDeth
Legend
Legend

Post by McDeth »

Damn i want to add to my post Deathwings and Marcus's comments, wish i'd thought of them as well. :oops:

Slinky78
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Slinky78 »

Marcus wrote:
Yelling "HAHA! Suck Shit!" as you foul a player off the pitch is unsporting.
It's not? Oh. I never normally object to people doing that, as long as they understand that from that point on they have to let me win or I'm going to physically hurt them after the game.